Using an Orbea Extender on any Shimano Bike

Apr 29, 2019
Boulder
Hey egroupthink:

A buddy sent me a link to the latest Orbea RS Ranger extender

It says that it connects directly to the "standard charging port"

Has anyone tried using this on a different Shimano spec'ed bike?

thanks much
Chuck

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
Hey egroupthink:

A buddy sent me a link to the latest Orbea RS Ranger extender

Has anyone tried using this on a different Shimano spec'ed bike?

thanks much
Chuck

I don't think you'll really be able to find anyone that has tried using one of Orbea's range extenders for a Rise. You can't actually buy them from Orbea as a spare part.

I work at a shop and we're an Orbea dealer, we can't even order the extended from Orbea unless we order with one of the bikes we have on order. So you can't just order a spare one after buying a Rise, so that might make it harder to come by one.

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
I think your problem is that this range extender has a connection that won’t fit all Shimano Steps eeb external frame connection sockets. I don’t know which bike manufacturers’ this external frame socket specification fits beyond the Orbea, but others here will. For example, it doesn’t fit all Orbeas. The socket on the frame on my SC Bullit is very different.

In the picture, you’ll see I’ve put a yellow circle around the connection to the motor inside the frame. That whole thing there is the wiring harness that links the external charging socket, the internal battery and the motor together on the Rise. That internal ‘final’ circled connection is common to Shimano Steps EP8 motors, because this is the part of the harness that plugs into the EP8 motor and its the same on all EP8’s unsurprisingly. So, it’s the same as on my SC.

The other wire in the picture is the connector that runs from the Orbea Extender battery you’re interested into the external charging socket on the Orbea Rise frame. And it’s that connection that’s the problem.

So, to answer your question, some bikes, maybe, “Yes” and others, “No”. If the wise and knowledgeable here can’t put a list together, you’ll need to check the connection on each manufacturer’s website.

B1373B0F-B90B-4C27-9DAD-CFE898676EF5.png

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2019
Boulder
Thanks much Coolcmsc
I know the motor connectors are universal and had thought they all used ROHS compatible connectors but clearly they are different species.

Wonder if it would be possible to clip the connector and wire it up with the individual bikes connector?

Anyone have a resource in the Denver/Boulder area who may do this kind of work?

Apr 29, 2019
Boulder
I don't think you'll really be able to find anyone that has tried using one of Orbea's range extenders for a Rise. You can't actually buy them from Orbea as a spare part.

I work at a shop and we're an Orbea dealer, we can't even order the extended from Orbea unless we order with one of the bikes we have on order. So you can't just order a spare one after buying a Rise, so that might make it harder to come by one.
Roger that - thanks. A missed opportunity for brands

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
Regarding making the actual watertight join, that would be straightforward.

But that’s not remotely the problem with your question.

The main issue with that suggestion is the question of how the bike software manages using the extender battery and the internal battery. Lots of electrical sensing and other software bits and bobs involved in that. I don’t think there’s any chance it would work. I see no reason why that capability would be built into all EP8 Steps motor chips. It’ll be bespoke to Orbea - a guess, but I bet I’m correct.

And then you’d also need to aquire and then butcher a second battery charger to get the connector for the frame socket. I’m not aware any manufacturer sells those on their own - but happy to be wrong. Whilst it seems likely that the wiring would be the same in the battery charger wire (to the external frame port to charge on the bike) as it is the connector from the Orbea Extender connection (which would also be butchered), I think you’d be lucky to find somebody who already knew both facts (one for each wire) before you started. And if the wiring inside the wire is different, then I would expect the software and sensors that detect abnormal electrical values (such as due to moisture ingress somewhere) to detect the weird wiring join needed. You wouldn’t find out until you’d chopped up quite a lot of $ of electrics.

So, “No”, which is a giant massive shame. There’s money for an enterprising person in this one needing some of the skills those who build de-restrictors have… do they read here?

Apr 29, 2019
Boulder
I have a second Focus charger with a rohs plug which was relatively easy to find. However, as you say it's not as easy as connecting wire "a" to wire "b".

Graham over at TrialWatts UK does a stellar job and offers an extender that fits the Focus/Specialized/SC.

He is adding more models all the time, but it's a ton of dough to get one to the US.

8 of us here in Boulder run them with good results, however no solution for the new Yeti, so thus my question on if the Orbea would work!

1638490417310.png

Buggbairn

Subscriber
Sep 13, 2021
Falkirk

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada

Cool, I'm just telling you that in Canada from my experience working at a Orbea dealer that they won't allow us to buy the battery extenders separately. One of us at the shop ordered a custom Rise without the extender and they won't even allow us to buy one. We were told they need to be ordered with a bike.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Cool, I'm just telling you that in Canada from my experience working at a Orbea dealer that they won't allow us to buy the battery extenders separately. One of us at the shop ordered a custom Rise without the extender and they won't even allow us to buy one. We were told they need to be ordered with a bike.
Thats not the case in th UK, they can just be ordered by anyone from many shops.

There was a 10% off deal from one shop last week

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire

It should say to the ORBEA standard charging port.

The Orbea one is different to my Merida one. The extender comes with a male/female cable for the Orbea ports. If you had the inclination you could potentially source a connector for your bike and see if it works by removing the Orbea connector. I don't think it would work though as the extender has some electronics in it and they may not be compatible.

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
I replied in your other thread. My view (synopsis) - unlikely to work, mainly at the software level...

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
Graham over at TrialWatts UK does a stellar job and offers an extender that fits the Focus/Specialized/SC.

He is adding more models all the time, but it's a ton of dough to get one to the US.
So, Graham’s that enterprising person, thanks!

Had a look at the TrialWatts U.K. site and I see they offer several Levo extender options and one for the Focus which both use the ‘Rosenberger’ connector. So, that makes sense as the ‘brains’ for the system come with the extender.

@Chuckinboulder you said that TrialWatts also make an extender for SC. I can’t see that on their site. Do you have that info ‘cos you’re in touch as your crew’s bought the kit for your Focuses (? Foci 🤣)? Ta!

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
PS: I’ve reached out to Graham at TrailWatts U.K. and will report back 😊
PPS: Desr Moderator, Thanks for moving my posts over - I missed there was a better place 🙄

Last edited:

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I’ve had a dream, and in my dream ebikes came with a batterie bench with modular system so that a rider could choose using up to three or four batteries according to the actual riding intended for the day.
Unfortunatelly most people that are about to buy an $10.000,00 ebike are dreaming of disguising their ebikes even have a batterie.

Apr 29, 2019
Boulder
PS: I’ve reached out to Graham at TrailWatts U.K. and will report back 😊
PPS: Desr Moderator, Thanks for moving my posts over - I missed there was a better place 🙄
Hey - see above pic.

Evidently he has a number of models worked out which don’t show on his site.

He’s a good guy and and I get the feeling his biz is jamming right now.

Usually takes a couple of emails to get him to respond.

he says he needs an actual example of that model to build the harness and all his batteries use Samsung cells and a BEC circuitry.

I love mine for the Focus, but am bummed he has no Yeti harness as that’s the bike I’m saving for

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Hey - see above pic.

he says he needs an actual example of that model to build the harness and all his batteries use Samsung cells and a BEC circuitry.

I love mine for the Focus, but am bummed he has no Yeti

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
Hey - see above pic.

I love mine for the Focus, but am bummed he has no Yeti harness as that’s the bike I’m saving for
Thank you!

mandrews

May 8, 2021
United States
I have a second Focus charger with a rohs plug which was relatively easy to find. However, as you say it's not as easy as connecting wire "a" to wire "b".

8 of us here in Boulder run them with good results, however no solution for the new Yeti, so thus my question on if the Orbea would work!

View attachment 77311
Hey Chuck,

What shipping company was used?

I found another company that makes a range extender (not Trail Watts) but they will only ship if I use a third party courier.

Thanks
Mike

Apr 29, 2019
Boulder
Hey Chuck,

What shipping company was used?

I found another company that makes a range extender (not Trail Watts) but they will only ship if I use a third party courier.

Thanks
Mike
Hi Mike - not sure who Trail Watts uses to ship, you can connect with him through FB. I do know that it was expensive. I got a quote from his company to ship a Shimano battery from the EU to the US and it was $250+. Please post the other extender, and how will you connect it to the existing Shimano wiring harness?

mandrews

May 8, 2021
United States
This the battery I am ordering: https://www.extenderbattery.com/neg...-oli-sport---am80/batteria-378-wh-universale/

Instructions: https://www.extenderbattery.com/collegamento-extender/

I don't mind the cost at all. Since it would significantly extend the life of my existing batter and overall utility of the bike so I don't have to spend another $10k on a new bike for years to come.

But so far I cannot find a shipper. I tried Eurosender and initially they said they could do it, so then when I placed the order, they said they currently do not ship by sea.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California

Whoooooaaaa...
Is that your Bullit with a Trailwatts extender?

The last he and I spoke, he didn't yet have anything for my 2021 Heckler.
I'd LOVE to get ahold of some extra watts.

If Graham does have something for me, I'd like to chat with you about your experience with it.
I'm in Socal.

Thx.
Rob

Apr 29, 2019
Boulder
Whoooooaaaa...
Is that your Bullit with a Trailwatts extender?

The last he and I spoke, he didn't yet have anything for my 2021 Heckler.
I'd LOVE to get ahold of some extra watts.

If Graham does have something for me, I'd like to chat with you about your experience with it.
I'm in Socal.

Thx.
Rob
Yo Rob - nope, not my ride. Graham made an extender for my focus which was more straight forward as it used the already in place focus extender cable.

I’ve been prodding him to do a harness for my yeti, but to no avail. Seems like he has to have possession of the bike to wire it up and I live in the states.

it’s a super system and robust battery.

just wish someone could break the Shimano code and offer and off the shelf solution

pdrmartins

Apr 24, 2023
Portugal
Hi!

So I have a Canyon Neuron On with the main Batt a 630w.

Also I'm looking for a range extender and I wonder if it's possible to do that for longer rides.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles