Well, today was one of those crushingly disappointing new bike days!

big_scot_nanny

Subscriber
Nov 23, 2022
Scotland
Hi there,

I’m a recent joiner, so go easy :)

An emotional day with my new, and first ebike. Long term mtber, but finally cracked!

Bought a Reign E+ MX1 Pro, dealer put on all my ‘stuff’ (240 dropper, saddle, preferred tires etc etc) and i went to pick it up today. After setting everything up, I rode round the block out the shop for a quick shakedown, shop assistant waiting outside to help load it into my car.

Felt awesome, jumped off to load it into car and noticed B3 light was flashing red. Speed sensor issue according to manual.

Back to the shop, nothing obvious that they could see as causing the problem. Definitely borked. Will call me next week with resolution.

I bloody bought a Giant as it was the right bike, without a shimano motor. FFS!!!!

Will update, but jeez, this is more upsetting than a waiting for a Pole that never arrives (have an Evolink, couldn‘t face the barefaced lies again if i bought a Voima).

Noooooooo! 😭

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
That is a shitter, feel for you.
grouphug.gif

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Felt awesome, jumped off to load it into car and noticed B3 light was flashing red. Speed sensor issue according to manual.

On the bright side, the problem arose before you left the shop, rather than on the trail, ten miles from the nearest road. Maybe your disappointment can be placated if the shop gives you a new jersey to wipe your tears. Can't hurt to ask.

big_scot_nanny

Subscriber
Nov 23, 2022
Scotland
Thank you all for allowing me to vent my angst!

As usual, my mind stared spinning out lots of worst case scenarios and reasons why i had just pissed thousands up the wall for no return. And no bloody e assisted biking.

However, about 1.5hrs after writing my post last night, i got a phone call from the bike shop. The staff had stayed behind way after closing to diagnose and fix the fault. Turned out it was indeed the speed sensor, which apparently is in the disc side chainstay. It was erratically throwing errors.

They had another E+ 1 in the shop, so stripped and swapped sensors to check - replacement threw no errors, and the old one now in the other bike threw errors again.

Good process that.

The owner then came round to the house to deliver the bike himself, and talk me through stuff one more time.

I then spent a good 2 hrs buggering about with it to get things set up ‘just so’, and am about to head out for the inaugural ride.

Fingers crossed nothing falls off! Might go a tighten up the crank bolts just in case!

big_scot_nanny

Subscriber
Nov 23, 2022
Scotland
Credit where credit‘s due - Velocity 44 Giant Store in Stirling.

I’ve been a frame only kinda guy for a long time, but with E it seemed logical to use the LBS. Glad I did. I was down to Voima, Megawatt or Giant E+ Reign, and good local dealer swung the decision. Good call me :)

First ride this morning, and apart from hiring haibike hardtails in St. Anton 4yrs ago with my son, first proper Ebike MTB ride into the bargain.

Main thoughts: Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

This is going to require some mental rewiring as to what is possible. Even in lowest setting i got up just about everything a lot faster, next to lowest gives a real boost. Need to now recalibrate to use gears AND power to clear steep/tech uphill bits that were absolutely not possible for me before. Get in! What fun!

I put my fave Wild Enduro on the front, but need something with more uphill bite than the high roller on the rear. that was not coping, though it’s cornering/off camber grip was pretty good.

1056m climbed, 26km, exactly 50% battery left at the end. Nice, happy with that (though may add an 800wh battery as a main battery - lots of big hills to go ride up!)

Bike itself is really good. I’ve a Pole Evolink and Hello Dave hardtail too, so well used to LLS geo. Suspension action seems absolutely bob on, just lovely on the downs, Could really push hard into the dips and turns to get that BRRRAAAAPPP! feeling. Lovely for this old pathetic mincer.

Fork is a standout (compared to my Mezzer Pro or Lyrik Ultimate), my first Fox since a 36 on a 1st gen NP mega many moons ago. Rear is plush, but feels a wee bit ‘dead’ - need to tweak beyond the base settings from Fox i applied last night.

Lots more to come. What a bike.

Something to ponder (As with others): I’ve got the flip chip in high setting, no bottoming out of shock so pressure seems OK, but pedal strikes are more frequent (even ripped out a pin from my vaults this morning). I run 170mm forks on both the other bikes, and their BBs are quite a bit higher (!), so i think there is an element of changing a bit my riding style, but there is scope for me to tune the rear shock too.

Thanks again all For helping me towards this bike.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
You soon learn to ride automatically avoiding most pedal strikes, it becomes second nature. But saying that, I recently replaced my DMR Vaults with Deity Tmacs and I *think* I have less pedal strikes. But that could be buyers justification for replacing one set of expensive pedals with another far more expensive set. But I do prefer the Deity Tmac platform for my 10.5-11 (UK) feet.

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Something to ponder (As with others): I’ve got the flip chip in high setting, no bottoming out of shock so pressure seems OK, but pedal strikes are more frequent (even ripped out a pin from my vaults this morning).

Glad the bike is now running well for you. Sounds like you have a solid dealer.

You asked, so I'll share a couple thoughts:

1. Pedal strikes aren't an indication of anything. Don't obsess about it. It don't mean nothin'. Don't forget that by raising it up, you're increasing your head angle. It's a trade-off.

2. Controlling the amount of shock travel with pressure might not result in optimum performance. Use the shock pressure to get an appropriate amount of sag. Then use the compression/rebound adjustments to get the ride you're looking for. If, after all that, you're bottoming out or not using enough travel, then start thinking about volume spacers.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
What length are the cranks on that bike?

If you cant time yout pedal strokes to avoid stiles then You could try shorter cranks.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I thought about shorter cranks because I was getting the occasional pedal strike while climbing over root-sections or rocks. But then I replaced my hubs. The POE (point of engagement) on the original hub was low(30ish?). The new hub is 216 POE (Project 321). My neighbor installed the i9 Hydra. We both noticed a reduction in the number of strikes probably because we could engage faster. It was a noticeable improvement for me. I like the quiet noise too. 👍🏻

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I thought about shorter cranks because I was getting the occasional pedal strike while climbing over root-sections or rocks. But then I replaced my hubs. The POE (point of engagement) on the original hub was low(30ish?). The new hub is 216 POE (Project 321). My neighbor installed the i9 Hydra. We both noticed a reduction in the number of strikes probably because we could engage faster. It was a noticeable improvement for me. I like the quiet noise too. 👍🏻
Good point about POE's and pedal strikes, never thought of that (mine are 5°). (y)

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Good point about POE's and pedal strikes, never thought of that (mine are 5°). (y)
1.7* seems to come to mind. Can’t remember if that’s the i9 Hydra or Project 321. My son-in-law installed the Hope hubs (54 Poe) but doesn’t rave about them. I don’t think I need the i9 Hydra Angry-Bee ($$$ and noisy but good). Regardless, a better Poe reduced my peddle strikes without having to shorten my crank arms (165mm). Thought about 155mm carbon but I’m happy with the 165mm.

In the past few weeks I’ve noticed a big difference when riding in the snow. Faster engagement to get out of a snow-rut or ploughing through the powder.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
In the past few weeks I’ve noticed a big difference when riding in the snow. Faster engagement to get out of a snow-rut or ploughing through the powder.

I find that with 72 poe when exiting a really slow tight turn I can get a burst of power virtually instantaneously. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that for 165mm cranks there's about 14.4mm max pedal movement before engagement.

Last edited:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I find that with 72 poe when exiting a really slow tight turn I can get a burst of power virtually instantaneously. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that for 165mm cranks there's about 14.4mm max pedal movement before engagement.
It’s not like I can dance on my peddles when I’m completely stopped …cause I can’t. But my buddy with the i9 Hydra can. He finds the higher Poe makes that easier.
I’m not sure what the peddle movement (mm) would be, but I don’t think instant engagement is necessary either. What I do know is that the higher Poe reduced my peddle strikes. I just don’t know what that magic Poe number would be?? 🤷‍♂️

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
It’s not like I can dance on my peddles when I’m completely stopped …cause I can’t. But my buddy with the i9 Hydra can. He finds the higher Poe makes that easier.
I’m not sure what the peddle movement (mm) would be, but I don’t think instant engagement is necessary either. What I do know is that the higher Poe reduced my peddle strikes. I just don’t know what that magic Poe number would be?? 🤷‍♂️
Diminishing returns obviously. At 72 poe I don't notice much if any delay but that's probably because my head is programmed for what I have. My guess is indiscernible below 10mm which with 165 cranks would be PI x diameter = 3.142 x 330 = 1037 / 10 = 100 poe, or about 3.6°

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Diminishing returns obviously. At 72 poe I don't notice much if any delay but that's probably because my head is programmed for what I have. My guess is indiscernible below 10mm which with 165 cranks would be PI x diameter = 3.142 x 330 = 1037 / 10 = 100 poe, or about 3.6°
You’re probably right. I noticed a significant Poe change so I was probably programmed to a low Poe. So 216 Poe felt like a big improvement to me and I was more able to navigate some slower climbs or faster peddle changes.

big_scot_nanny

Subscriber
Nov 23, 2022
Scotland
That really zoomed down a PoE rabbit hole, but I tend to agree with the points realised above.

On my Pole i have Hunt Endurowide wheels, which have 4.3 degrees turn before engagement, which is noticeably faster than any other hubs I have (Hope Pro 4 or Mavic). This definitely helps with slow nadgery tech. (And for my terrible trackstands!)

On the Reign, 2 full days of ownership and 70km distance + 2700m climbing in, i am getting to grips with The Beast.

Figured that a small bottle in a specialized side loading cage donated from another bike will fit - hurrah!

With me needing a BB-centre to saddle rail height of 810mm, standard bars are too low Although it’s not as bad as i thought due to BB being comparatively low. 60mm that i fitted is too high however, so will prob settle on 50mm rise. It’s not too onerous to change-over.

Will fit a mudguard at the back to protect the linkages/shock - there‘s huge pile of mud and stones in there right now!

Expect suspension tweaking will be needed, but base settings from Fox do feel pretty good. Might take the tokens out the fork just to give me more volume - I’m a big fella, tokens and smaller air chambers be damned!

markoricho

Apr 9, 2022
York
If you looking for a rear mudguard I've found a front Rrp Pro guard max fits like a glove on the reign, just drilled 2 holes to loop a zip tie through on the lower chainstay brace.
It keeps the bike much cleaner and really helps keeping water out of the motor area.
Bit of self amalgamating tape helps protect the frame and the zip ties bed into it and stop any movement.
IMG_20221026_153432.jpg

big_scot_nanny

Subscriber
Nov 23, 2022
Scotland
This is a great testimony for lbs vs direct
If you looking for a rear mudguard I've found a front Rrp Pro guard max fits like a glove on the reign, just drilled 2 holes to loop a zip tie through on the lower chainstay brace.
It keeps the bike much cleaner and really helps keeping water out of the motor area.
Bit of self amalgamating tape helps protect the frame and the zip ties bed into it and stop any movement.
View attachment 102854
Cheers, that tape is a good idea. I’ve taken the medium pro guard off my Pole and I’ll see how it goes. A longer one like yours may be useful. Good to hear your experiences with tokens, my history concurs.

Savan - i couldn‘t agree more. It;s fantastic. And since this is the equivalent of buying a new car, i am really pleased with over and above service. They will get more business (in fact, they already have, additional 800wh battery on the way)

Sep 18, 2020
Truckee Ca
I'm on my 2nd E Reign and have been very impressed with LBS service and the overall performance of the bike. I rode both bikes without upgrading anything important saving me $$. I had a problem with my new Reign, just after getting it, the motor kept shutting off randomly. It came back on but would shut off within minutes. I took it in and when the LBS called Giant they said send the battery back and they'd replace it (it was not sytncing with the motor). The new 800W battery had just come out so they upgraded me for the price difference. I went from a 625W to an 800W for $275 and now don't need the battery extender. It took 4 days for the delivery. I love the bike and if I do get the extender I'd have 1050W which is a lot!!!

Mikehorti

Subscriber
Apr 29, 2021
Surrey
Thank you all for allowing me to vent my angst!

As usual, my mind stared spinning out lots of worst case scenarios and reasons why i had just pissed thousands up the wall for no return. And no bloody e assisted biking.

However, about 1.5hrs after writing my post last night, i got a phone call from the bike shop. The staff had stayed behind way after closing to diagnose and fix the fault. Turned out it was indeed the speed sensor, which apparently is in the disc side chainstay. It was erratically throwing errors.

They had another E+ 1 in the shop, so stripped and swapped sensors to check - replacement threw no errors, and the old one now in the other bike threw errors again.

Good process that.

The owner then came round to the house to deliver the bike himself, and talk me through stuff one more time.

I then spent a good 2 hrs buggering about with it to get things set up ‘just so’, and am about to head out for the inaugural ride.

Fingers crossed nothing falls off! Might go a tighten up the crank bolts just in case!
👏🏻 your LBS. Another great reason to shop local. Won’t get that level of service online!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles