Tyre wear

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
After getting back from a day's riding at Rogate bike park I was giving the bike a wash down and noticed my rear tyre was looking a bit worse for wear.

It's a soft compound big Betty on my new cube stereo hybrid 160. I've only ridden 300 miles total so far. I went to bike park Wales last week also but am a total beginner so not thrashing around.

Is this normal tyre wear and if so how much longer will I get out of this tyre?

IMG_20230702_174935.jpg

Every centre nobble is like this.

The side nobbles are fine as I can't corner for s***

IMG_20230702_174939.jpg

Strangely the wear is on the trailing edge of the nobble?

The front magic Mary still looks brand new.
Any advice, cheers

Last edited:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
possibly running too much tyre pressure.
That’s the first thing I thought of too.
2.6” Maxxis Assigia f/r 22-24psi on the FS Rail. (Trails only)
2.4” Maxxis Assigia f/r 24-28 on the PF’s (road and trail).

My braking system is the Magura MT7 with 220mm rotorfront, 203mm rotor rear, on the Rail.

I try to use both equally, except in certain conditions or certain terrain. Controlling the modulation, or braking pressure, of one or both takes some practice. I try not to slide or lockup with my brakes, but rather I shift my weight or geometry.

I think a zig-zag course can help(different ground materials) you get comfortable with faster turns and correct braking.

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
Possibly, I do tend to brake far more with the rear than the front. How does dragging the brake cause this wear so rapidly?
I may need to adjust my braking technique.
I did/do the same, easier to control a rear slide than a front one so I'm more rear bias. The rear tyre takes a beating when being used as an anchor and on a soft compound it'll wear the rubber down quicker especially if you're on more rocky trails.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Any advice,

Easy! Don't brake so much. Or just charge into everything like a mot%$@&^%er and understand that tires need to be replaced often. I recommend the latter.

If it makes you feel better, if I get 450 miles on a rear, I'm thrilled. I'll try to squeeze at least 400 out of a tire because I"m cheap, but sometimes the tires are looking really shabby by then.

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
Right, going to have to work on my breaking.
400 miles out of a tyre is going to get expensive!

I like how the big Betty performs, how much difference would it be going to a medium or hard compound for a bit more longevity?

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
300 miles seems about right.

If you want tires that last then get an eddy current. They are also reversible so you get 400+ and then rotate for 400 more. Nothing lasts as long.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@Hattori-Hanzo The trailing edge is what is presented to the trail when you brake. So, a ramp for the leading edge for reduced rolling resistance. But a square edge to dig in and stop you faster on the trailing edge. If you are in the habit of "precautionary" braking (ie you brake because you "think" you are going too fast, but you are not really), then you will wear out the tyres much faster. Especially if they are a soft compound.
I had the same tendency to precautionary braking when I first started mtb. What cured me was developing an annoying brake squeal on the rear. I hated it so much that for a while I stopped using my rear brake unless it was an emergency. By the time I got the squeal sorted I was cured! :)

Soft rubber on rocky trails with poor braking technique is not a good combo for long tyre life. :(

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
Cheers for the info Steve all makes sense.

My local trails are very stony, hard chalk, rocks, so this coupled with my bad braking seems to be the culprit .
I'll have to work on my technique.

I may have to try a harder compound or different tyre as well, I can't be replacing tyres every mouth o_O

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Sorry should have said I'm running around 23psi front and 26psi rear, set up tubeless.
Sometimes wonder if I'm too low on pressure?
no...............you are on 27.5.............. and the profile of the tyre in the picture looks very rounded so not surprised the centre knobs are taking a beating .On my 27.5 bike I run 2.5 Assegais ( tubeless)................On Forest trails 18f 20r.........On stony ground 20f 22 rear. The rear is a DD Maxx Grip. I just replaced it....the original lastly 800 miles.

ps..do you use a digital pressure guage? I find most floorstand pumps are pretty innaccurate....usually reading too low. I use a Joe Blow then check with a digital guage. The Joe Blow can read 5psi low compared to the digital guage.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
If you don't have a pressure gauge, consider one of these from Topeak. They are excellent and will last you many years. It is on offer from here, and free delivery too.

Topeak Smart Gauge D2 | £25.45 from Pedal On

I usually use my Joe Blow track pump to over pressurise the tyre by a few psi, then use the D2 to bleed off the pressure to the one I want. I cannot vouch for its accuracy, but it is very repeatable (most desirable). It has a range of units to suit anyone.

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
That wear is due to brake locking the rear wheel, for sure. Most probably on paved ground, maybe you’d better keep this tyre for wet weather and go with a harder compund or a different pattern with more knobs per square inch.

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland
After getting back from a day's riding at Rogate bike park I was giving the bike a wash down and noticed my rear tyre was looking a bit worse for wear.

It's a soft compound big Betty on my new cube stereo hybrid 160. I've only ridden 300 miles total so far. I went to bike park Wales last week also but am a total beginner so not thrashing around.

View attachment 119347

View attachment 119348

Any advice, cheers
Locking the wheel while braking will do that.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Depending where you live riding in winter on snow/ice is great to learn to modulate.
I was riding with a regular girl last winter, it was not our first time so i knew she could handle our most expert descent.
I asked her to follow me and we did it twice. She was not willing the second time but i explained to her how i do modulate my braking and it was a huge WOW for her, brake modulation really makes a big difference. I guess you can search that on youtube.

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali

View attachment 119347

View attachment 119348

Any advice, cheers
The wear on the trailing edge is from braking and the soft compound is naturally going to wear fast. Soft is best used on the front and a harder compound on the rear. And always try to modulate rather than skid. 😎👍🏼

Last edited:

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
beg bettys are like that, I have the harder version and ripped the side knobs right off the other day, you can see the canvas :D but your problem is that you are probably just hanging on the rear brake too much, wrecking the braking edge.. wouldnt worry too much, loads of life left in that tyre, probably got another 4 visits to BPW in it ;)

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
That's what I thought thus running on the centre of the tyre.
I run 32-36 psi, I live in Wales which is very rocky, I do as many visits to BPW as possible and my rear BB doesnt look like that.. I can go as low as 28psi but any less and I always burp the tyre.
I weigh 104kg before I get dressed.
Sorry should have said I'm running around 23psi front and 26psi rear, set up tubeless.
Sometimes wonder if I'm too low on pressure?
what do you weigh?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles