Upgrade suggestions!

Osiris

Mar 6, 2019
Gloucestershire
So, I’ve got £1000.00 to spend on upgrades to my 2019 Levo Comp. I already have Hope pedals, Hope Grips, Renthal Fatbar Lite, and am using Eddy Currents tubeless (Most swapped off previous bike!).

I’m considering a set of Hope Fortus 35’s and Hope Tech 3 V4 brakes, yes I am a fan of Hope products! However, not sure if the cash would be better spent on other things.
Ive just read a review of the Shimano Saints brakes and am impressed. Any suggestions and advice would be great.

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
So, I’ve got £1000.00 to spend on upgrades to my 2019 Levo Comp. I already have Hope pedals, Hope Grips, Renthal Fatbar Lite, and am using Eddy Currents tubeless (Most swapped off previous bike!).

I’m considering a set of Hope Fortus 35’s and Hope Tech 3 V4 brakes, yes I am a fan of Hope products! However, not sure if the cash would be better spent on other things.
Ive just read a review of the Shimano Saints brakes and am impressed. Any suggestions and advice would be great.
I’ve been looking at the Magura eBike specific brakes too with 220mm rotors

Moose

Feb 19, 2018
Cheltenham Spa

A friend has a set of almost new Hope Tech3 V4 for sale. Based in Cheltenham. PM me if you would like contact details. Asking £350.
Screenshot 2019-12-25 at 18.42.13.png
Screenshot 2019-12-25 at 18.41.51.png

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ

I have the Ice-tech Saints on my Trek Remedy and the M520 on my RM Altitude. 8" rotors f&r both bikes. Awesome brakes that are reliable. Easy to bleed and service. Mineral oil has some advantages over DOT fluid - possibly the most important being the oil and seals don't de-grade when the bike sits for periods. The power of the M520 is the same as the Saint, just the parts are of lower spec. Still good enough to control 24.5kg of Altitude Powerplay and an 85kg rider down the steepest of descents. I would 100% recommend the Saint brakes. Or even the Zee if you want to save a few quid. I started using Brobike pads and am finding them to be very good. Although they don't sell internationally afaik.

Osiris

Mar 6, 2019
Gloucestershire
I have the Ice-tech Saints on my Trek Remedy and the M520 on my RM Altitude. 8" rotors f&r both bikes. Awesome brakes that are reliable. Easy to bleed and service. Mineral oil has some advantages over DOT fluid - possibly the most important being the oil and seals don't de-grade when the bike sits for periods. The power of the M520 is the same as the Saint, just the parts are of lower spec. Still good enough to control 24.5kg of Altitude Powerplay and an 85kg rider down the steepest of descents. I would 100% recommend the Saint brakes. Or even the Zee if you want to save a few quid. I started using Brobike pads and am finding them to be very good. Although they don't sell internationally afaik.
cheers for that, ive been impressed with the reviews that I’ve read so far, but its nice to hear from somebody using them.

Osiris

Mar 6, 2019
Gloucestershire
If they were any other colour than purple they probably wouldn't be £350... :ROFLMAO:

I'd spend the money on fork and shock upgrades and any leftover on coaching to get the best out of the upgrades.
interesting, `i’d not considered that. food for thought and maybe back to the drawing board!

escrs

Jun 26, 2019
UK
Fork and shock upgrades first as they are the most expensive and suspension is a big part of the bike, then sell your old fork & shock and use the money to buy better brakes, then sell your old brakes to buy better bars and stem, then sell your bars and stem and....well you get the picture

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Fork and shock upgrades first as they are the most expensive and suspension is a big part of the bike, then sell your old fork & shock and use the money to buy better brakes, then sell your old brakes to buy better bars and stem, then sell your bars and stem and....well you get the picture
This is the right path for upgrading

Osiris

Mar 6, 2019
Gloucestershire
100% Agree, all that bling is not going to make you any faster, a good and well setup suspension most certainly will!

G
Thank you all for your advice. Off to the LBS on Saturday to discuss suspension upgrades!!!!

Last edited:

Osiris

Mar 6, 2019
Gloucestershire
So, just an update, I am looking at a Fox Factory rear shock, internal upgrades for forks and a hope rear wheel. Will then sell the old shock and get the hope front wheel! Brakes seem to be much improved now I’ve set them up correctly!!! So no rush to upgrade those at the moment.

Thank you again for all you help guys, I will post a piccy of the bike when the new toys arrive!

cheers

escrs

Jun 26, 2019
UK
Which fox factory shock are you getting?

DPX2 is a good trail shock, DHX2 is a downhill coil shock (people fit them to the levo and like them even though the levo isnt really designed for a coil shock) or an Float X2 which is a trail/enduro shock

Also the std Levo shock is 210x52.5 but you can fit a 210x55 shock (fits fine and Spesh says it wont void any warranty) which will take the levo from 150mm of rear travel to 157mm of rear travel, this along with upgrading the forks to 160mm makes the bike a bit more capable

Also id buy the shock from TFTuned as they will take all your details like weight, style of riding and the frame its being fitted to etc.. and tune the shock to suit you before sending it out

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
I can live with the rear shock on my 19 levo carbon but the fork... thats gotta go
after that for me its the wheels, the rest of it i reckon I can live with but if I had a windfall the brakes and rear shock would go as well..

gaba

Dec 31, 2018
California
+1 for Saint brakes. (I swapped from Code RSCs). If you want Codes I’ll sell u them for a good price. Basically brand new. I’ve ridden Shimano forever. Super easy to maintain yourself. NO DOT FLUID.

Cushcore- relatively cheap very significant upgrade.

160mm Fox 36 grip 2- perfect for Levo.

Shopping around I got all 3 for about 1050$ US.

Osiris

Mar 6, 2019
Gloucestershire
So, after being mucked around by LBS, finally got the parts and have upgraded the internals of the front fork, and replaced the rear shock with a Fox DHC2 Coil. Been out in the dark and fog at FOD tonight and it’s an awesome set up, loving it, thank you all for the suggestions.

DB962421-07E1-4209-ABDD-484BB72DA6FB.jpeg

ED854C9B-0F3B-44BB-BD1E-5DFF9298BA7F.jpeg

BE3CA304-5753-4F74-949D-3381FDDB5DA2.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles