WARNING!! Steer clear of this company for your DIY build (Changzhou Joyebikes Co., Ltd.)

Jan 2, 2023
Mallorca
Since the beginning of my ordeal with my DIY build, it has been what can only be described as a disaster with this company. The name of this company is Changzhou Joyebikes Co., Ltd.
If you had read my posts on my build you will know ALL the problems I had with damaged and faulty equipment. Since then, it has got even worse. Now the Battery (after only 6 months use) has packed in!! They won't send me a new one, but only a new BMS for me to do myself (I explained I have never ever done this before!!) and why should I again be repairing faulty goods from this company!! The girl I have been dealing with (Flora) started off all nicey nice but then soon after they got the money and the problems started arising after the delivery (which took forever to begin with! even longer than can be expected!!) So, I can honestly say. I have NEVER dealt with such a bad company regarding anything to do with bicycles. My message is clear to anyone looking to build their own eMTB, DO NOT GIVE YOUR MONEY TO THIS HOPELESS COMPANY!! Or do so at your own risk!!

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Which is why I stick with the big boys.
IMO there are 5 or 6 reputable companies out there that support their product. Frame, motor and battery. There are slight variations between them but they generally stand behind their product.

I buy the “package” , ride the bike, and upgrade things when I can or when I need to. I still consider that a DIY process. I do most of the upgrades and maintenance myself. Fortunately I can.

I realize that it can be satisfying to DIY an eBike, but I might sacrifice the support that I sometimes need from my LBS. There are many variations, consumables and upgrades possible with the “big boys”. But that’s the bed I made …and I sleep in it. 🤷‍♂️

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
I've noticed a bit of a pattern with some of these Chinese bike and product sources. If you see the word "joy" in any of their descriptive names and advertising...RUN!...LOL!

I've had one personal exposure to Chinese ebike product...Bafang BBSHD. However, I avoided most of those battery sources as most all of them seemed to be very problematic. My Bafang experience has been flawless...a very robust and reliable motor. At the bike shop we see a ton of Chinese product come through in the form of cheap ebikes, and not surprisingly most of it has been junk...but amazingly people will still continue to spend large amounts of money in an attempt to fix or upgrade them.

Jan 2, 2023
Mallorca
I buy ALOT (mostly all) my bike stuff from China (bare in mind that everything (no matter which brand they are or what they say) have their stuff made in China (or Taiwan - which is basically China or soon will be again!) and in the whole, I have had some great experiences... with the service, and with the products.. I am a cycling guide, Road bikes, Gravel bikes and MTB's...So I have a few bikes. All I'm saying is steer clear of this lot, but there are ALOT of good Chinese companies out there. I actually found a good Battery supplier who told me everything I needed to know, and he has sent me a new battery.... and he will talk me over exactly how to change the BMS Module (that Joyebikes are sending me) So, I'm not saying bad things atall about Chinese companies... sure... like everywhere in this world.. there are some bad ones!! and for me, this is a bad one! I actually built all my road bikes and gravel bikes from chinese suppliers... and they are fantastic for a fraction of the cost!!) But I have been dealing with some of these ones for a few years... I have all my cycling clothes made by a very good chinese lass.... her gear is brilliant! and cheaper than anything in the West! I used to spend fortunes of these Corporate companies in the West, buying their branded bikes etc... and I had a Pinarello F8 when they first came out, 2 years ago, that Pinarello had a serious frame failure!! Lifetime Guarantee?? yea right!! No chance!! So, from that day onwards... I take my chances with Chinese.... but I was a bit wet behind the ears when it came to an eMTB.... I tried and tried to find the Dengfu frame....but couldn't.... funnily enough, I found it recently with a retailer i was dealing with for a gravel frame!! Anyways, STEER CLEAR OF JOYE (Not so Joyfull)BIKES!!

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I buy ALOT (mostly all) my bike stuff from China (bare in mind that everything (no matter which brand they are or what they say) have their stuff made in China (or Taiwan - which is basically China or soon will be again!) and in the whole, I have had some great experiences... with the service, and with the products.. I am a cycling guide, Road bikes, Gravel bikes and MTB's...So I have a few bikes. All I'm saying is steer clear of this lot, but there are ALOT of good Chinese companies out there. I actually found a good Battery supplier who told me everything I needed to know, and he has sent me a new battery.... and he will talk me over exactly how to change the BMS Module (that Joyebikes are sending me) So, I'm not saying bad things atall about Chinese companies... sure... like everywhere in this world.. there are some bad ones!! and for me, this is a bad one! I actually built all my road bikes and gravel bikes from chinese suppliers... and they are fantastic for a fraction of the cost!!) But I have been dealing with some of these ones for a few years... I have all my cycling clothes made by a very good chinese lass.... her gear is brilliant! and cheaper than anything in the West! I used to spend fortunes of these Corporate companies in the West, buying their branded bikes etc... and I had a Pinarello F8 when they first came out, 2 years ago, that Pinarello had a serious frame failure!! Lifetime Guarantee?? yea right!! No chance!! So, from that day onwards... I take my chances with Chinese.... but I was a bit wet behind the ears when it came to an eMTB.... I tried and tried to find the Dengfu frame....but couldn't.... funnily enough, I found it recently with a retailer i was dealing with for a gravel frame!! Anyways, STEER CLEAR OF JOYE (Not so Joyfull)BIKES!!
There’s no doubt that some of the parts or frames were manufactured in China. I’m not exactly sure how it works but the reputable companies have a strict quality control system/policy/program. Some companies in China may have similar programs. But they have a bad reputation. Fair or un-fair …I don’t know. 🤷‍♂️
Products made in certain countries may have less risk (ie; Germany, USA, EU etc.) In Canada …we know how to make ice. Really good ICE.👍🏻and all types. 😉

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
I get your take on the Chinese making stuff for big companies, but there's probably a difference between Changzhou Joyebikes and say a company like CF Moto. CF Moto and similar companies contract with some big name companies like KTM to make components and in some cases complete engines like the 790 twin. Other global companies contract with other Chinese manufactures to do the same...BMW for example. The difference is that those Chinese companies actually have to meet a quality control level of manufacturing to get paid and garner future business. In fact CF Moto specifically is now making their own line of motorcycles and off road vehicles...with very respectable results.

Now, don't take me as a shill for the PRC or Chinese manufacturing, but it is what it is. I seriously doubt Changzhou Joyebikes is at the level of CF Moto or some other Chinese manufacturing sources. You can't throw a totally good or bad blanket over the entire product quality of Chinese goods obviously, but I'll still avoid a source like Joyebikes. As I mentioned earlier, Bafang is another one of those companies that actually produces some decent quality motors, and apparently they're are their own entity for their own product line...even though some other bike companies have been buying their motors for their model production.

Jan 2, 2023
Mallorca
I should post on here the whatsapp convo I had with this Flora girl this morning.... she was having a go at me!! and she called me a CRAZY!! haha.. I said, I am CRAZY! CRAZY cause I bought from you!! I mean, the first frame came, unpainted as it was chinese new year and were all going on holiday so couldn't do it for me... gave me $100 back....also, they didn't have a Large now.. so Medium it had to be... but a Medium is now more suitable for my sizes.. haha...(I have all the communications!!) but then that arrived and the headset was all damaged!! and I suspected it wasn't damaged in transport... as there was no marks on the box!! So, I waited another 2 months on the replacement, and oh.. they now have a Large!! so do I want that!!(U couldn't make this chit up1) but still no paint job...so that arrived and I started the build (4 months after I had paid for everything!) Wait for it...... the Bafang motor didn't work!! so, I had to send it to Poland (but when Bafang Poland got wind of this, they said don't send it to them.... blah. blah.. I said, no.. I was told to as they are very special customer in China.... haha) So... eventually Bafang Poland took it... so then it was another 3.5 weeks (oh, did I mention the replacement frame, size Large... well it was damaged in exact same place!! oh yes!! ) - But I said feckn forget it.. I'll sort it!!....So, after ordering and paying for everything in November 2022... I was able to take her out on maiden voyage in July last year!! and I soon forgot all the hassles... as it was fantastic!! Loved it.... Loved it even more as I had fixed alot of the wrongs!! Then.... at xmas.. the battery started cutting out..... and when it cut out... it wouldn't come back on again!! I've had to ride it back a few times from a fair distance!! weighs 24kgs!! so as u all know... It was a feckn workout and a half!! even for a roadie like me!! ANd they won't give me a refund, nor a new battery... all they are offering is to send me a new BMS module !!!!! and I have to sort it myself!! as this is what their other clients do.. HAVE YOU EVER HEARD SUCH A LOT OF BS !! and If I showed anyone the whatsapp chat...you wouldn't believe it.... she even started this morning telling me she won't be working with this company much longer and she has her kids going in to hospital tomorrow... etc.... I mean... I ONLY WANT A WORKING FECKN EMTB THAT I PAID GOOD MONEY FOR!!

AVOID JOYEBIKES (NOT SO JOYFULL!!) AT ALL COSTS PEOPLES!!!

Jan 2, 2023
Mallorca
I get your take on the Chinese making stuff for big companies, but there's probably a difference between Changzhou Joyebikes and say a company like CF Moto. CF Moto and similar companies contract with some big name companies like KTM to make components and in some cases complete engines like the 790 twin. Other global companies contract with other Chinese manufactures to do the same...BMW for example. The difference is that those Chinese companies actually have to meet a quality control level of manufacturing to get paid and garner future business. In fact CF Moto specifically is now making their own line of motorcycles and off road vehicles...with very respectable results.

Now, don't take me as a shill for the PRC or Chinese manufacturing, but it is what it is. I seriously doubt Changzhou Joyebikes is at the level of CF Moto or some other Chinese manufacturing sources. You can't throw a totally good or bad blanket over the entire product quality of Chinese goods obviously, but I'll still avoid a source like Joyebikes. As I mentioned earlier, Bafang is another one of those companies that actually produces some decent quality motors, and apparently they're are their own entity for their own product line...even though some other bike companies have been buying their motors for their model production.
I bought a road frame from an unknown small Chiinese company ], it looked exactly like the new Pinarello F....I had watched lot's of videos on this particular frame.... and not one video gave it a thumbs down.... So, after my "real" Pinarello F8 Dogma had a total frame failure and I was left pissing in the wind... as their "lifetime guarantee" doesn't really last a lifetime... more like as soon as you take it out the shop!!! It was only 4 years old...but to get a full frame failure.... and not down to any crash etc..It just cracked at the BB housing! So, I went for this cheap Pinarello (not a chinarello... as they do have a bad name!) - The guy was fantastic to deal with.... and I bought the full package, integrated bars saddle etc.... all for a mere €750!! - I built it up....I already had top of the range components Di2's, Lightweight Meilenstein wheels etc etc from my "real" Dogma....It was perfect... I rode it... and it rode perfect.... I sat it beside my mate who had forked out €15k on a "real" one.....and you could not tell them apart!! (Ok, I even manged to buy the decals online... so it actually does look like the real Mcoy) I have ridden it non stop for 2 years now.. on the Mallorcan roads....It is a bloody fast bike!! it climbs great... It's just fantastic...I would have no problem recommending (and have) this small unheard of business to anyone.... Unfortunately, he doesn't really do MTB's.. .(I think he has 1 or 2 frames... but no eMTB) - It wasn't just pot luck wither.. I had done my homework on it.... watched quite a few youtube videos and online reports from others.....all giving it a good report...as ever, some guys would say it's a bit sluggish when you try and open it up on a climb... (tosh! loose some belly flab!) , but in the whole... it got good reports...I only wish I had done more research on this Joye (not so joyfull) Bikes! They seem to have alot of Western clients (dealers) who build their bikes and sell.... (in Poland mostly) and I've seen a few guys on here who actually dealt with this same lass, Flora and had no problems... so maybe.... I was just the PIG IN THE POKE...

Mrj35

Sep 29, 2023
canada
Since the beginning of my ordeal with my DIY build, it has been what can only be described as a disaster with this company. The name of this company is Changzhou Joyebikes Co., Ltd.
If you had read my posts on my build you will know ALL the problems I had with damaged and faulty equipment. Since then, it has got even worse. Now the Battery (after only 6 months use) has packed in!! They won't send me a new one, but only a new BMS for me to do myself (I explained I have never ever done this before!!) and why should I again be repairing faulty goods from this company!! The girl I have been dealing with (Flora) started off all nicey nice but then soon after they got the money and the problems started arising after the delivery (which took forever to begin with! even longer than can be expected!!) So, I can honestly say. I have NEVER dealt with such a bad company regarding anything to do with bicycles. My message is clear to anyone looking to build their own eMTB, DO NOT GIVE YOUR MONEY TO THIS HOPELESS COMPANY!! Or do so at your own risk!!
well to be honest I wouldn't want to chance a bike like that when im 30 miles into the backcountry lol. Atleast it didn't die in a bad situation.

Zagora

Jan 2, 2022
Milton Keynes Riviera
Each time I've bought something cheap from China I've been disappointed. It's either not worked, broke within using it a few times or I've thrown it away because it was so awful. It's so time consuming dealing with them when there is an issue, which in my experience is every time.
I've noticed a lot of these companies have a union jack on their advert or website, or they use a British sounding name. Usually a chinese company using a puppet in the Uk to sell them but you can spot them a mile off.

With all the stories in the media of EBikes catching fire WHY would anyone buy a cheap non branded Ebike/motor/battery from China and have it in your house garage or shed. I wouldn't have one if it was free!
The reason the bikes most of us buy are more expensive is because they are built to a standard and tested and certified as being fit for purpose.

Just wish people would support their local bike shops more because if more and more are closing it's us who will suffer.

CaptKirk

Feb 28, 2022
Port Huron, Michigan
I've noticed a bit of a pattern with some of these Chinese bike and product sources. If you see the word "joy" in any of their descriptive names and advertising...RUN!...LOL!

I've had one personal exposure to Chinese ebike product...Bafang BBSHD. However, I avoided most of those battery sources as most all of them seemed to be very problematic. My Bafang experience has been flawless...a very robust and reliable motor. At the bike shop we see a ton of Chinese product come through in the form of cheap ebikes, and not surprisingly most of it has been junk...but amazingly people will still continue to spend large amounts of money in an attempt to fix or upgrade them.
Having purchased 2 complete ebikes, and a DIY rebuild of a "MotoBecane" Phantom Pro elite, which used the Bafang BBSHD, I can only agree. The battery and motor have been flawless for 2 years, and as much power or even more than my "Luna X2" Buying the cheapest components will only give you a cheap bike full of disappointment. Tools and Toys are the one area were saving money never pays off.

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
The big brands may design and sorce there bits from China but they have there our guys supervising production of the products to make sure they there worthy to use on there Bikes

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles