Vorsprung Smashpot

EuanS2

Subscriber
Jan 10, 2021
Edinburgh
Has anyone converted their lyric to coil using the Vorsprung Smashpot? I'm thinking about doing it for my Rail 7 which originally came with a Yari, I converted that to Lyrik Ultimate internals and while that made a massive difference I'm still not overly happy with it , especially when I compare it to my Fox 36 RC2 which is on my other bike

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
I think it will become more sensitive, but at the same time heavier.
Remember, that is the permanent change. You cannot return the air.

Have you already done this? Debonair upgrade kit

Mr_Price

Feb 27, 2021
North Vancouver
Has anyone converted their lyric to coil using the Vorsprung Smashpot? I'm thinking about doing it for my Rail 7 which originally came with a Yari, I converted that to Lyrik Ultimate internals and while that made a massive difference I'm still not overly happy with it , especially when I compare it to my Fox 36 RC2 which is on my other bike
I had a Yari and was eyeing this, ended up with a Zeb - which is night and day over the Yari. Still considering a Smashpot in the future. I have a place in Whistler so hoping to try one out this summer before making the leap. Looks awesome.

Mart-e

Dec 13, 2020
Australia
I converted my pike with a smashpot after upgrading out back too coil EXT coils all round.... Noticed the added front end weight first thing - not overly feeling out with the performance right off the bat...... coils take some trail time to become seasoned in once seasoned would roughly be the time that added fork weight became obsolete..... l did end up purchasing a couple of coils playing with sag set up, kinda fiddly at first with setting up dampening.... however soon passes giving back the added coil performance.

LFB01

Jan 23, 2020
South Oxon
I think it will become more sensitive, but at the same time heavier.
Remember, that is the permanent change. You cannot return the air.

Have you already done this? Debonair upgrade kit
I have been looking into this also as i am not happy with the performance of my Lyrink (even after upgrading the air spring), but was hesitant as you can not go back to air once converted. I spoke to the guys and girls at TFTunned who informed me that you can swap over which stanchion the coil spring and damper unit run in so you can return to an air spring if necessary in the future.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
I had a Smashpot conversion on my Yari, I never rode it stock, was a great fork rode it in Morzine, then I added a Yari up to other side as it was a basic RC model, then mulleted the bike, noticed how lighter front end was going to an air fork!

EuanS2

Subscriber
Jan 10, 2021
Edinburgh
thanks for all the replies folks

My fork is a 2021 fork so it already has the latest (in my case 170mm) Debonair Airshaft, the fork feels like it has a bit of stiction which could be down to me not changing the standard yari wiper seals when I upgraded to RC2 internals so going to order some SKF or Push seals then see how it goes

its interesting to know about noticing the extra weight with the smash pot installed. Would it not make the weight more compatible with the Zeb? As that’s quit a bit heavier than a yari converted to Lyrik... I’m open to a Zeb too or even a Fox 38

Smittylube

May 14, 2021
Santa Cruz
Sorry this is a thread about coils.

Regarding the ZEB over the Yari,
I am very pleased with the Zeb over the Yari. much stiffer chassis is very noticeable. Mine was 160 stock and the ZEB 170 what I was looking to do anyway. Mine did not have the 2.1 damper so it would have cost about 4/500 to upgrade, so a few more Franklins and I was into a ZEB. Much smoother action. I use more travel now, curb size drops are far smoother now along with the rest of the ride. Plush but stiff steering. It rails for sure. Weight wise I get the front wheel up more now than before for some reason. Probably due to the action.

Last edited:

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Regarding the ZEB over the Yari,
I am very pleased with the Zeb over the Yari. much stiffer chassis is very noticeable. Mine was 160 stock and the ZEB 170 what I was looking to do anyway. Mine did not have the 2.1 damper so it would have cost about 4/500 to upgrade, so a few more Franklins and I was into a ZEB. Much smoother action. I use more travel now, curb size drops are far smoother now along with the rest of the ride. Plush but stiff steering. It rails for sure. Weight wise I get the front wheel up more now than before for some reason. Probably due to the action.
A few more franklins? They look to be 3 times the price?

digger

Feb 4, 2019
Wales
Have you had a look at the vorsprung secus? all the benefit of the smashpot but a lot lighter and better progression at the bottom of the travel

SimiEMTB

Founding Member
Mar 10, 2018
Californai
I did it on my pike (2017 turbo Levo). Also went with ohlins coil shock. I’m very happy with both. Great traction. Getting spring rates is obviously trickier. The bottom out resistance adjustment on the smashpot does work. I keep in the middle for regular trail and increase before descending. No stiction which is nice. Of course, it is heavier and not reversible as others have said. I did the work myself. Not that difficult. May need to get some tools to do it, calipers, heat gun and a way to set torque with open end wrench. You’ll see what I mean when you read instructions. Which I believe you can look at before purchase from website. For the weight thing.....that’s what the motor is for.

NETTA17

Jun 24, 2020
Israel
Hello,
did someone measured the Outer Diameter of the spring?
I didn't get the kit yet, but planning something else then the PVC sheet for my ZEB…
Cheers,

ckkone

May 21, 2021
UTAH USA
I'm going to try the latest DebonAir+ W/ButterCups air spring, seems like the best of all worlds... just released a few weeks ago.

DebonAir+ - FS-UPK-DBP-A1 - RockShox

1654882993988.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles