Upgrading Shimano motor

Master Link

Dec 7, 2018
Isle of Wight
You might want to check all the plastic guards / covers would fit. I tried to replace a e7000 with an e8000 and whilst it physically fitted, the covers were way off and would have been a complete bodge job.

Still, awesome news if it is possible! As you say, opens up a whole new opportunity to upgrade our bikes.
Hi JimBob, very good points. Looks like some more thought is needed on the project.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
You might want to check all the plastic guards / covers would fit. I tried to replace a e7000 with an e8000 and whilst it physically fitted, the covers were way off and would have been a complete bodge job.

Still, awesome news if it is possible! As you say, opens up a whole new opportunity to upgrade our bikes.
Very good point. Are they something that a 3D printer could take care of?

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
Very good point. Are they something that a 3D printer could take care of?
I recon that would be a very good solution, although would need someone who is far more capable with CAD than me.

The other option is to get covers from a different bike. I was told that they are unique to each frame, but I just can't believe that.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I recon that would be a very good solution, although would need someone who is far more capable with CAD than me.

The other option is to get covers from a different bike. I was told that they are unique to each frame, but I just can't believe that.
A cover from another bike would make a good starting point. I can believe that they are all different. The bikes will have been designed on a CAD system and it would be easy to give the details to whichever company makes that sort of stuff. They would use the CAD details to, make their own moulds.

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
A cover from another bike would make a good starting point. I can believe that they are all different. The bikes will have been designed on a CAD system and it would be easy to give the details to whichever company makes that sort of stuff. They would use the CAD details to, make their own moulds.
Very true, but on my bike at least, they have shimano branding on which I wouldn't have thought a frame manufacturer would add? I'd therefore assumed they came from shimano, which would make sense as it's just part of the bike design constraints, the same as the bolt mounting pattern etc. Of course there could be an off the shelf version for some bikes and custom for others.

The skid plates though, agreed that they will be frame specific.

Would need to get a few bikes together to have a quick look.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles