Mission Control Understanding Support vs Peak Power in Mission Control App v2.0

Countrykids

Feb 19, 2019
New Zealand
Hi Specialized
I have a 2019 Turbo Levo. I'm wanting clarification of Support vs Peak Power plse. Have read forum answers where I can and I think I've established that at 100% Support and 100% Peak Power, with a 500w battery, say rider input of 100 watts then bike will deliver 320w (3.2 x rider input). If rider puts in say 200w then (because motor max's at 500w and 3.2x 200w is more than 500w) bike will deliver 200 + 500 = 700w.
Lets hope I've got that right!!

OK so firstly, lets say Support is set at 10%, Peak Power is 100% and rider input is 100w, does this mean bike will deliver 32w ie. 132w will be total output.
Again if Support is say, 30%, Peak Power is 100% and Rider input is 100w then bike will deliver 96w
ie. 196w will be total output

Ok assuming I have got the above correct, If I change Peak Power and Support. Say.....
Support 10%, Peak Power 10% and Rider Input 100w does this mean 100w+32w = 132w
but then if I change to say :-
Support 30%, Peak Power 10% and Rider Input 100w does this mean 100w + 50w (being 10% of 500w as opposed to 96w because Peak Power puts a ceiling on the available current of 10%) = 150w

Not sure if that makes sense out loud but that's how I see it, am I correct?
Can you please advise if I have this right and if I haven't quite got it, can you please run the above scenario correctly.

Also, any hope of being able to connect HR device to Mission Control That would make it a one stop shop and no need for any other interfacing devices. At the moment I run Apple Watch for HR recorded within Strava and also Mission Control for each ride.

Thanks heaps for your help
Happy Cycling ;)

Last edited:

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
Interesting, was wondering the same, how this numbers stack up at the end. :unsure:
I'm fiddling around with Eco mode to be closely matched to my road bike as possible.
Yesterday I tested road course with 66km and 1100 elevation with Support&Peak set at 20% and was still 4 minutes quicker than best time on a road bike.
It was Interesting, as I was looking at the numbers on the climb, speed and Virtual Partner advantage/disadvantage time, was almost dead on with 20/20%, but on the straight the bike was still gaining a little, no mayor winds on both days.
Considering that it is the start of the season, I will probably have to drop the Support/Peek to 15%. At the end the average HR&Power were closely matched on both runs.
This Power numbers on LEVO are probably not 100% reliable as the dedicated crank/pedal power meters, but still, was wondering how much actual assistance do I need, to cancel out 13kg weight difference on a climb.
I was trying to stay at around 250-300W on 9-10% short climbs and the speed was really close to what I was doing on a 7kg road bike.
So ECO set to 20/20%, bike needed roughly 80-96W to compensate for the 13kg weight difference, at simullar power output from a rider?:unsure:

Last edited:

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
I'm wanting clarification of Support vs Peak Power plse.

Good question - firstly - here's a link to the User Guide. Secondly, below is more detailed clarification that may help some.

Support = the multiplier of rider power added by the motor
Peak Power = maximum electrical power available to supply the motor

In terms of support, each e-Bike motor is slightly different. 100% on the slider means 4.1x rider power for 2019 Levo (2.1 motor), 3.8x for 2018 Levo (1.3 motor) and 3.2x for older Levo (1.2)

When you talk about motor power, bear in mind that two types of power regularly get confused when discussing e-bikes:

a) Electrical input power (battery power that the motor consumes)
b) Mechanical output power (motor power that is added to rider power at the crank)

Mission Control (+ all other apps using ANT data) measure the electrical input power to the motor (Battery Voltage x Current). This is what you see if you view the stats page whilst riding, and it's what you limit when you reduce peak power - if you reduce peak power to 50% you're effectively limiting the motor to draw up to 50% of maximum permitted battery current. Reducing peak power therefore helps you to preserve battery life/range.

In the real world, what you actually care about/feel is the mechanical output power of the motor. Motors are not 100% efficient, some power is lost to heat so let's use 75% efficiency as an arbitrary estimate. In this example, for every 100W of electrical power the battery supplies to the motor you'd get 75W mechanical power at the crank.

However there are two other things to bear in mind - YOU are not 100% efficient either, often riding in the wrong gear and asking the motor to do all the hard work - PLUS the motor is happiest when you ride in the right gear at a good cadence - let's say 70-90 rpm. So when you're riding in optimum gear and around 80rpm, you're turning 75% of the electrical power consumed into mechanical power - but when you're riding in the wrong gear at 40rpm uphill don't expect the same results!

Below is a graph (data presented by us but measured/validated by an independent lab) showing how power varies with cadence for a number of motors - you can see that aiming for a constant cadence of around 80-90rpm will not only give you optimum power but also efficiency. Whether you are after power or range, pedaling at the right RPM makes a big difference.

1550679856149.png

To put all of this together, let's talk through the default support settings in Mission Control. You can change these to suit your riding style at any time, but let's use these as an example.

1550681320102.png

In Turbo mode on a 2019 Levo with 4.1x rider support at 100%, you'll only need to put in about 140W rider power for the motor to supply you with the maximum assist of 560W (taken from the graph above), assuming you're spinning at about 80-90 rpm. Lots of fun, also useful to get to the trail but possibly too powerful for steep climbing - especially if the ground covering is loose.

On the same bike with Support set to 35%, you're getting approx 1.5x rider support. This will feel much more natural to ride and you'll use less battery - in Trail mode with 100% peak power the motor will still reach it's maximum assist of 560W but this time you need to put in 390W rider power to get there. You get more of a work out and in practice you'll use far less battery. Aim for this mode to give you the best blend of power and efficiency so that you also have optimum control for trail riding.

In Eco mode with support set to 35% you still have approx 1.5x rider support - however you're now limited to 35% peak power (35% of 560W is approx 200W maximum motor assistance). In practice this means that you'll get linear support from the motor up until you put in about 140W rider power (200W added from the motor), but above 140W rider power you'll still only receive 200W support from the motor. This is great to preserve battery life but if you hit that peak support limit whilst climbing something steep, you have to make up all the extra with your legs.

Note: All power mentioned in this Mission Control example is mechanical power output by the motor. If you look in the stats screen of Mission Control whilst riding you will see electrical power consumed by the motor which will be higher. Re-read this article a few times and if still completely unsure...

Rub a Budda on the belly and it will give you the wisdom to understand how it all works.

Last edited:

Countrykids

Feb 19, 2019
New Zealand
Good question - here's some clarification that will help.

In terms of support, each e-Bike motor is slightly different. 100% on the slider means 4.1x rider power for 2019 Levo (2.1 motor), 3.8x for 2018 Levo (1.3 motor) and 3.2x for older Levo (1.2)

When you talk about motor power, bear in mind that two types of power regularly get confused when discussing e-bikes:

a) Electrical input power (how much power the motor consumes)
b) Mechanical output power (how much real motor power is added to rider power)

Mission Control (+ all other apps using ANT data) measure the electrical input power to the motor (Battery Voltage x Current). This is what you see if you view the stats page whilst riding, and it's what you limit when you reduce peak power - if you reduce peak power to 50% you're effectively limiting the motor to draw up to 50% of maximum permitted battery current. Reducing peak power therefore helps you to preserve battery life/range.

In the real world, what you actually care about/feel is the mechanical output power of the motor. Motors are not 100% efficient, some power is lost to heat so let's use 75% efficiency as an arbitrary estimate. In this example, for every 100W of electrical power the battery supplies to the motor you'd get 75W mechanical power at the crank.

However there are two other things to bear in mind - YOU are not 100% efficient either, often riding in the wrong gear and asking the motor to do all the hard work - PLUS the motor is happiest when you ride in the right gear at a good cadence - let's say 70-90 rpm. So when you're riding in optimum gear and around 80rpm, you're turning 75% of the electrical power consumed into mechanical power - but when you're riding in the wrong gear at 40rpm uphill don't expect the same results!

Below is a graph (data presented by us but measured/validated by an independent lab) showing how power varies with cadence for a number of motors - you can see that aiming for a constant cadence of around 80-90rpm will not only give you optimum power but also efficiency. Whether you are after power or range, pedaling at the right RPM makes a big difference.

View attachment 11048

To put all of this together, let's talk through the default support settings in Mission Control. You can change these to suit your riding style at any time, but let's use these as an example.

View attachment 11050

In Turbo mode on a 2019 Levo with 4.1x rider support at 100%, you'll only need to put in about 140W rider power for the motor to supply you with the maximum assist of 560W (taken from the graph above), assuming you're spinning at about 80-90 rpm. Lots of fun, also useful to get to the trail but possibly too powerful for steep climbing - especially if the ground covering is loose.

On the same bike with Support set to 35%, you're getting approx 1.5x rider support. This will feel much more natural to ride and you'll use less battery - in Trail mode with 100% peak power the motor will still reach it's maximum assist of 560W but this time you need to put in 390W rider power to get there. You get more of a work out and in practice you'll use far less battery. Aim for this mode to give you the best blend of power and efficiency so that you also have optimum control for trail riding.

In Eco mode with support set to 35% you still have approx 1.5x rider support - however you're now limited to 35% peak power (35% of 560W is approx 200W maximum motor assistance). In practice this means that you'll get linear support from the motor up until you put in about 140W rider power (200W added from the motor), but above 140W rider power you'll still only receive 200W support from the motor. This is great to preserve battery life but if you hit that peak support limit whilst climbing something steep, you have to make up all the extra with your legs.

Note: All power mentioned in this Mission Control example is mechanical power output by the motor. If you look in the stats screen of Mission Control whilst riding you will see electrical power consumed by the motor which will be higher. Re-read this article a few times and if still completely unsure...
Thanks very much ! Explanation very clear ?

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe

View attachment 11048

View attachment 11050

Thanks for this explanation.
But this peak power for me behaves differently on the bike. I understand the ECO mode 35/35 that is OK. But I tried setting up the Trail mode with 50/100%, similar as in your example, but what I didn't like is, that the bike jumps like hell from the start, not putting in any significant power on the pedals. It was the same as in Turbo set to 100/100, if I compared what the motor did, when you start pedaling or exiting a slow corner.
As you explained if you have set 35/100%, the motor should gradually give you 100% power, when you put maximum effort 300W plus, not before right?

jonpress

Oct 23, 2018
Iver
Without wanting to throw a spanner in the works, how does the shuttle slider impact this? I am currently running with this set to 0. Can you set this per assistance mode or is it a global setting? Apologies if this is hijacking your thread but I didn't want to create a new thread when this one seemed to be referencing the power settings on Mission Control.

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
But this peak power for me behaves differently on the bike. I understand the ECO mode 35/35 that is OK. But I tried setting up the Trail mode with 50/100%, similar as in your example, but what I didn't like is, that the bike jumps like hell from the start, not putting in any significant power on the pedals. It was the same as in Turbo set to 100/100, if I compared what the motor did, when you start pedaling or exiting a slow corner.
As you explained if you have set 35/100%, the motor should gradually give you 100% power, when you put maximum effort 300W plus, not before right?

At 35% support the motor will give you approx 1.5x what you put in. At 50% it will be over 2x your input (i.e. system power is 300% you) - this should feel like a substantial increase. Also note that how that power is delivered on a 2019 Levo does also depend on your Acceleration settings, try dialing this back to 0% (with Shuttle mode also at 0%) and then see if response is more natural.

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
At 35%, the max you will get out of the motor is 560Wx0.35=196W.
With approximate 1.5 multiplayer you only need to pedal at around 130W to rach that.
That is all fine, but shouldn't ECO 35/35 and Trail 35/100 feel the same, up to the point you exed 130W? Only when you go beyond that point, up to 390W, than you will gradually get 100% assistance from tho motor (ECO 35/100), like you would in Turbo mode, only you have to put maximum effort to achieve that?
Well in my experience the motor doesn't behave like that. Acceleration and Shuttle modes are both set to 0% and if I set up Trail to 35/100, to motor kicks in immediately like it was in Turbo 100/100.
I'm happy now with matching support/peak power numbers, but I was just wondering, when you explained how peak power works.

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
At 35%, the max you will get out of the motor is 560Wx0.35=196W.
With approximate 1.5 multiplier you only need to pedal at around 130W to reach that.
That is all fine, but shouldn't ECO 35/35 and Trail 35/100 feel the same, up to the point you exceed 130W? Only when you go beyond that point, up to 390W, than you will gradually get 100% assistance from tho motor (ECO 35/100), like you would in Turbo mode, only you have to put maximum effort to achieve that?
Well in my experience the motor doesn't behave like that. Acceleration and Shuttle modes are both set to 0% and if I set up Trail to 35/100, to motor kicks in immediately like it was in Turbo 100/100.

Yes. And no. Firstly - I can validate this here - it isn't a fault with your bike. If you look at the power curves above, at low cadences the efficiency of any motor is very poor - from a standing start your cadence is zero which means that the motor uses a lot of electrical power to get you off the line. High electrical power consumption at low efficiency = low mechanical power output. Although your gearing can really help here, you cannot avoid drawing a lot of current when you initially pull away. When you limit peak power, you are therefore limiting acceleration.

To prove this, limiting your peak power directly affects battery current. So - in Mission Control go to Diagnose > Battery and scroll to the bottom. Ride in eco vs trail and watch the battery current as you pull away from a standing start. Max battery current at 100% peak power is 20A, so at 35% you should see no more than 7A drawn.

Last edited:

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
Here is a question my wife Linda is waiting on the bike shop to tell her they have found her a bike, it would be down to me to tweak it for her but crikey the app seems to have far too many different settings what with acceleration etc etc how on earth will I get my head around it?

Are the factory settings good to use as in just get the bike and leave it as it comes, she has a Haibike that has standard settings which she likes, but when I read how many different confusing things there are to tweak my mind goes blank :)

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Here is a question my wife Linda is waiting on the bike shop to tell her they have found her a bike, it would be down to me to tweak it for her but crikey the app seems to have far too many different settings what with acceleration etc etc how on earth will I get my head around it?
Don't worry about all of the detail - the default setup works very well, I run it that way for months. No need to tinker around. A bit like graphic equaliser on all those 90's stereos, too many options can be a downfall! Just leave it in stock and she'll love it I'm sure.

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
Riddle me this please @Specialized Rider Care .
What settings would one use to overcome the extra weight and Tyre width compared to a normal hooman powered bike, without giving any extra assistance?
Ie: Levo, in comparison to the Spesh Stumpy.

Probably too many variable here to give you a definitive answer I'm afraid. 5-10% support equates to 20%-40% increase on your own rider power, which is probably roughly right on the flat to match to a carbon StumpJumper (for example) - 100% peak power means that this support level will continue linearly until you hit maximum motor power. However as you climb more steeply, the weight of the bike will have an increased effect and you'll find you may need more support than 10% to match the feel of a carbon StumpJumper. The bottom line is to experiment, and if you get completely lost simply reset to default settings and then start again.

Drburns

Nov 22, 2018
USA
Riddle me this please @Specialized Rider Care .
What settings would one use to overcome the extra weight and Tyre width compared to a normal hooman powered bike, without giving any extra assistance?
Ie: Levo, in comparison to the Spesh Stumpy.

I have my eco mode set to 10% support and 25% PP, and for me, this feels like a normal weight mountain bike.

Cyclejunkie

Founding Member
Mar 27, 2018
Deal Kent
I really take my hat off to everyone contributing to this post...the time the science all the gathering of information that’s gone into it, far beyond my intellect...how do you ever find time to ride your bikes...???...I’m riding a Specialized FSR FATTIE Levo 2018 still on the first Mission Control App which is dog shit...10% eco 55% sport 100% turbo but I’m I Fooking loving ripping my local trails up...expect I could get more from the bike with all the different combos of settings but mine work for me....Simple stuff for sure....stay safe & rubber side down

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
I really take my hat off to everyone contributing to this post...the time the science all the gathering of information that’s gone into it, far beyond my intellect...how do you ever find time to ride your bikes...???...I’m riding a Specialized FSR FATTIE Levo 2018 still on the first Mission Control App which is dog shit...10% eco 55% sport 100% turbo but I’m I Fooking loving ripping my local trails up...expect I could get more from the bike with all the different combos of settings but mine work for me....Simple stuff for sure....stay safe & rubber side down
I am the same train. Just ride, have fun and try to remember to recharge the battery from time to time

Ross1137

Sep 8, 2018
Australia
Hi Specialized
I have a 2019 Turbo Levo. I'm wanting clarification of Support vs Peak Power plse. Have read forum answers where I can and I think I've established that at 100% Support and 100% Peak Power, with a 500w battery, say rider input of 100 watts then bike will deliver 320w (3.2 x rider input). If rider puts in say 200w then (because motor max's at 500w and 3.2x 200w is more than 500w) bike will deliver 200 + 500 = 700w.
Lets hope I've got that right!!

OK so firstly, lets say Support is set at 10%, Peak Power is 100% and rider input is 100w, does this mean bike will deliver 32w ie. 132w will be total output.
Again if Support is say, 30%, Peak Power is 100% and Rider input is 100w then bike will deliver 96w
ie. 196w will be total output

Ok assuming I have got the above correct, If I change Peak Power and Support. Say.....
Support 10%, Peak Power 10% and Rider Input 100w does this mean 100w+32w = 132w
but then if I change to say :-
Support 30%, Peak Power 10% and Rider Input 100w does this mean 100w + 50w (being 10% of 500w as opposed to 96w because Peak Power puts a ceiling on the available current of 10%) = 150w

Not sure if that makes sense out loud but that's how I see it, am I correct?
Can you please advise if I have this right and if I haven't quite got it, can you please run the above scenario correctly.

Also, any hope of being able to connect HR device to Mission Control That would make it a one stop shop and no need for any other interfacing devices. At the moment I run Apple Watch for HR recorded within Strava and also Mission Control for each ride.

Thanks heaps for your help
Happy Cycling ;)
lost me after the first 6 sentences.... but I have a silly brain???

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB

View attachment 11048

View attachment 11050

Yeah, same for me and not really knowing what any did I turned trail peak power from 100 to 90. This made it lot less snatchy. I thought it had to be that as the assistance was the same between trail and eco.

Moochier

Apr 17, 2019
New Zealand
So what is the difference between Turbo mode set to 100/100 and shuttle mode at 100%? Wouldn’t they both give you everything the motor/battery can deliver?

motmcd

Mar 5, 2019
reading,pa
This is a really useful discussion. Thanks to all contributors. I ride 95% of the time in eco mode and have that set at 10/30 - settings that closely replicate, for me, riding regular mtbs. This set up allows me to get in good workouts. I bump up into trail and turbo mode only when my heart rate elevates past my requisite max. I love my Levo Comp.

Moochier

Apr 17, 2019
New Zealand
Ok, so I have a question that is along the line of OP’s post.... what does shuttle mode do and how do you activate it? I thought it was the S button on the top of the shifter, but when I push this it just goes into whatever I’ve set as power level3. If I’m already in power level 3 it appears to do nothing different. I thought shuttle was 100% support and 100% power or more... but if I set level 3 at say 60/80, then press the S button.... nothing seems different....

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
Ok, so I have a question that is along the line of OP’s post.... what does shuttle mode do and how do you activate it?

Activated via a slider in our Mission Control app (on the Tuning page). Note that this is only available for Levo 2019 FSR bikes and will not ever be available for earlier bikes.

1537780663980-png.5493

Moochier

Apr 17, 2019
New Zealand
Activated via a slider in our Mission Control app (on the Tuning page). Note that this is only available for Levo 2019 FSR bikes and will not ever be available for earlier bikes.

1537780663980-png.5493
Thanks for the reply. I have a 2019 Levo and the slider is at 100% for shuttle mode. I just can feel any difference between level 3 and shuttle, even with level 3 tuned down to 60/80%.

Maybe I have to take it back to the shop to see what I’m doing wrong.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles