Vitus frame size help please

jamesgarbett

May 28, 2020
mellor
Thinking of my first emtb - either a sommet or an escarpe
I seem to be on the cusp of Medium and Large
Anyone got any advice based on experience of these frames?

CH61S

Apr 27, 2020
Rhondda south Wales
I'm a tad over 5.10 with a 33 inside leg and large is perfect for me. I think a lot of people have been in this situation wondering about what size to go for.it's so hard when you can't sit on them to try them out first.

I also prefer the feel of a larger bike so I'm glad I went large. When I first got it I was surprised it felt smaller than my previous large frame bike and when I compared the the geometry number online it was actually a fair bit smaller than my mondraker foxy.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
5'11" (33" inseam) and been riding small E Sommets for over 2 years. (has a 2017 VRand now a 2019 VR) Wouldn't want a larger size.
I Find long Heavy Eebs pretty horrendous for maneuverability though.
@jamesgarbett you haven't said your height or riding style. The latter matters tons.

jamesgarbett

May 28, 2020
mellor
Thanks all
I'm 5.11 - strictly wheels on the ground riding - lower disc problems mean I'm finding long days out in the Peak District a bit of a killer on a non-electric hardtail
Hoping that a move to electric and full sus will enable me to feel less beaten up the next day

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
In that case just go with the teach you're currently most comfortable riding.
It's kinda overkill for the riding you describe. But so what. It'll certainly allow you more comfort over the rougher terrain

jamesgarbett

May 28, 2020
mellor
Thanks

Agree about being over biked but short-travel ebikes seem to be thin on the ground especially at this price point

Certainly don't see the point of an e-hardtail for off road use

ceejays88

May 28, 2020
Wirral
I'm 5'10 and just got the medium and it feels small compared to my other medium, but the geometry makes it perfect and the medium frame means it's slightly lighter and easier to manoeuvre and throw around.

If you plan on doing quite a few trails and off road woods etc then go with the e-sommet
The escarpe has a less aggressive geometry and I would say it's better suited for cross country and off road gravel

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
The E escape is the same weight..
You might as well go for the E-sommet. Run the suspension stiff and tyres hard it rides fine for dull terrain. Change the tyres for tubeless and go exo casing and dual compound. Or it'll handle like a tractor on duller rides.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles