Voodoo Zobop E-Shimano E8000-E7000

Trowernator

Jun 1, 2020
East Sussex
Hi,

I've recently purchased a Trek Ex8 , which I absolutely love and managed to get for a decent price may I add. I used to ride MTB's a lot when I was younger until I discovered an engine and throttle (maybe this has made me lazy).

Problem being is, I'm really struggling on the hills. I'm not exactly unfit but I feel to get the most out of the runs I'm doing, I want to be going right to the bottom and back up continuously which is way to much and kinda takes the fun out of it.

I'm aware that it'll get easier but I still feel all that exhaustion is unnecessary considering the technology available which has led me to this post.

I've started looking into an electric bike so I'm looking to sell the Trek and purchase something on the bottom end of the full suspension electric MTB range.

So far, I've found the Voodoo Zobop E-Shimano E8000 from Halfords which actually looks bloody good for £2600 and the Haibike Sduro for about £2300 which I'm not too keen on.

I'm wondering if any of you guys have had any experience with one of these or something in this price range and could give me some guidance?

Stock is obviously extremely low at the moment but I guess it gives me some time to sort out how I'm going to attack it financially, I'm 6,2" so I'm guessing a 20" frame is just right but not many places have this in stock along with the E8000 motor which I want due to have an extra 10Nm of torque than the E7000.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your response.

Andyd68

May 7, 2020
Birmingham
I hate to say this but have you looked on the Decathlon website at the Stilus at £2700? It is out of stock at the moment but might come back in stock this week or next. People on here say that it is good value for money.
I have been waiting for a while so if you got one before me ???

Trowernator

Jun 1, 2020
East Sussex
I hate to say this but have you looked on the Decathlon website at the Stilus at £2700? It is out of stock at the moment but might come back in stock this week or next. People on here say that it is good value for money.
I have been waiting for a while so if you got one before me ???

Hmmmm, now you've got me thinking. Looked at some videos and the spec and that looks better than the Voodoo. May have to go for one of those. Better motor, gearing etc.

I'd imagine they'll be out of stock for a little while though. Do you know when they sold out?

Andyd68

May 7, 2020
Birmingham
Hmmmm, now you've got me thinking. Looked at some videos and the spec and that looks better than the Voodoo. May have to go for one of those. Better motor, gearing etc.

I'd imagine they'll be out of stock for a little while though. Do you know when they sold out?
They been out of stock for around a month I think. Someone posted on here that they might be in stock soon don’t know when. This would be my first bike so no expert. PhilBaker has done a detailed review on here about the bike if you haven’t seen it yet.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The Decathlon is untouchable at the price point, though its geometry isn't "on trend", but then again I cant think of any bikes at that price point which are, but its a cracking bike.

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
My mate has the voodoo and he absolutely loves it. It's a medium and to small for me at 5.11.
Its last years model with the bosch motor, so far he has done about 2k trouble free miles on it.
He managed to get it cheaper through British cycling and NHS. £1850.

Trowernator

Jun 1, 2020
East Sussex
The Decathlon is untouchable at the price point, though its geometry isn't "on trend", but then again I cant think of any bikes at that price point which are, but its a cracking bike.

The frame does look rather low at the back if that's what you mean.

Trowernator

Jun 1, 2020
East Sussex
My mate has the voodoo and he absolutely loves it. It's a medium and to small for me at 5.11.
Its last years model with the bosch motor, so far he has done about 2k trouble free miles on it.
He managed to get it cheaper through British cycling and NHS. £1850.

Ah nice, they're lovely bikes. I'm guessing he's got the green one? Love the look of that

Trowernator

Jun 1, 2020
East Sussex
They been out of stock for around a month I think. Someone posted on here that they might be in stock soon don’t know when. This would be my first bike so no expert. PhilBaker has done a detailed review on here about the bike if you haven’t seen it yet.

I've found that thread which Phil Baker posted about the Decathlon which is interesting, still need to finish reading through it though.

The thing I'm concerned about is, he mentions a noise coming from the motor after about 70 miles which many other owners have mentioned. This has kinda put me off, I'm terrible with stuff like that.....if I get noises from my motorbike or car it drives me absolutely insane and I know this'll get right on my nerves.

Surely it can't be a good thing and could potentially cause issues internally in the future. If its a design fault and causing damage that will mean a replacement motor or at least parts in say 1000-2000 miles I'd be gutted as I'm sure any other owner would be.

How do you feel about that? I'm guessing you've come across this issue in some of your research?

Was just on the website as well, they've got XL and M in stock tonight but no Large, think they're only selling a select amount per day.

Andyd68

May 7, 2020
Birmingham
I've found that thread which Phil Baker posted about the Decathlon which is interesting, still need to finish reading through it though.

The thing I'm concerned about is, he mentions a noise coming from the motor after about 70 miles which many other owners have mentioned. This has kinda put me off, I'm terrible with stuff like that.....if I get noises from my motorbike or car it drives me absolutely insane and I know this'll get right on my nerves.

Surely it can't be a good thing and could potentially cause issues internally in the future. If its a design fault and causing damage that will mean a replacement motor or at least parts in say 1000-2000 miles I'd be gutted as I'm sure any other owner would be.

How do you feel about that? I'm guessing you've come across this issue in some of your research?

Was just on the website as well, they've got XL and M in stock tonight but no Large, think they're only selling a select amount per day.

Hi yes seen posts about the knocking but people are saying not a big issue but for others it was very annoying. This will be my first bike if I ever get one but if I look at bikes max £3000 they seem to have less spec than the Stilus so was going to take a risk on it.
Yes I need a large as well so don’t know if they have sold out of them already. It’s the first time they have been in stock for any size for weeks.

Trowernator

Jun 1, 2020
East Sussex
Hi yes seen posts about the knocking but people are saying not a big issue but for others it was very annoying. This will be my first bike if I ever get one but if I look at bikes max £3000 they seem to have less spec than the Stilus so was going to take a risk on it.
Yes I need a large as well so don’t know if they have sold out of them already. It’s the first time they have been in stock for any size for weeks.

If I'm honest, this has completely put me off buying anything as of yet. Really doesn't sound good.

I'm genuinely shocked that they've released them with this issue. Huge design flaw, especially in this day and age.

I wouldn't be surprised if they start recalling them or are/will be, releasing a quick fix for people. Soooo many people are having this issue. Just found a video and its pretty loud. It would completely put me off the enjoyable ride.

It seems to be louder for some, than others but I'm personally not willing to chuck out all that money to risk it 50/50.

Going to hold fire until this issue is sorted but keep me updated from your end dude.

Andyd68

May 7, 2020
Birmingham
If I'm honest, this has completely put me off buying anything as of yet. Really doesn't sound good.

I'm genuinely shocked that they've released them with this issue. Huge design flaw, especially in this day and age.

I wouldn't be surprised if they start recalling them or are/will be, releasing a quick fix for people. Soooo many people are having this issue. Just found a video and its pretty loud. It would completely put me off the enjoyable ride.

It seems to be louder for some, than others but I'm personally not willing to chuck out all that money to risk it 50/50.

Going to hold fire until this issue is sorted but keep me updated from your end dude.
Cheers thanks I will keep you updated. The other bike I have looked at is the Giant Stance E +2 which is £3000 but not sure about that one.

StilusBoy79

Mar 31, 2020
Uk
I’ve had a stilus since April I think it was, I’m on about 650 miles now.

ive not really noticed this knocking noise, I do mostly ride with headphones in, but even so not heard anything beyond creaky seat.

I heartily recommend it, my riding motivation is many times what it was before. Uphills are a blast.

I’d like to remove the speed assist cut off but haven’t got round to it yet due to a few cautionary tales. Vol speed 3 will prob get my cash soon

Trowernator

Jun 1, 2020
East Sussex
I’ve had a stilus since April I think it was, I’m on about 650 miles now.

ive not really noticed this knocking noise, I do mostly ride with headphones in, but even so not heard anything beyond creaky seat.

I heartily recommend it, my riding motivation is many times what it was before. Uphills are a blast.

I’d like to remove the speed assist cut off but haven’t got round to it yet due to a few cautionary tales. Vol speed 3 will prob get my cash soon

That's interesting, I was put off by it but now I'm desperate to get one I think I'd just deal with the noise, just concerned about damage.

I have also seen quite a few other EMTB's around £3000 so I need to do some further research.

Whats the situation with de-restricting them, do you know?

StilusBoy79

Mar 31, 2020
Uk
That's interesting, I was put off by it but now I'm desperate to get one I think I'd just deal with the noise, just concerned about damage.

I have also seen quite a few other EMTB's around £3000 so I need to do some further research.

Whats the situation with de-restricting them, do you know?

do point me towards any info on the noise, I honestly haven’t noticed much more than a click as I set off when I’m in wrong gear up hill. And it wasn’t anything I would wince at...

Definitely recommend, I’ve been out in wind and rain this morning and loved it. The bike feels very XC to me, it’s not as chuckable as my old lightweight norco sight 26er. But it is really good fun. I’m not really able to manual or gap jump anyway so it’s not that different an experience.

But I’m sure it would be up to most Cannock chase or glentress kind of stuff, and is a blast for off-roading.

ive been hesitant with derestricting as a few posts here and elsewhere mention issues. I did follow some advice and tried an eBay badassbox clone which didn’t work and got a refund.

It seems people in here reckon volspeed 3 will work, so I think I’ll give it a go. Was also waiting until I can take it to a shop to get the motor reset i bricked it by using a derestricting.

the decathalon warranty seems like u could return it if not happy, you may need to join as member for that mind, so read online first.

id say do it, I’m sure you won’t regret it and it’s a good price relative to rivals

uk125

Jun 14, 2020
rainford
the decathalon warranty seems like u could return it if not happy, you may need to join as member for that mind, so read online first.

id say do it, I’m sure you won’t regret it and it’s a good price relative to rivals

hi

what member ? for the warranty?

thanks

Kevintaper

Jun 25, 2020
Inverness
I have 2020 voodoo zobop 18" and I I absolutely luv it, I can go exact same places as my friend on his whyte rs150, albeit I'm 2 stone lighter than him, and the e7000 motor is super quiet compared to his bosch gen 4 motor, Im impressed with the voodoo so far

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles