USA Class 3 MTBs... hard to find.

JustinMD

Sep 23, 2019
Arizona
I'm currently searching the market for a Class 3 eMTB. Seems to be a bit of unicorn unless I wouldn't mind owning something that resembles a Walmart bike.

Why Class 3? We I rented a RockyMountain Powerplay and took it up to demo on a trail that I know well. This trail can be done as a loop but the climb is about 6 miles of paved mountain road. Not a problem. It usually takes me about 50 minutes or so to climb the road on my Analog bike. First thing I did was hit the road and start pedaling. The bike zoomed up to 20mph and fell on its face. Since I don't have the power to pedal the bike over 20mph up the road I cruised up the road at... 20mph. TOTAL BUZZ KILL. Other than that it was a fun bike.

I plan to use my eMTB to carry my 40 pound trail work pack and me up to the hard to access parts of the trail system I live near. Shorter travel ok. 65 degree HTA would be ideal. Plus is fine because of the sand in my area but a fat bike isn't needed.

So whats the deal with all the class 1? Is it because the industry is scared of all the backlash from 28mph? I mean lets be real. I have never hit anything over about 22/24 on my local ST and I have only been to 28+ at a bike park or during an enduro race.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
I'm currently searching the market for a Class 3 eMTB. Seems to be a bit of unicorn unless I wouldn't mind owning something that resembles a Walmart bike.

Why Class 3? We I rented a RockyMountain Powerplay and took it up to demo on a trail that I know well. This trail can be done as a loop but the climb is about 6 miles of paved mountain road. Not a problem. It usually takes me about 50 minutes or so to climb the road on my Analog bike. First thing I did was hit the road and start pedaling. The bike zoomed up to 20mph and fell on its face. Since I don't have the power to pedal the bike over 20mph up the road I cruised up the road at... 20mph. TOTAL BUZZ KILL. Other than that it was a fun bike.

I plan to use my eMTB to carry my 40 pound trail work pack and me up to the hard to access parts of the trail system I live near. Shorter travel ok. 65 degree HTA would be ideal. Plus is fine because of the sand in my area but a fat bike isn't needed.

So whats the deal with all the class 1? Is it because the industry is scared of all the backlash from 28mph? I mean lets be real. I have never hit anything over about 22/24 on my local ST and I have only been to 28+ at a bike park or during an enduro race.
The reason is because only Class 1 are permitted on wilderness trails or unprepared surfaces In county or state parks.
So manufacturers just adhered to regional Ebike regulations.
Now that class 1-3 bikes are allowed in national parks, hopefully Emtbs will be allowed in all parks at state and county levels and class 1-3 will be permitted. Personally I think 25mph is more than enough.
The only class 3 mountain bike readily available in the US is the Bulls E-Stream EVO 45 AM.

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe

What? Riding up a road in eighteen minutes instead of fifty is a buzz kill because you want to be able to do it in thirteen minutes? Get yourself a motorcycle.

I think that the deal with manufacturers selling mostly Class I is just that there’s safety in simplicity of operation, plus the manufacturers are mostly selling eBikes to people who have bikes.

JustinMD

Sep 23, 2019
Arizona
What? Riding up a road in eighteen minutes instead of fifty is a buzz kill because you want to be able to do it in thirteen minutes? Get yourself a motorcycle.

I think that the deal with manufacturers selling mostly Class I is just that there’s safety in simplicity of operation, plus the manufacturers are mostly selling eBikes to people who have bikes.
Just happened to be where I tested the bike. It's about 10 miles on the road to the base of my local trail system and then up about 2500 feet in 5miles or so. It would be nice to have the power and speed to make the road commute as short as possible.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Just happened to be where I tested the bike. It's about 10 miles on the road to the base of my local trail system and then up about 2500 feet in 5miles or so. It would be nice to have the power and speed to make the road commute as short as possible.
You want what you want....its ok.

I am hoping the relaxed US federal policies concerning ebikes (recently announced) will force manufacturers to start producing more class 3 bikes for the US markets. For the most part, its a setting in the system software that I bet $100 of "negotiations" with your local bike shop, prior to purchase, could fix. Lol.

But, if you have the dough to blow. This is the holy grail in my book.
https://optibike.com/optibike-r15c/

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe

That makes more sense; I didn’t think abou getting off the road and away from the cars as fast as you can.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
You want what you want....its ok.

I am hoping the relaxed US federal policies concerning ebikes (recently announced) will force manufacturers to start producing more class 3 bikes for the US markets. For the most part, its a setting in the system software that I bet $100 of "negotiations" with your local bike shop, prior to purchase, could fix. Lol.

But, if you have the dough to blow. This is the holy grail in my book.
https://optibike.com/optibike-r15c/
Even if you paid me a $1000000 I wouldn’t be able to make the bike go any faster than it was intended. The diagnostic software I use from various manufacturers won’t let me.
The optibike is cool but not as cool as a real motorcycle

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Even if you paid me a $1000000 I wouldn’t be able to make the bike go any faster than it was intended. The diagnostic software I use from various manufacturers won’t let me.
About the speed limit. I'm ignorant about it mostly, but I thought the only difference between speed limits was a setting, hence all the hack boxes out there. Forgive me.

The motorcycle thing... this is about prospective I guess. There are two in my stable, but I prefer the emtb by a fair margin. My moto is for sale.

2012 Honda crf250r

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Well I guess I owe you $100. Lmao.But I can't afford a cool million.

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
You guys do realize that a derestricted Class 1 is essentially a Class 3 don't you? The only thing different is the top assisted speed, all else is identical.

skyfree

Aug 31, 2018
Fremont, CA USA
As long as you have a wide ratio group set derestricting is your best option. Class 1 eMTB are typically geared low because it's meant for the trail. Class 3 bikes are geared higher for the road. You will likely need to get a larger chainring after derestricting which will compromise your low gear a bit, but if your group set has a wide ratio you should be OK.

I have the same use case on one trail where I do 14 miles of trail, and then return uphill on the road. Hit Turbo and GO. I will say that other than that one situation, I'm just fine with the 20 mph class 1 restriction. I don't really like riding on the road any more so avoid that when possible.

frankenbike

Sep 18, 2019

Did you get this sorted out? There are some options out there that use the Bafang Ultra motor (1KW) that allow you to set the cutoff speed to whatever you want through the bar mounted display (and more intensive programming of the controller to tune the power ramp up and down, torque sensor sensitivity and more can be done using an app). Here are a some links
Blade 2.0 - Pre Order
EX BIKE EX - Frey Bike International
specifications
Biktrix - Ultimate Electric Bikes

Rick53

Feb 12, 2020
Muskegon, MI, USA

I realize this is late : I am in Florida For a Few Days : We went an Rented some Ebikes this Morning : It's almost 80 Degrees and the Winds they said were 10 MPH > One of the Bikes Rented was an Sduro 3.0 . I think a Yamaha Engine. The other was a Specialized Como 4 :
Before the ride I had this idea in My head that going 24 + MPH would be really enjoyable : It is and it isn't : For short bursts I suppose it's ok : But I was able to go 22 on the Sduro in Short Burst. The Trip was 15 miles: My experience is that you tend to slow down to around 17-18 MPH just to give your body a Break. Especially riding into a Headwind on Bikes you sit Upright on . The Little Sduro was actually more fun because it was Quick. Although The Specialized wasn't a Slouch : My Wife never got over 19 MPH , because she actually thought that was to fast:
I also learned that even on Paved Roads : FS Bikes are actually better handling then No suspension at all. I'm glad I got the chance to do this.

I learned Class 3 isn't all that you imagine it to be : Plus there were several times that where you are riding doesn't even allow for the time to reach 28 MPH : I would guess we averaged around 15-17 MPH because of Conditions and surroundings
I still like the idea of a Class 3 : But it's not the Priority it was before I went : SUSPENSION IT :)
Although I'd have to ride them again to tell for sure : The Specialized seemed to be more natural based on effort then the Yamaha did. But from a stop the Yamaha was quicker : Gearing likely some of what contributed to that > But over all specialized engine (motor) seemed more like riding a bike only Faster. Like their Sales pitch says

Last edited:

lamerecycles

Apr 10, 2019
Minneapolis
Here at LaMere Cycles we are known for our Class 3 eMTB bikes, check them out at this link, we'd love to build one for you this week any way you like!

2023 Diode eMTB EXT.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles