Tweedlove Electric Weekend, Innerleithen, 19th 20th August 2023

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I just signed up for this event, a 2 day eMTB weekender in Tweed Valley.

The riding there is so good so looking forward to 2 days of enduro trails.

Anyone else heading there?

Screenshot 2023-07-28 at 13.09.33.png

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
I’d love to check this out but with a 3 week old baby I’m not doing much of anything, wife would probably choke me if I left her right now🤣😄 sucks because we’ve moved down to my mother-in-laws from the highlands so I’m only about 45 mins away too.

Whitby Chris

Subscriber
Jul 13, 2021
Whitby
You are not helping me Rob, I said I would never race again after coming off a couple of years ago at an event. Now after just getting a new bike I like the look of this event haha

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Solid mid pack result for me 🤣 24th out of 60 racers for the 34-49 age category. Need to work on race fitness, that is what slowed me down on the latter part of some stages. Some fast af riders up there too!

Some excellent trails some favourites: B-Line / Cresta Run / New York New York / Careless Whisper / Cadon Bank / Thunderstruck / Zorro / Ho Chi Min and will definitely come back next year.

randr-photo-11528147-5472px-by-jwdtphotography.jpg

Last edited:

Letford

Jul 21, 2019
Basford
Good going that! What did you think about riding the same trails at the end of day 2, And riders with 2 batteries in same category Rob? Me personally I think they should’ve chosen different tracks to keep every stage different, surely an extra Battery is an advantage?? Apart from those issues it was still a great event and I’d definitely go again 👍🏁

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
Fabolous weekend. Event organisers were super nice and trails were top notch (better than ArdRock imo).

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Good going that! What did you think about riding the same trails at the end of day 2, And riders with 2 batteries in same category Rob? Me personally I think they should’ve chosen different tracks to keep every stage different, surely an extra Battery is an advantage?? Apart from those issues it was still a great event and I’d definitely go again 👍🏁
It was more about the fun than the race to me, but If I was to give feedback about racing results:

- Was advertised to be blind racing.... BUT, The trail list was published a week in advance so was easy for locals to practice. A guy I know even traveled up early to get in 3 complete days of practice on the published trails that were already taped (!), so a massive advantage haha! For many that raced blind like us, we were already at a disadvantage.

- Anyone able to take 2x batteries is at an advantage, could do the entire day on Turbo so not as fatigued.

- Was a bit crap to have to repeat stages on day 2, BUT I know this wasn't their original intention, speaking to organisers they wanted to do some other trails but were not allowed.

They are totally open to this feedback by the way, so definitely send it to them, or add it here and I will forward it over.

Either way I had a great time, trails are great up there, will definitely go back.

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
It's tricky though, because any local would know every one of these trails, so it's impossible to take away this advantage.

The battery subject is tough. I did benefit from 2 x 500Wh batteries and honestly I doubt if I could have done the course on one, so I really appreciate the helping hand, and actually don't even mind if my result isn't counted. Arguably someone with a single 900Wh battery should probably be in the two battery class... but then where do you draw the line and how do you police. Same for motors, Bosch Race Mode would be a massive help out of low speed hairpins... It's interesting to note that none of the winners in any category had 2 batteries, so at the end of the day being strong and really good at biking is what counts, and the battery replacement just helps less fit riders enjoy a course they perhaps wouldn't have otherwise been able to enjoy.

I didn't mind the repetition, those trails were so good I would do them two hundred times!

As long as everyone is having fun, I think that's all that really matters for a non-serious event like this, and the organisers did a great job at looking after us, and arranging some absolutely banger trails. One minor point from me is that it was hard to find lunch on Day 1: it would be better if the map said `Lunch` rather than `Feed station`. Pass my thanks on though if you do get in touch. 👍

Cycledesign89

Jun 26, 2023
London
Digging up this old thread because i'm going this year.

If you did all the stages in logical order how long was each day? I've only got 1 630 battery and trying to decide if I should buy a second for this event.
Also, what was the event village/camping like? Is it as good vibes as the likes of ard rock or is it much more just sign on and finish then hit the pubs? I'm wondering whether I should book some accommodation slightly out of town, much cheaper options and never like camping after a muddy day.

Is the event village in Peebles or Innerleithan?

Letford

Jul 21, 2019
Basford
I did them in logical order last year it was good but could be better. On day two we rode some of the same stages as day one, I found the £165 to enter and camp a bit steep so might be cheaper staying in Innerleithen and personally I think people that use 2 batteries should've been in a different category to people using one....

Screenshot_20240207_102740_com.strava.jpg

Anyway I had one 750 wh battery and managed it buy using the lower modes to try and save trail for later in the day, ended up turning it off on the road ride from Glentress to Innerleithen to save some juice for the last stages. The event village was in the grounds at Traquair house it was quite small but understandable for the first one, I'm sure this year will be bigger. It's not like Ard Rock yet!

Last edited:

Cycledesign89

Jun 26, 2023
London
Thanks for the info. That's really helpful. I've just booked some accommodation at a hotel in Innerleithan.

Do you have to ride from Traquir to Peebles to start day 2? i.e. is the timing chip activated leaving the camp area or could you drive, leave your car there and finish in Peebles?

Sounds like a second battery would be better or I just accept I don't do all the stages. I'm not trying to be competitive to be fair, just want a good couple of days out on the bike.

Letford

Jul 21, 2019
Basford
I did them in logical order last year it was good but could be better. I found the £165 to enter and camp a bit steep so might be cheaper staying in Innerleithen and personally I think people that use 2 batteries should've be in a different category to people using one..

View attachment 134012 View attachment 134011 Anyway I had one 750 wh battery and managed it buy using the lower modes to try and save trail for later in the day, ended up turning it off on the road ride from Glentress to Innerleithen for the last stages. The event village was in the grounds at Traquair house it was quite small but understandable for the first one, I'm sure this year will be bigger. It's not like Ard Rock yet!
Thanks for the info. That's really helpful. I've just booked some accommodation at a hotel in Innerleithan.

Do you have to ride from Traquir to Peebles to start day 2? i.e. is the timing chip activated leaving the camp area or could you drive, leave your car there and finish in Peebles?

Sounds like a second battery would be better or I just accept I don't do all the stages. I'm not trying to be competitive to be fair, just want a good couple of days out on the bike.
No problem, yeah we had to ride to Peebles and back on day two. The timing chip is activated when we left Traquair House. You're given a start time option. From what I remember people were picking their additional batteries up from the food stations on route. It could well be different this year they might use different trails there's plenty to choose from 😁

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
If you want to take it (relatively) easy and enjoy yourself, get a second battery and you'll breeze it (they deliver it to your lunch spot, really efficient!) If you see it as more of an endurance event you'll get round on one but you'll have to put some effort in. Great event and killer trails.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles