Levo Gen 2 Upgrade info.

Hoochy Glider

Jul 30, 2020
Australia
Hello all.
2020 Turbo Levo
If I upgrade the stock 32T chainring to a 34T chainring...
1. Do I need a new/longer Chain?
2. Do I need a different chainring guide?

If I upgrade the stem to a Renthal apex 35.
1. can I still use the SWAT Tool cap?

thanks

Hello all.
2020 Turbo Levo
If I upgrade the stock 32T chainring to a 34T chainring...
1. Do I need a new/longer Chain?
2. Do I need a different chainring guide?

If I upgrade the stem to a Renthal apex 35.
1. can I still use the SWAT Tool cap?

thanks

As far as the chain goes, no you don't need a longer chain. I put a 36T on my 2019 and it's fine. You might have to adjust the position of the guide but according to Rob Hancill a 34T fits OK. With my 36T I found a way of fitting it reversed.
No idea about the other stuff.

Hoochy Glider

Jul 30, 2020
Australia
As far as the chain goes, no you don't need a longer chain. I put a 36T on my 2019 and it's fine. You might have to adjust the position of the guide but according to Rob Hancill a 34T fits OK. With my 36T I found a way of fitting it reversed.
No idea about the other stuff.

Hi. Thanks for that.
So with the 36T Did you have to change your chain? Adjust/tune drive train? I’m newbie and don’t know how to tune drivetrain yet.

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
Actually, it comes with 2 inner pieces, one so you can run it without the inside guide and another that replaces the stock inner guide.
I use mine with the innner guide.
There's some slight rubbing of the chain on the inner guide, in the lowest gears, but not enough to bother me
IMG_20200731_104155.jpg

Hoochy Glider

Jul 30, 2020
Australia
Actually, it comes with 2 inner pieces, one so you can run it without the inside guide and another that replaces the stock inner guide.
There's some slight rubbing of the chain on the inner guide, but not enough to bother me
Can that not be filed off?

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
Pictures? I'm curious how you did that.

copied the pictures from Levo Laland on this:

you have to drill out the slotted hole too so its round. I thought this would mean it twists about on its own, but it doesnt seem to

There's some slight rubbing of the chain on the inner guide, in the lowest gears, but not enough to bother me View attachment 37042
That's pretty much what I did with the standard guide. Turned it around and found a position where it worked. Mine also rubs in certain gears but I'm not too bothered about that. An M5 bolt goes through the slot without modification. An M5 washer goes in the outer hole which keeps it all centralised.
P1050487.JPG

Last edited:

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
Here's mine with a 36T. I cut it with a hacksaw.

much prefer the 36T, you could even consider 38T.
Steepest hill I know (Swinley gravel climb at the back of the DH section) I went up just fine in 1st gear.

IMG_0677.JPG

I ran no guide and used the drivetrain for 20 months, not changing a thing and never dropped a chain. Unless you ride proper gnarly it's just belt n braces. I removed the guide from my new SL straight away.

I've already had the chain come off when the guide came apart slightly because the threads partly stripped. That's why now it has a nut and bolt through it. A lot of the Bridleways around here are really bumpy and cause the chain to jump around.

Hoochy Glider

Jul 30, 2020
Australia
I've already had the chain come off when the guide came apart slightly because the threads partly stripped. That's why now it has a nut and bolt through it. A lot of the Bridleways around here are really bumpy and cause the chain to jump around.
Get the correct thread bottoming tap and run it through the hole. It may repair enough and then use Loctite thread locker “high strength”. Do this once you are happy with the guide setup.

You will be sorry when the crown of that nut strikes you clean on the ankle bone. I’m sure you don’t swear so hey you will he fine.
It's miles inside of the crank arms and it's quite well inset into the guide so it maybe sticks out 1~2mm further than the original fixing . AND there's nothing sharp on it. I'm getting more injuries from Nettles, Brambles and the bloody studs on the peddles.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles