Van internal bike transportation

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
I had years being spoilt by an Accord Tourer which would easily take a bike whole and loads of gear. You could even take both wheels off and get two bikes and a lot of gear in the boot with the cover over. Brilliant.

I'm now running a Golf R Estate. Both wheels on is a no-go, but it's easy to take the front wheel off then there's plenty of space. Not enough height to stand either bike up though. I stuck a towbar on it. Not legal to tow anything as it's not got a weight limit, but a bike rack is no problem (took a looong time to get a proper answer on that though!). Fast, comfy, economical, debadged so just looks like a regular Golf to most people, really lovely to drive. I'm fairly happy with it, though I do keep looking at vans.

I think that the novelty of having a van for the bikes will wear off after about five minutes, if you don’t take a bike on every journey!

Jona

Jan 24, 2020
Belgium
Hi looking for flexible bike storage for in my caravan, i came across these three:

I have no exprience with top two, a friend of me uses the last one and is happy with it
anyone has expirience with any of these or another one?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Using a fork mount is by far the best way to carry the bike, and all of your options do that.

How much you want or need to spend achieving that is up to you.

I have a VW T5 and use 2 different types of fork mount. The first one I did I made myself. The T5 has load securing loops secured with 10mm bolts. I removed the load loops and used them to bolt a length of box section across the back of the van, then bought a length of 15mm inner diameter tube and cut it 110mm and welded it onto the box section ( with a riser). I have another bar similarly bolted across the front loading points. Another fork mount is mounted indirectly on that. This time I bought ready made ally fork mounts 15mm/110 from a bike rack company ( Pendle Bike Racks) and mounted them on relatively short lengths of box section using car spot/fog light holders ( the type that bolt to bull bars). One of those arrangement is fixed to the more forward cross bar in the van on the opposite side to the rear one. I have 2 others I use when storing the bikes at home, this time mounted on short lengths of timber.
Be aware that mounting even 2 mtb bikes side by side will not work most of the time due to the bar width. Kids bikes or road bikes with drop bars will work side by side. I mount one bike with the fork mount at the back of the van and other with the fork mount forward in the van to overcome that.
One of the options you listed enables the fork mount to be angled on the support bar. That helps overcome the bars clashing but the bike frame rather than the forks then takes most of the sideways strain, and with a EMTB that is quite a lot! Having the bike in line with the forks square is better in my view.

NoPro

Aug 2, 2019
Austria
I am currently looking into transporting two bikes inside my car aswell. Here are some Links I saved mostly from german companies.
Didn't start measurng so have not bought anything yet. Unfortunately none of them seem particular cheap to just give it a try.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
They all comprise a fork mount on a cross member in one way or another. As I mentioned above DIY is cheap and simple. Here is one of my "home" fork mounts.....total cost £20. Ally 15x110 tube from Pendle Bike racks and 2 spot light mounts off ebay...and a plank of wood. I also have another like this mounted on metal rather than wood. 15/110 tubes (adapter) are listed in one the links above for 15 euros. The bull bar spot light mounts are c 4 euros each on ebay...I use 2 side by side.

20210610_202642.jpg

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
Does anyone know if the VW Caddy will take a couple of ebikes without having to take the wheels off? I just had an offer come through at work to lease one for £120 a month.

Jan 19, 2019
UK
I just bought a 2018 Petrol VW Caddy SWB a couple of months ago.
I was able to get two ebikes (a large Merida 160 900e & a medium Cube Stereo 140) in the back without taken the front wheels off. I just used bungee cords to secure the bikes to the top of the plywood.
However I found the larger bike was damaging the fibreboard roof lining, due to the height & angle of the handlebars.
So I got a couple of fork mounts instead, I much prefer this for transporting the two bikes its much more secure.

VW A.jpg

VW B.jpg

Bravestarr

Apr 26, 2019
Fife, Scotland
You need a Transit Grand Tourneo Connect, remove 3rd row seats, 2nd row fold completely flat. Just throw bike in, previously had old man Avensis Estate, which you could manipulate bike in with wheels on (plus 10ft surfboard could slide in). I have added lashing points to the old seat mount points for straps. £30 road tax. Narrow for country lanes (much better than my lwb T5 caravelle which also has poor seating layout, middle row bench is massive, probably best layout is 6 single seats). No street cred or bragging rights, but I will never get pulled over by the police for speeding.
I've also got one of these. I recently bought a Campal camping pod for it too. Micro camper, bike transporter and 45+ mpg.

philuk

Jun 22, 2021
North Yorkshire UK
I’m gonna be getting mounts that will bolt to the floor and through the front wheel mount in the shock, our van is a camper in the build so I only have so much space!

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
Just thought I would drop in and show my Berlingo XTR. I drove my self nuts worrying if a bike would fit a berlingo/partner mpv so I figured I'd share. I didn't want a van for a few reasons I wanted seats for the kids, faster speeds, cheaper insurance, ability to blend in, while small enough to get down country lanes with out white knuckles.

My Large megawatt 29/27 rolls straight in plenty of space for 4 people (You can fit in 2 bikes last photo, slide the front seat forward and take out one of the side seats your friend sitting behind the driver). I've added 4 extra LED lights switched to a permanent 12v two inside roof and two on the tail gate to help loading/washing. I also made my own rubber mat but it has a real strong smell (already been outside for 3 weeks) if stays strong it'll have to go. The jerry can is a home-made 12v jet washer. Window tint is ready to go in but I figured I'd take photos now while you can still see inside.

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-01 at 13.13.28.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2022-02-01 at 13.13.27(5).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-02-01 at 13.13.27(4).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2022-02-01 at 13.13.27(3).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-02-01 at 13.13.27(2).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2022-02-01 at 13.13.27(1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-02-01 at 13.13.27.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2022-01-04 at 16.38.00.jpeg

I plan on adding a T4 Fiamma bike boot rack which requires a bit of modification for the kids bikes. Its nice in the fact it can stay on 24/7, doesn't stop access to the rear of the van and the kids bikes just go right on. Like this guy has done;
DSC_0185_zpsewnyss2g.jpg DSC_0184_zpsfgpguz27.jpg

Richywalker64

Nov 14, 2020
Hartlepool
Funny reading your post as I bought exactly the same rubber mat, the smell does eventually go after a good while.
I phoned the supplier who recommended washing it with vinegar of all things
I left mine outside in the rain for weeks and washed it several times with and without vinegar but the nothing really worked but the smell does wear off eventually 😅

daytrader

May 30, 2021
Tirol
I‘ve designed a 3D printed Mounting Solution for different Forks.

Im selling 3D printed Parts with Shipping within Europe here:

I can also sell the STL for printing it by yourself for a few bucks ,–)

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
What were the mods you had to make to fit the rear rack?
This guy covers what to do. Not sure what weight it carries as will all these thing best to double check if you thinking about emtb's.

Funny reading your post as I bought exactly the same rubber mat, the smell does eventually go after a good while.
I phoned the supplier who recommended washing it with vinegar of all things
I left mine outside in the rain for weeks and washed it several times with and without vinegar but the nothing really worked but the smell does wear off eventually 😅

I've google'd getting rid of the smell and my conclusion is washing it etc etc is just busy work only time/airing helps. I've already decided to remove it after smelling how bad it was in the car after only a few hours. It's going on the shed roof and staying there till it no longer reeks (wife has clearly stated no where near the house!) and in the interim throw in this Wood effect Sheet vinyl roll not sure how well it'll hold up but hopefully wont smell like a fetish convention in a heatwave 😁

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
If you dropped the front wheels and used fork clamp could you get 3 bikes and riders in there?

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
Lino in the van rubber mat out for now. Annoying because it ate up my time and I really wanted to tint the windows today but I don't want to rush it.

If you dropped the front wheels and used fork clamp could you get 3 bikes and riders in there?
Yes I beleive so taking off the front wheel means you can fit bikes behind the front passenger then just remove 2 rear seats. If I was to do a longer jounery with a friend this is how I'd do it, so they could sit in the front.

JFDI

Feb 13, 2021
Helmsley, North Yorkshire
I use a Peugeot Rifter (long wheelbase version) as my daily drive.
It's a 7 seater, but you can completely remove the two, 3rd row rear seats, and fold flat the 3 remaining seats which then provides a huge area for biking trips away.
It is possible for 2 bikes to fit upright without removing any wheels.
I have a full sized rear liner fitted (Rhino covers) which is waterproof and wipe clean so mud is not a problem .
I've recently cobbled some wood together to make a bike storage rack.
It's a prototype, work in progress bodge and so far works well. I'm using square type U-bolts and the existing seat restraints to secure it to the floor, seems to work well and is also a quick way of removing the rack should the need arise.
The rack has 3 positions, the centre one is for a day trips where I leave the front wheel on the bike and insert the rear wheel into a support which keeps it very stable. I'm using a bungy cord at the moment but will probably locate/use a velcro strap at some stage.
The 2 outer positions are for 2 bikes for longer trips away/overnight and require removing the front wheels and using the fork dropouts to attach to the rack with the wheel axle bolts.
Apologies for the tip inside the back of the van, but I think it looks kind of homely, cosy and comfortable!😀😉

20220315_125711_resized.jpg

20220315_154658_resized.jpg
20220315_154712_resized.jpg
20220315_154919_resized.jpg
20220315_155024_resized.jpg

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
I finished up my 2nd hand Fiamma T4 rack, I wasn't happy with the silver/faded red stood out,

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-17 at 23.51.36.jpeg
So (very much to the wifes dismay) I resprayed it black and 3D printed most of the plastic parts in black plus made a few new bits like the reflector mounts. The rack is for the kids bikes but could probably take 1 ebike (65kg system weight less -9kg for the rack itself) which is handy. Worth noting you'll need to upgrade the gas struts (oem+9kg) just call SGS and they'll supply you with some. I need to make up some mountable lights as the wheels do cover the brakes/indicators. Also limo tinted.
WhatsApp Image 2022-03-17 at 23.36.56(5).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2022-03-17 at 23.36.56(4).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-03-17 at 23.36.56(3).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2022-03-17 at 23.36.56(2).jpeg

The 12v washer worked a treat today not really a jet wash more a garden hose which is perfect for me and the bike! I took 2 wheels on Large mullet ebikes plus a passenger today in comfort. The ratchet straps are going in the bin they were awkward to use, I just knew I was going to get pinched and sure enough one took a good chunk out my thumbnail, replacing with cambuckle lashes.

the extra cargo lights really worked out well for after dark returns
WhatsApp Image 2022-03-17 at 23.36.56.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-03-17 at 23.36.56(1).jpeg

militantmandy

Jan 18, 2022
Tweed Valley, Scotland
Mine were bolted down by fork mount. This was so I could get them low enough to build a fixed bed above. Worked great. This was in large camper van though, designed for long trips to Europe etc.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
How do you find the Rifter generally? I have looked at them a few times - good to live with longer term for general driving around when not on bike duty?

JFDI

Feb 13, 2021
I finished up my 2nd hand Fiamma T4 rack, I wasn't happy with the silver/faded red stood out,

View attachment 84115
So (very much to the wifes dismay) I resprayed it black and 3D printed most of the plastic parts in black plus made a few new bits like the reflector mounts. The rack is for the kids bikes but could probably take 1 ebike (65kg system weight less -9kg for the rack itself) which is handy. Worth noting you'll need to upgrade the gas struts (oem+9kg) just call SGS and they'll supply you with some. I need to make up some mountable lights as the wheels do cover the brakes/indicators. Also limo tinted.
View attachment 84111 View attachment 84112
View attachment 84118 View attachment 84119

The 12v washer worked a treat today not really a jet wash more a garden hose which is perfect for me and the bike! I took 2 wheels on Large mullet ebikes plus a passenger today in comfort. The ratchet straps are going in the bin they were awkward to use, I just knew I was going to get pinched and sure enough one took a good chunk out my thumbnail, replacing with cambuckle lashes.

View attachment 84117
View attachment 84116
👍 I like those cargo lights! Where did you find them please?
Which circuit did you splice into? Thanks 😊

JFDI

Feb 13, 2021
How do you find the Rifter generally? I have looked at them a few times - good to live with longer term for general driving around when not on bike duty?

Hi R120,
It's a huge volume, mile monster and I've owned it since Feb 2020.
It's a GT line with the 15 diesel engine, which still surprises me as to how quick it gets up to speed for such a large vehicle. MPG is good as I average 48mpg in all conditions, motorway, country roads, hills, etc.

It's versatile with all the seating configurations and also really useful as a general purpose van, especially with the load liner fitted.

Niggles?
The A pillars are a huge blindspot at junctions, corners and roundabouts, but once you develop the 'weeble wobble' you can soon solve the viewing issues.
The square steering wheel takes time to get used to and adjustments are frequent to find a good position. As is the seating position, again finding a sweet spot is a nuisance but you soon get over it.

Overall I'm pleased with it and will certainly be keeping it for a few more years.

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
👍 I like those cargo lights! Where did you find them please?
Which circuit did you splice into? Thanks 😊
I used these www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09KTSP15F

I tapped into the permanent live for the tow bar electrics which was in the rear of the car. I made a post about it on the berlingo forum;

mossy.trails

Apr 4, 2022
Devon
Just thought I would drop in and show my Berlingo XTR. I drove my self nuts worrying if a bike would fit a berlingo/partner mpv so I figured I'd share. I didn't want a van for a few reasons I wanted seats for the kids, faster speeds, cheaper insurance, ability to blend in, while small enough to get down country lanes with out white knuckles.

My Large megawatt 29/27 rolls straight in plenty of space for 4 people (You can fit in 2 bikes last photo, slide the front seat forward and take out one of the side seats your friend sitting behind the driver). I've added 4 extra LED lights switched to a permanent 12v two inside roof and two on the tail gate to help loading/washing. I also made my own rubber mat but it has a real strong smell (already been outside for 3 weeks) if stays strong it'll have to go. The jerry can is a home-made 12v jet washer. Window tint is ready to go in but I figured I'd take photos now while you can still see inside.

View attachment 81228 View attachment 81229
View attachment 81230 View attachment 81231
View attachment 81232 View attachment 81233
View attachment 81234 View attachment 81235

I plan on adding a T4 Fiamma bike boot rack which requires a bit of modification for the kids bikes. Its nice in the fact it can stay on 24/7, doesn't stop access to the rear of the van and the kids bikes just go right on. Like this guy has done;
View attachment 81243 View attachment 81244
Glad I came across this. I am in the process of downsizing from my T5 to a newer vehicle. Berlingo is top of the list at the moment. I was mulling over how best to store my emtb. I guessed middle seat out and fork mount was the way to go, but this is even better!

Alex Ebiker

Mar 24, 2022
Wiltshire
I just bought a 2018 Petrol VW Caddy SWB a couple of months ago.
I was able to get two ebikes (a large Merida 160 900e & a medium Cube Stereo 140) in the back without taken the front wheels off. I just used bungee cords to secure the bikes to the top of the plywood.
However I found the larger bike was damaging the fibreboard roof lining, due to the height & angle of the handlebars.
So I got a couple of fork mounts instead, I much prefer this for transporting the two bikes its much more secure.

View attachment 63891
View attachment 63892
Considering buying a caddy myself. Do you think you’d be able to store one 1.9m long bike laid down flat without wheel off in the back?.

peteh80

Jul 11, 2018
Preston

View attachment 84115
View attachment 84111 View attachment 84112
View attachment 84118 View attachment 84119

View attachment 84117
View attachment 84116
Hi, I'm about to do the act same thing with a second hand fiamma rack, I contacted SGS about the struts and they've asked if you know what NM force struts you ordered? Also, having trouble downloading the files for the 3d printing end caps etc if you can help in any way?....cheers

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
I used these www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09KTSP15F

I tapped into the permanent live for the tow bar electrics which was in the rear of the car. I made a post about it on the berlingo forum;
I was lazy and using these. No need to connect to wires, just charge them with usb

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
Hi, I'm about to do the act same thing with a second hand fiamma rack, I contacted SGS about the struts and they've asked if you know what NM force struts you ordered? Also, having trouble downloading the files for the 3d printing end caps etc if you can help in any way?....cheers
Printables had some server problems recently might be why they didn't show up

20230202_171812.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles