Vorsprung Smashpot Hydraulic Bottom Out/Compression Settings

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Just installed a Smashpot on my YT Decoy Core 4 and wanted to hear what other riders are using in regard to HBO and Compression settings. Installed on a FOX 38 FLOAT FACTORY E-BIKE 29“ 170 mm travel. I weigh ~195lbs kitted up. Also curious if anyone has adjusted High/Low Speed Compression settings to optimize Smashpot performance.

Cb750stu

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
United Kingdom
I'm 190lbs RTR and have a 55lbs spring installed , I have the HBO set about 3/4 closed can't remember how many clicks clockwise tbh ,
I actually went with the Fox recommended settings as if I had a air spring setup on LSC/HSC and same for rebound and have made the odd tweak maybe a click here and there but haven't touched it since tbh , if it feels good I tend to leave alone 🤟

d3ftone

May 29, 2019
Colorado
I'm running one on a Zeb Ultimate. When using the spring calculator, I used accurate inputs and inputs that were a bit more aggressive than my actual riding. Spat out the same number, which was the 55lbs/in spring. I found it to be too soft even with the HBO turned all the way in. Not enough ramp up. Over time I was running more and more HSC and LSC to try and firm it up. It does seem like you can use a lot more compression dampening without hurting the overall sensitivity, compared to an air fork. There was more rebound than I was expecting as well, ran it pretty much right in the middle to get it balanced with the shock, rather than where I usually would (maybe 2/3 or 3/4 of the way open). Debating on going to either a 60 or 65 spring. Also apparently the shim stack setup can be changed to give you more ramp up with the HBO. So I'll be doing that as well. So far, even though it is definitely too soft and it needs more ramp up, the fork is fantastic. The sensitivity and traction you get with it is noticeably better than any air offering I've ridden, favorite probably being the Fox 38 Grip2 with a DSD Runt or an Ohlins DH38.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
I'm 190lbs RTR and have a 55lbs spring installed , I have the HBO set about 3/4 closed can't remember how many clicks clockwise tbh ,
I actually went with the Fox recommended settings as if I had a air spring setup on LSC/HSC and same for rebound and have made the odd tweak maybe a click here and there but haven't touched it since tbh , if it feels good I tend to leave alone 🤟
Appreciate the insight. I'm a little concerned the 45lb spring I chose may make bike to plush. Going on 1st ride this weekend.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
I'm running one on a Zeb Ultimate. When using the spring calculator, I used accurate inputs and inputs that were a bit more aggressive than my actual riding. Spat out the same number, which was the 55lbs/in spring. I found it to be too soft even with the HBO turned all the way in. Not enough ramp up. Over time I was running more and more HSC and LSC to try and firm it up. It does seem like you can use a lot more compression dampening without hurting the overall sensitivity, compared to an air fork. There was more rebound than I was expecting as well, ran it pretty much right in the middle to get it balanced with the shock, rather than where I usually would (maybe 2/3 or 3/4 of the way open). Debating on going to either a 60 or 65 spring. Also apparently the shim stack setup can be changed to give you more ramp up with the HBO. So I'll be doing that as well. So far, even though it is definitely too soft and it needs more ramp up, the fork is fantastic. The sensitivity and traction you get with it is noticeably better than any air offering I've ridden, favorite probably being the Fox 38 Grip2 with a DSD Runt or an Ohlins DH38.
Thanks for the detailed information. Prior to installing the Smashpot, was running the Fox 38 E-tuned with the DSD Runt. For me, thought the Runt was a solid upgrade. Hoping the Smashpot enhances the performance of my Decoy (already an amazing bike). I have a feeling the spring I chose using the calculator on Vorsprung's website will be too soft. Hopefully it's not too difficult to install a new coil if need be.

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
On my 3rd smashpot on a 180mm Zeb because they are so good (had one before for my 36 and Lyrik).
60kg 40lbs/in Spring. This is stiffer than the calculator would pick me but in my experience the small bump compliance is so good I prefer to run slightly stiffer for more support, then I don't need much HBO. I have reshimmed this to run 4 shims rather than the standard 5 so that my fork can run liner for as long as possible (also likely that at my low weight I don't need as much HBO).

This is honestly the best fork I have ever ridden by some margin. I think the main problem with the Zeb Vs the 38 is the air spring. Swapping this out for coil makes it unbelievably good. I added some more rebound damping because the fork moves much more freely than with air. Enjoy!

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
On my 3rd smashpot on a 180mm Zeb because they are so good (had one before for my 36 and Lyrik).
60kg 40lbs/in Spring. This is stiffer than the calculator would pick me but in my experience the small bump compliance is so good I prefer to run slightly stiffer for more support, then I don't need much HBO. I have reshimmed this to run 4 shims rather than the standard 5 so that my fork can run liner for as long as possible (also likely that at my low weight I don't need as much HBO).

This is honestly the best fork I have ever ridden by some margin. I think the main problem with the Zeb Vs the 38 is the air spring. Swapping this out for coil makes it unbelievably good. I added some more rebound damping because the fork moves much more freely than with air. Enjoy!
Great feedback! Thanks

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles