UK - tow bar mounted bike carrier - suggestions

Banktramp

Jul 13, 2019
West Midlands
As the title says I’m about to get a new car soon with a tow bar fitted so looking for recommendations for a 2-3 tow bar mounted bike carrier.

Will be mainly used to carry a large levo most weekends but also carry normal bikes on family holidays.

Have a £200-£300 budget so that rules out the top end Thules ?.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I have the Buzzrack E-Scorpion 2 on order, got it for less than £300, should arrive next week hopefully. Fits wheelbase up to 1.29m and takes 60kg

alan_sh

Aug 3, 2020
Rochdale
I've got a Thule Easyfold XT one - seems really good - and it folds up out of the way when I'm not using it.

leix_toffee

Jan 15, 2021
Ireland
I recently got a BuzzRack E Scorpion 2.
I would definitely recommend. Has the bar between the 2 bikes for holding the clamps so it make it simpler to use. It also adjusts up and down depending on where you want to clamp your bike.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
l've got the older Buzzrack and it's not great on the increased tyre sizes with modern bikes.
My Kona has 2.8" Plus tyres and they just don't fit the wheel slots on the Buzzrack.

Can anybody recommend a tow bar mounted two bike carrier that will accept larger MTB tyres?

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
l've got the older Buzzrack and it's not great on the increased tyre sizes with modern bikes.
My Kona has 2.8" Plus tyres and they just don't fit the wheel slots on the Buzzrack.

Can anybody recommend a tow bar mounted two bike carrier that will accept larger MTB tyres?

Could you deflate the tyres to fit them in the wheel slots and pump them back up at your destination?

Garry

Mar 29, 2021
Brampton, Cumbria
Could you deflate the tyres to fit them in the wheel slots and pump them back up at your destination?

The aforementioned Halfords one fits my 2.6 Schwalbes easily. It's a bit short, you need to make sure the bike is centralised.

Neverbeentomoab

Jun 17, 2019
Middlesbrough
I’ve got a buzz e-hornet 2 and it’s brilliant. Fits 2.8 tyres with ease fits long bikes, my m levo fits on with room to spare. Folds down to access the boot with bikes attached. Rock solid and easy to use. Got mine from the roof box company for well under £300. Highly recommended

leix_toffee

Jan 15, 2021
Ireland

Maybe that’s only on an older model, new one easily fits 2.8, the straps are really long as well.

kla456

Mar 8, 2020
Dundee
Well cars been ordered today so need to get a move on now. Cheers for the suggestion so far all.
I'm using Thule Velocompact 927002 with 3 e-bikes for me, wife and sprog. I paid £430 on Ebay. I had old 3-bike Thule before that which was very basic. The new one is more secure on the tow ball and bikes are quickly mounted and secure with arms and ratchet straps for the wheels. All lock with one key. The tray ends push in so the whole unit fits straight into my estate car and lives there permanently. A concern would be the fragility of plastic tray parts (already replaced one corner part), on another hand it's not heavy.

LetRippr

Apr 21, 2021
Devon
As the title says I’m about to get a new car soon with a tow bar fitted so looking for recommendations for a 2-3 tow bar mounted bike carrier.

Will be mainly used to carry a large levo most weekends but also carry normal bikes on family holidays.

Have a £200-£300 budget so that rules out the top end Thules ?.
Look for a second hand Thule Velo Compact, best rack I've ever owned. Have tried a few over the years. Takes 2.8 tyres, is super secure and bikes can be locked on. The 3 version is fine for x2 eBikes in terms of weight.

Book'emDanno!

May 2, 2020
Italy
Take a look at westfalia bikelander and bc 60. Both with 60 kilo capacity.
I have the older one BC 60 and satisfied with it. Only con is the weight of the thing.
But love the folding possibility.

Banktramp

Jul 13, 2019
West Midlands
I'm using Thule Velocompact 927002 with 3 e-bikes for me, wife and sprog. I paid £430 on Ebay. I had old 3-bike Thule before that which was very basic. The new one is more secure on the tow ball and bikes are quickly mounted and secure with arms and ratchet straps for the wheels. All lock with one key. The tray ends push in so the whole unit fits straight into my estate car and lives there permanently. A concern would be the fragility of plastic tray parts (already replaced one corner part), on another hand it's not heavy.

just had a quick look online and this ticks all the boxes, you can even buy a 4th bike adaptor which is ideal when we take the kids on holiday. ??

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles