Levo Gen 2 Warranty extension & Firmware Update for all 2019/20 Levo/Kenevo with 2.1 motors

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Since Specialized does not say exactly from which date the motors are the latest revisions no one knows for sure. But it seems also some 2021 Levos come with motors made in 2019 and Specialized specifically said all 2021 models have motors with latest improvements.

Last edited:

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Since Specialized does not say exactly from which date the motors are the latest revisions no one knows for sure. But it seems also some 2021 Levos come with motors made in 2019 and Specialized specifically said all 2021 models have motors with latest improvements.

Im pretty sure Specialized mentioned during one of the interviews that belt improvements came in Jan 2020 and sprag improvements came in April 2020. Dont hold me to that though ?

Markymark

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Surrey
How many out there have:
Contacted the LBS that they had supported by buying from them.
Arranged to drop in and have it done, 5 min job.
Were not charged.
Have had no problem.
I make it 1 so far.
I called in to Berkshire Cycles on Wednesday to see about the upgrade and book it in and the girl I spoke to told me to come in anytime as it was a 5 minute job.
So I rode over from Camberley via Swinley on Saturday and was out of the shop in 5 minutes with no charge.
Rode it home with no issues but will keep an eye on it.
Power seems the same but have not tried walk mode.
Off for a ride tomorrow so will report any problems.
Cheers!

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
My LBS (Cynergy) thinks maybe the motor was manufactured in 2019 but that maybe they have been refurbished with the newer belts & software? Does anyone know if this is accurate or maybe Specialized have so many older motors they will keep putting them in bikes and they will continue to fail but under the increased warranty we will be all be O.K. Either way I love the bike, it's very quiet now and I do not notice any power or torque change with the new software.

Yup thats correct, Brose are refurbishing the returned motors and these are going into Specialized’s stock. ?

Muzza

Jul 3, 2020
New Zealand
Had the upgrade & went out for the first ride today on my 2020 Levo Comp. Cant say for sure but steep grade I normally burn up seemed alot harder to get up, even down a gear. 4 km on & on a flat trail the motor started making a ticking noise which is present either with the motor on or off. At home spun the bike upside down and pedaled, seems at every quarter turn the cranks tighten & then free up. Sounds a bit like grinding on something. Only have done 165km & assume this is looking like a new motor required? Any ideas?

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Had the upgrade & went out for the first ride today on my 2020 Levo Comp. Cant say for sure but steep grade I normally burn up seemed alot harder to get up, even down a gear. 4 km on & on a flat trail the motor started making a ticking noise which is present either with the motor on or off. At home spun the bike upside down and pedaled, seems at every quarter turn the cranks tighten & then free up. Sounds a bit like grinding on something. Only have done 165km & assume this is looking like a new motor required? Any ideas?

Would be worth taking off the crank arms and cleaning the attachments as it could be dirt ingress; but if it doesnt fix it you are likely looking at motor replacement. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Muzza

Jul 3, 2020
New Zealand
Would be worth taking off the crank arms and cleaning the attachments as it could be dirt ingress; but if it doesnt fix it you are likely looking at motor replacement. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Cheers for that, spoke to LBS & they want to look into it. Probably change the brakes to XT while its there, so hopefully new motor & brakes for next weekend?

Markymark

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Surrey
Ok as promised an update from today's ride.
I ended up only doing 6-7 miles as my son ended up going over the bars on my Haibike. Cuts and scrapes but he's ok but wanted to get him home and said cuts cleaned up.
Anyway I didn't have any errors/flashing lights. I didn't try the walk mode.
I did however go up a steepish hill in trail mode and switched to turbo and did think that
there wasn't much difference but my cadence was a bit low but it also might of been my imagination. still got up the bank ok.
I thought that I had been doing really well in eco recently until I realized that I had somehow set eco to about 80% in mission control lol.
I'll let you know if I have any issues though.
Cheers!

ScottWest

Oct 17, 2019
Oregon
If it feels down on power after the update, try resetting the TCU. That worked for me. You will have to redo your setting in MC though.

Markymark

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Surrey
If it feels down on power after the update, try resetting the TCU. That worked for me. You will have to redo your setting in MC though.
I think the girl did that in the shop as she did something with the tcu and asked for me to start mission control and if she could use the phone.
I admit I didn't really pay much attention to what she was doing as it was just a firmware update.
I'll try a reset anyway, the app now states everything is up to date though.

Whizz

Oct 23, 2018
Belgium
First ride with the new firmware yesterday:
-motor error after 2 hours
-less power in eco and trail mode with the exact same settings
-no more more walking assistance ( so pour that even on flat your must push your bike)

It's a shame to publish a firmware like that!

SwissChess

Aug 6, 2020
Switzerland
2020 Levo com- motor died a screaming death at 827 miles. Cynergy Cycles replaced my motor in 24hrs. I was expecting a two week wait based on all I read on the many forums. Well done Cynergy & Specialized. Back on the trail soon. Seems they have a supply of motors ready and waiting for 2019/2020 owners. Well done all round. How can I check the date my ”new“ motor was made ? Someway to read the serial number I think.
new engine number is: E01680-100200619-1-5178
is this made after the problematic motors or is this a “old-new“ motor.
100200619 your Motor date ist 20.06.19

levosf

Aug 18, 2020
Laguna Beach, CA
Purchased a 2021 Turbo Levo Comp in August with a serial number of: E01680-100191204-5063 - I assume this is a 12.04.19 build motor.

Also just purchased a 2020 Turbo Levo Expert with a serial number of: E01680-100190725-0075 - I assume this is a 07.25.19 build motor.

Should I be concerned about a July '19 build motor on the Expert? Also the Comp having a '19 motor is concerning considering we are well into 2020 and it was recently purchased.

Thanks!

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Yup thats correct, Brose are refurbishing the returned motors and these are going into Specialized’s stock. ?
But even if they are refurbishing they are replacing these motors as they were new so they should also have new serial numbers with correct date of manufacture/refurbishing date.

Muzza

Jul 3, 2020
New Zealand
Quick update, turns out the chain guide had come slightly loose & dropped down just enough that each time a spider arm on the crank came around it would rub on the guide , hence the ticking & pressure at each quarter turn.
So no new motor, just brakes & drivetrain this time. Will reset the TCU as others have suggested to see if that sorts the power out.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Quick update, turns out the chain guide had come slightly loose & dropped down just enough that each time a spider arm on the crank came around it would rub on the guide , hence the ticking & pressure at each quarter turn.
So no new motor, just brakes & drivetrain this time. Will reset the TCU as others have suggested to see if that sorts the power out.
Awesome thats good news and an easy fix ?

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Purchased a 2021 Turbo Levo Comp in August with a serial number of: E01680-100191204-5063 - I assume this is a 12.04.19 build motor.

Also just purchased a 2020 Turbo Levo Expert with a serial number of: E01680-100190725-0075 - I assume this is a 07.25.19 build motor.

Should I be concerned about a July '19 build motor on the Expert? Also the Comp having a '19 motor is concerning considering we are well into 2020 and it was recently purchased.

Thanks!

Yup thats correct on the build dates.

I wouldn't be overly concerned, there are a lot of motors failing but in the grand scheme of things where there are over a million of these motors in circulation its not that bad. Mine is an April 2019 motor on a June 2020 Levo Expert; I've had no problems so far, touch wood, and I ride in the wet UK also I don't spin the cadence up as I also like to punish my legs!

Saiko raised a good point, we don't know if the refurbished motors going into Specialized's stock have the original build dates/serial numbers so your motor, as with mine, may have all the fixes in it.

Either way, its good to have a quality bike shop local to you so if the motor does die, you have good support.

FishyBob666

Oct 22, 2019
Lourdes, France
I called my lbs this morning to enquire about the firmware update and he said not to bother with it until the end of October !!! apparently Spech is collecting data & feedback on the current update from all the guinea pigs that had it done.
So I will wait although currently my motor is working fine but making a LOT of noise to the point it is distracting and annoying. shall I be worried ? any possible cause ?

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
My walk mode function has proved useless as well. I really missed it on some really long pushes last Sunday. I initially thought it started working normally after a 10 second wait but that proved to be wrong. However happy to report that Vittorio's workaround of lifting the rear wheel to spin free in the air activates walk mode after five seconds every single time on my bike. I don't mind waiting five seconds for it to work. This is a great workaround that everyone should try. I first read about this while catching up on this thread yesterday but didn't have a chance to try it until today. Very happy to use this workaround until specialized fixes the glitch.

MacCruzIn

Aug 18, 2020
Santa Cruz, CA
My friends who have the turbo are very happy about this announcement and I agree. As a new Levo SL owner and long time Santa Cruz rider this is good news for my purchase as well. Very happy with the StumpJumer-E. As a long time Silicon Valley Engineer I know technology innovation has risks as a early adopter. This announcement gives me a lot of confidence that when things go wrong as the product evolves Specialized will be there to fix bugs and honor their warranty you'll have a loyal customer. Thank you.

Gordonrides

Jun 9, 2020
Norway
Well my two month old Brose motor died yesterday. Right in the middle of a 35 km ride in the Norwegian forest. You can imagine how happy I was to have to hike-a-bike approximately 2 km to nearest road to be picked up by a friend. We drove the bike to the LBS and they immediately agreed that this was a warranty issue and ordered a new motor. So now I am without a bike during peak biking season here in Scandinavia and it could be "quite a long wait" depending on whether Specialized has any motors in stock at their distribution hub in Amsterdam. Frustrating! I love the bike but I don't trust the motor.

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Well my two month old Brose motor died yesterday. Right in the middle of a 35 km ride in the Norwegian forest. You can imagine how happy I was to have to hike-a-bike approximately 2 km to nearest road to be picked up by a friend. We drove the bike to the LBS and they immediately agreed that this was a warranty issue and ordered a new motor. So now I am without a bike during peak biking season here in Scandinavia and it could be "quite a long wait" depending on whether Specialized has any motors in stock at their distribution hub in Amsterdam. Frustrating! I love the bike but I don't trust the motor.
What was your motor build date?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles