What 27.5" front and rear wheeled bikes are available now and possibly 2023?

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
With the '22 bikes I like the spec of the TM but the blue colour of the SL 🤦‍♂️ Maybe '23 will bring a colour combo and spec I like 🤔
I liked the spec of the 140 AT but wanted the sand colour of the 160 SL.
So I chose the most interesting way: (partially) upgrading the SL was cheaper and faster than repainting an AT.

Last edited:

Trom

Sep 1, 2022
Holmfirth
I have a cube stereo 160 with 750 new smart system on 27.5's, as you say I find it easier on the steep stuff than my 29'r, a mate has an old Whyte 180 travel, good bike, but battery cover and removal is a pain, however Whyte have improved this for the latest model, one of our group has a Rocky Mountain all 27.5, 625wh battery, however spider clutch constantly causes issues, and runs out of battery quite quickly, kenevo looks proper good, but very pricy over the Cube 750 new smart system. hope you get a good deal, and service.
T

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
I have a cube stereo 160 with 750 new smart system on 27.5's, as you say I find it easier on the steep stuff than my 29'r, a mate has an old Whyte 180 travel, good bike, but battery cover and removal is a pain, however Whyte have improved this for the latest model, one of our group has a Rocky Mountain all 27.5, 625wh battery, however spider clutch constantly causes issues, and runs out of battery quite quickly, kenevo looks proper good, but very pricy over the Cube 750 new smart system. hope you get a good deal, and service.
T
After looking into it I'm really surprised that almost no one offers 27.5 front and rear now 😭 I know it sounds weird and probably isn't an issue but the one thing stopping me buying a new Cube 160 750wh is the steering lock in the headset. I'd be paranoid about having it get forced too far and breaking whatever mechanism is in there, and replacing the headset for an aftermarket would be a pain possibly, is the streering lock even in the headset itself?

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
We established on another thread that on the Medium Cube Stereo 160 the top of the forks would hit the downtube if the steering lock broke which would scratch and possibly damage the downtube if that happened. Looks like on the Large frames the fork has clearance and wouldn't hit the frame.

Trom

Sep 1, 2022
Holmfirth
After looking into it I'm really surprised that almost no one offers 27.5 front and rear now 😭 I know it sounds weird and probably isn't an issue but the one thing stopping me buying a new Cube 160 750wh is the steering lock in the headset. I'd be paranoid about having it get forced too far and breaking whatever mechanism is in there, and replacing the headset for an aftermarket would be a pain possibly, is the streering lock even in the headset itself?
Not sure mate, but it does not seem to be part of the frame, so not worried, but much better for going through narrow gates, lifting etc.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
Not sure mate, but it does not seem to be part of the frame, so not worried, but much better for going through narrow gates, lifting etc.
I'd hazard a guess it's part of the headset so fitting an aftermarket headset could be an issue.

I think the Whtye bikes only have 27.5" wheels on the Small and Extra Small sizes and that the rest have 29" but I may be wrong about that depending on the model.

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK

It's not an issue. A friend had a crash at the weekend, toppled down an embankment. The bars were turned fully and hit hard enough to snap the brake lever. No issues with the lock at all.
It really isn't a thing to worry about.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
It's not an issue. A friend had a crash at the weekend, toppled down an embankment. The bars were turned fully and hit hard enough to snap the brake lever. No issues with the lock at all.
It really isn't a thing to worry about.
Well that's good to know.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
So wondering if you can fit and aftermarket Headset with a lock then because the FSA on my '20 Cube was creaking and clicking after 2 years and because cleaning greasing and tightening etc didn't fix it I replaced it with a Superstar Components headset.

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
So wondering if you can fit and aftermarket Headset with a lock then because the FSA on my '20 Cube was creaking and clicking after 2 years and because cleaning greasing and tightening etc didn't fix it I replaced it with a Superstar Components headset.

I'm not sure how the lock is applied tbh. I like it as it makes the bike more stable when I lean it on things😂

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles