Tyre number 4

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
That’s it, I’ve had a gut full. Never ever in all my years have I had a Tyre fail at the bead.
Along comes the Spesh with 38mm rims and 2.8 Butcher.... fail. Just had my 3rd Minion fail today. 120tpi, 60tpi TR, no rim damage, no sharp edges, 25psi minimum, all on the rear, Fail.

It has to be the rim, or the rim width vs the Tyre width.
Run plenty of Tyre, rim combos over the years, and never had a fail.
I’m not the only one with this problem i’m Sure.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Could be the rim is to blaim. Are you running tubeless?
Yes tubeless.
Rims not damaged and it has no sharp edges.
I know ENVE have developed the M profile rim to stop pinching of the Tyre at the bead.

Not squishing the Tyre much at all. It failed today on a flat paved path on the way to the trail.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
Is the bead damage happening right next to he weld joint on the rim? Could be there is some movement there under load, and then it feels fine when you check it without any load. Allthough that would probably come with loss of air pressure. I've experienced faulty weldings before.

I'm running DHR ll 2.8s on i38mm rim currently, so I don't think rim widht is a problem.

Pendo

Jun 13, 2018
Australia
My mates TLD Kenevo had 3 fails in the first three rides. He has ridden the same track before for two years on his Levo with no fails.
Changed over to the 3.0 width Grid tyres (from 2.8s) and has had no problems since in the last 10 months.
I know many don't like the feel of the wider tyres but they do protect the rims more and for us, they have never failed.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Different places on the rim every time. Yesterday went near the valve stem.
Tyre pressure rating onnyhe Minion is 17-35psi.
Thought 25 would be right. Can’t even induce Tyre roll or squirm when cornering.

ChrisP

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
East Yorkshire
Different places on the rim every time. Yesterday went near the valve stem.
Tyre pressure rating onnyhe Minion is 17-35psi.
Thought 25 would be right. Can’t even induce Tyre roll or squirm when cornering.

Sounds like a rim problem to me - maybe not a fault in the rim, but a design problem. Try reducing the pressure right down below 20 psi. I ride 2.6 tyres on rear at 17/18 psi and have never had a fail. It you're on 2.8 tyres they will operate just fine around 15 psi. Worth a try!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles