Unusual clunk!

MattBaigent

Jun 18, 2022
North Hampshire
Hi all, I have a Sam2 6.8 and I’ve had a strange noise which sounds drivetrain related. It doesn’t always happen but when it does, it is always from me pedalling and goes in time with my pedal strokes.

I have a video of it but it’s not the best.

I’ve checked all motor mounts, removed cassette to check free hub and all looks good.

can now only think it’s motor related or chain ring related. I’ve had the cranks off but I don’t have the chain ring tool so couldn’t check that.

i have a video but not sure how best to upload so I’ll figure that out and upload it shortly

billium

Jul 10, 2022
Sussex
Hi all, I have a Sam2 6.8 and I’ve had a strange noise which sounds drivetrain related. It doesn’t always happen but when it does, it is always from me pedalling and goes in time with my pedal strokes.

I have a video of it but it’s not the best.

I’ve checked all motor mounts, removed cassette to check free hub and all looks good.

can now only think it’s motor related or chain ring related. I’ve had the cranks off but I don’t have the chain ring tool so couldn’t check that.

i have a video but not sure how best to upload so I’ll figure that out and upload it shortly
This is very Heath Robinson but it works:

Get a cheap stethoscope (even a kids 'doctor/nurse' toy one will work) and some thin poly tubing that will fit over the end of the scope.
Then attach the other end of the tube to the bike using tiewraps at various suspect locations and ride while wearing the stethoscope. This should allow you to pinpoint the source of the noise since it will be way louder with the tubing at the source.

Note you can get a proper 'car mechanic stethoscope' for about £15 from Amazon but you will still need to get some poly tubing

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles