• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Was this a mistake?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I took the wheels out and squirted peaty’s disc brake cleaner into the brake pads / callipers etc. I allowed everything to dry but now I’ve lost braking power and also they squeal.

will this get better or have I caused damage by spraying this stuff directly at the pads?

A40FBE6F-F850-4A9B-8447-8D14291E92EF.png

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I’d just go outside on tarmac and hard brake about twenty to thirty times squealing like a pig, but I imagine it’d sort it out

Bet they smell nice though. Those Peaty products all have a nice aroma. The lube I use has a strong minty tone. What fragrance is the brake cleaner?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I’d just go outside on tarmac and hard brake about twenty to thirty times squealing like a pig, but I imagine it’d sort it out

Bet they smell nice though. Those Peaty products all have a nice aroma. The lube I use has a strong minty tone. What fragrance is the brake cleaner?

i think it’s a type of alcohol aroma. I guess fragrances might leave a residue of some kind

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
I mean, the video on Peaty's page shows pads being sprayed not only directly but beyond liberally with the stuff & since Peaty is basically God, the conclusion has to be they intended it for this purpose. Personally I wouldn't go near braking surfaces with anything other than IPA & I'd only do that with the pads out & I was about to re-lube the pistons anyway.

Did you wipe it down with a contaminated cloth do you think? Anything like that?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles