Upgrade the spectral oncf8 or get the cf9

beanzz

Feb 7, 2023
United Kingdom
As said in the title I can get the cf8 for 1.1k less and then I would get a better fork from pinkbike for 600 or so.
Or I can get the CF9 and have an overall better bike
Any advice would be appreciated

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
Hi I looked into this at some point, your budget and the current sales may change your priorities.

I personally don't find the CF8 that interesting, you are getting an entry level fork with a cheapish shock. Wheels are probably not great, but a big plus would be shimano transmission and brakes. So if I were to get it I would need to swap out the entire suspension, with priority to the shock as a non-piggyback shock is going to suffer on e-bikes. Nice wheels could also make a difference.

So I would actually go for the CF7 and upgrade that: high end shock with a cheapish fork damper upgrade would be first on the list. I almost think the Race face wheels would be easier to sell than the CF8's Sunringles. Weirdly the transmission is pretty much equivalent to the CF8. One major issue with this plan is that as far as I can see, Canyon won't let you spec the 900Wh battery on this build, so that could be a no go.

The CF9 with the current discount is a really nice build, AXS eagle is pretty cool considering it will prevent one extra cable through your headset. The only kinda disapointing component is the wheels considering they are DT Swiss's cheapest wheelset, but still a good wheel (pretty much what I use on my current bike).

beanzz

Feb 7, 2023
United Kingdom
The CF9 with the current discount is a really nice build, AXS eagle is pretty cool considering it will prevent one extra cable through your headset. The only kinda disapointing component is the wheels considering they are DT Swiss's cheapest wheelset, but still a good wheel (pretty much what I use on my current bike
Thank you for the fantastically detailed response it's very helpful :D I think I will probably just go for the CF 9 as whilst I can probably upgrade the cf7 to a similar or better standard for the same price the time and effort doesn't entirely seem worth it

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
Thank you for the fantastically detailed response it's very helpful :D I think I will probably just go for the CF 9 as whilst I can probably upgrade the cf7 to a similar or better standard for the same price the time and effort doesn't entirely seem worth it
No problem, I'm glad all the time I wasted in their comparison tool might help someone.

By the way, re-reading my post, I realise I am using quite strong wording in many places, I do think generally all the builds are good without much changes and with the current sales there is absolutely nothing out there with better bang for your buck.

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
It is more to do with the amount of oil in the system helping with compression damping. Generally, piggyback shocks will perform a lot better on longer descents as the oil will heat up less. In my personal experience, any non-piggyback shock that has ever come as stock on my enduro bikes has always failed within a year, never had an issue with piggyback ones.

Drew502

Feb 14, 2023
Hood River
It is more to do with the amount of oil in the system helping with compression damping. Generally, piggyback shocks will perform a lot better on longer descents as the oil will heat up less. In my personal experience, any non-piggyback shock that has ever come as stock on my enduro bikes has always failed within a year, never had an issue with piggyback ones.
That sucks that Canyon under-specs the rear shock.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles