Water resistant trousers

Crispy

Jul 4, 2022
Yorkshire
Hi guys,
well it looks like the wet season is well and truly on us.
My 2019 Specialized is we’ll prepped, but my problem is I’m not!
does anyone know we’re you can purchase long legged water resistant trouser. 36” leg and 36” waist?
as always thanks for any response
Crispy

Gilbo

Nov 16, 2022
Isle of man
Usual fox or endura stuff will do what it says it will. But expensive to replace when you fall off and tear it.
Dare2b and regatta stuff keeps you just as dry and warm ,but you won’t be upset when you come off and trash it. Ok not as fashionable who is gonna care when it’s covered in S__t.

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
I live and ride in a wet climate and I use these:

Screen Shot 2022-11-21 at 9.56.31 PM.png

They have a thin thermal liner also so they are good in the cold also.

Monkey Dog

Jun 4, 2020
Derbyshire
On my second pair of Regatta waterproof leggings.
They are waterproof & thin enough to stow away.
At sub £10.00 & they last well, they're a must 👍

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I'm going to say good luck! I'm 6ft 2" tall and need a 34" leg. Sadly most sportswear manufacturers seem to think your waist size is directly proportional to your height, and in order to get something with a 34" leg I'd need a 40" waist (I'm a 32" waist!). Not sure what you'll get with a 36" leg?

There's been a few pairs of trousers from various manufacturer's that I've ordered and returned as the 32" waist comes with a 32." leg - with no 'tall' or 'long' options. Fine for the short / average height people, but not so good for the taller.

I have a pair of Gore GoreTex trousers which are just long enough probably because they have articulated knees. They had a Black Friday coupon the other day, so I'd ordered a pair of GoreTex Infinitum trousers for drier days - or even for under the GoreTex trousers on cold days in a hope that they've got the same length of leg.

I tried the army surplus route too, and got a pair of Camo GoreTex trousers for winter for about £20. The legs were ludicrously short, so I ended up snipping them at the knees and using them as a pair of waterproof shorts. I have a Gore pair of them too - which I wear most of the time... but save the army ones for particularly disgusting days!!

Freeforester

Nov 6, 2022
Grampian
A bit agricultural, admittedly, but flexothane or Fort Airflex bib and braces trousers give all the room and protection if it’s really wet, coupled with a decent coat

SteveTTT

Mar 15, 2022
Hampshire, UK
Two suggestions - neither pretend to be waterproof but they resist water well enough.

Endura Humvee. I got some from Tredz - £30 in a sale a few weeks ago. Bargain! The are nylon with a DWR finish, so far been pretty good in light rain and on very wet deep muddy rutted trails. Fairly lightweight and I’m not sure how they will stand up to brambles, but very well made. I’ve also worn them out shooting.

Decathlon Rockriders - about£40. Mine are a year old and have had a pretty rough time. They are very hard wearing and keep water out well. Only two minor issues, 1. one of the elasticated ankle cuffs is fraying slightly where thorns have snagged, and 2. the zip fly is only half the length you’d expect so taking a pee means taking them down! All-Mountain MTB Bottoms

Monkey Dog

Jun 4, 2020
Derbyshire
Two suggestions - neither pretend to be waterproof but they resist water well enough.

Endura Humvee. I got some from Tredz - £30 in a sale a few weeks ago. Bargain! The are nylon with a DWR finish, so far been pretty good in light rain and on very wet deep muddy rutted trails. Fairly lightweight and I’m not sure how they will stand up to brambles, but very well made. I’ve also worn them out shooting.

Decathlon Rockriders - about£40. Mine are a year old and have had a pretty rough time. They are very hard wearing and keep water out well. Only two minor issues, 1. one of the elasticated ankle cuffs is fraying slightly where thorns have snagged, and 2. the zip fly is only half the length you’d expect so taking a pee means taking them down! All-Mountain MTB Bottoms
I have some of the Rock Riders & yes a pee stop is a faf 🤣

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
Again with the rockriders. I sent the first pair back because I thought they were a bit crap in the design. But later on I got some more and actually using them changed my mind. Mine are now torn to shreds and not waterproof so I need some more.

Julz

Jan 20, 2022
Innerleithen

I’ve tried loads of different options, Endura, fox, etc. These trail-running over trousers are the best thing for me when it’s seriously wet. Completely waterproof and breathable too. I’ve been out in 6in of snow and still stayed dry. They pack down into a pocket pouch and you can take them off going into cafes to avoid muddy seats. Plus they’re reasonable cost. My partner and I both have them and in year 3 of use now.
I’m long legged and they’re a good length too.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Best Trousers i've ever had are the Endura ones

Best waterproof full riding gear is my Dirtlj DirtSuit (Baby-gro) its fantastic.
View attachment 102223
I had a DirtlJ suit, I couldn’t wear it without sweating to death! The Endura MT500 suit was a bit better but still a sweat box. The new Leatt suits look really promising, they’re supposed to breathe really well, I’m going to order one and give it a go. I’m currently riding in the Fox 3L stuff but I really like the onsies, they’re so much easier.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I had a DirtlJ suit, I couldn’t wear it without sweating to death! The Endura MT500 suit was a bit better but still a sweat box. The new Leatt suits look really promising, they’re supposed to breathe really well, I’m going to order one and give it a go. I’m currently riding in the Fox 3L stuff but I really like the onsies, they’re so much easier.
My Endura MT500 trousers are a sweat box. The choice is wearing them and getting soaked by sweat from the inside or getting soaked by the rain from the outside.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Endura T500 spray............showerproof with a water proof ass............XL will fit 36 inch waist and leg length is fine ( 34/35 inch) as long as you do not wear your pants like Simon Cowell:p

StuR

Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean

Another dirtlej dirtsuit fan here but stumbled across these a couple of weeks ago
Tested them out today , really impressed
20 thousand waterproof and breathable
Side zip from ankle to above knee makes donning and doffing easy
Vent zip on both thighs
Pockets in hip area
All zips waterproof
I wore leatt 5.0 protective shorts
Full length lycra leggings and endura soft knee/shin pads underneath
Fit is relaxed but not baggy
They are wide enough at the bottom to fit over a winter boot but don't flap about
Retail at about £90
Shop around , I found them for £36
Absolute bargain !!!!
So I bought 2 pairs 😁
Quality is excellent
If these were made by Endura or Fox etc they would be £100 - £150

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I looked at the Leatt 5.0 mono suit - but another brand that doesn’t cater for tall thin people! Leg length gets bigger as the waist / chest gets larger… so in order to fit my legs I need an XXL, but for my waist / chest I need a M or L!

Don’t know why most sportswear manufacturers think this is realistic. Not everyone who is tall is ‘big’ and not everyone who is short has tiny waists. I know some very large very short people, who have the opposite problem… but at least they can roll the extra long legs up 😂😂

HateClimbs

Nov 3, 2018
Cardiff
As per some comments above, essential to try.
Fox an Endura - waist vs length mismatch being either too short (Fox) or too long by a lot (Endura)
best I have found for me were Madison, although finding someone that stocks Madison product remains a challenge.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
.................. The Endura MT500 suit was a bit better but still a sweat box. .......................
I thought the main claim to fame for MT500 gear was the 65,000 breathability score (I have 20,000 and zero problems on my stuff, so 65,000 is very high). If you have a fabric that highly breathable and you are drowning on the inside there must be something wrong with it, surely?

valecek

Apr 20, 2023
Slovakia
I had endura Humwee, singletrack, mt500 burner and.... Deacthlon all mountain.

did you know, whit ones I used for trail riding? Decathlon! 35€, waterproof, just a little wrapped out, but still stretched.

I go to work in enduros :D

1682015295860.png

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Hi guys,
well it looks like the wet season is well and truly on us.
My 2019 Specialized is we’ll prepped, but my problem is I’m not!
does anyone know we’re you can purchase long legged water resistant trouser. 36” leg and 36” waist?
as always thanks for any response
Crispy
36 long ??? Are you a giant :LOL:

SteveTTT

Mar 15, 2022
Hampshire, UK

I also have the Hummvee and Rockriders. Both were a bargain price. Rockriders are very tough and much better at resisting wet, but the elasticated cuffs snag easily on brambles and have suffered some damage. The zip fly is ridiculously short so you have to lower the whole thing to pee. Humvees are a great fit, useful pockets and the leg zips and Velcro fasteners make them very easy to put on and take off over boots. I also wear them for clay pigeon shooting. If I could only choose one for biking it would be the Rockriders (and try not to drink too much before the ride!)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles