URGENT FOR USA eBikers - US Forest Service Seeking Input

NorCalLevo

Jan 9, 2020
Redwood City, California
Thank you. I have submitted my comment. Basically my gist was, where pedal bikes are permitted, so should ebikes. We have the same ecological impact, and the speed difference is really only on the uphill portions, which are slow enough to not impact other users.

jsharpe

May 15, 2019
USA
This is the comment I've just submitted. It's basically the same as what I sent to BLM, local governments, etc.

I have been hiking, riding, and helping to maintain many miles of our local trails for more than 24 years. During that time, I have observed a substantial change in the amount and types of uses. There has been a fairly recent but increasing appearance of class 1 pedal-assist e-bikes on trails both where they are allowed (e.g. Hartman Rocks) or not explicitly allowed (most of the USFS trails).

I have yet to observe or hear from others about even a single occurrence of any kind of problem or negative impact due to their use of the trail system. From my observations, they do not have any impacts different from a human-only powered bicycle. Acceptable behavior and trail etiquette is unrelated to equipment. Actually, the riders I've met on class 1 e-bikes typically seem even more polite and considerate than some of those on human-powered bikes.

Not only do they allow access to some who otherwise might not take advantage to our natural assets, for example, due to the age of the rider or elevation and/or grade of the trail (most of which are both high and steep in our area), but they also seem to be spreading the load to some of the underutilized trails which helps reduce the traffic on some of the most popular and heavily trafficked routes.

I strongly support treating class 1 pedal-assist e-bikes the same as a non-motorized bicycle and for them not to be considered a “motor vehicle”. In my opinion, they are an effective and appropriate way to utilize our trail assets.

ctdiver

Sep 6, 2019
Connecticut, USA
Just submitted

==

I'm a healthy 50yo who rides 7 days a week here in central Connecticut. Depending on diff factors (ie weather) I decide to go out on my road/gravel bike, regular MTB or class 1 eMTB (2018 Specialized Levo). I have ridden over 1k miles on each over the past couple years and am well qualified to speak on the differences between MTB and eMTBs. The two most important I'd like you to understand are 1- Class 1 eMTB motors are NOT the primary source of power and 2- eMTB's footprint on terrain is the same as a MTB. I could go into more detailed explanations on both but will spare you that.

The problem we have out here is with the local mountain bike associations, namely NEMBA. They have been actively lobbying for continued segregation of eMTBs to only use motorcycle trails, citing outdated motor vehicle laws as a pretext to have privileged access to what is instead a public resource. When I decide to ride my eMTB I am not going to drive 70 miles to ride a forest road on the other side of the state. I am going to ride the same local trails as I do on my MTB. NEMBA says eMTBs are banned from all singletrack trails in New England. This incites the hardline NEMBA members to feel empowered to harass, bully and intimidate other citizens from using "their" trails. This NIMBYism has created a great and unnecessary rift in our local mountain biking community.

Most people cannot tell the difference between a MTB and eMTB. This is only going to continue as technology improves and manufactures build eMTBs which look almost identical to their MTB counterparts (compare the 2021 version of Specialized's Levo to their Stumpjumper). As such trying to enforce any rules between MTB and eMTBs will become futile.

What eMTBs riders need are more national-level organizations to be progressive and green light the use of Class 1 pedal-assist eMTBs on public land. The National Park Service recently did this and I hope the US Forest Service follows suit. It will be the right side of history.

I strongly support treating class 1 pedal-assist eMTBs the same as a pedal MTBs. They are human operated and should not fall in the motorized vehicle category.

Thank you for considering

==

Last edited:

ctdiver

Sep 6, 2019
Connecticut, USA
Also if you want to read through all the public replies go to this link

Looks like about 30,000 (1200x25) have been submitted. Try not to get worked up reading some of the hater's submits especially ones from official organizations they're ridiculous.

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
Most people cannot tell the difference between a MTB and eMTB. This is only going to continue as technology improves and manufactures build eMTBs which look almost identical to their MTB counterparts (compare the 2021 version of Specialized's Levo to their Stumpjumper). As such trying to enforce any rules between MTB and eMTBs will become futile.

I don't think that is the best argument to make for access, since you can't tell the difference between Class 1-3 or many ebikes that are above that either. To say it's futile is to encourage them to throw up their hands and keep the ban in place.

ctdiver

Sep 6, 2019
Connecticut, USA
I don't think that is the best argument to make for access, since you can't tell the difference between Class 1-3 or many ebikes that are above that either. To say it's futile is to encourage them to throw up their hands and keep the ban in place.

Yes that's a fair point. Will revise in any future communication on the topic thanks for the feedback.

papab

Jun 10, 2018
colorado
I won't post my whole response, but one thing I said:
I respectfully request one modification to the proposed changes -- that electric bicycles be removed from the definition of “motor vehicle” and considered to be a non-motorized use. FSM 7700 defines a Motor Vehicle as "Any vehicle which is self-propelled". Pedal assist e-bikes are not self propelled and therefore should not be classified as motor vehicles.

Some of that I borrowed from here:

Side note: BLM recently released their new rule. I skimmed it and it basically is very reasonable, but it leaves it up to the local BLM to open things up. I need to contact some BLM folks and see what they are going to do.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles