Tubeless

• Thread starter Deleted member 2899
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2899

I suffered numerous punctures after buying my Trek FS4. 3 x short <3 mile rides, just to try the bike out, resulted in 6 punctures in total so I was easily persuaded to go tubeless. So far so good, I've been out again several times on trails and all is now well. It has since occurred to me however that I do not have a clue what to do if I do now get a flat. Do I simply attempt to re-inflate the tyre? Do I put an inner tube in to get me back to base? Can I use a CO2 inflator? If I put a tube in I assume I still have to check the inside of the tyre for any sharp objects? All help will be gratefully received.

I used to do some cross country style mountain biking a few years ago but the mud and the struggle getting up hills put me off as I got older and I gave up. A short test of an electric mountain bike resurrected my enthusiasm and I'm now hooked on riding at my nearest trail centre. I just can't get enough of it and even at 70 years old I'm keen to improve and ride faster. I may even consider some coaching or would this be a waste of money at my age?

Alan

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Yep, you seem to already know the basics.
With any luck small punctures should be sealed by the tyre sealant. Just keep the tyre rotating until the sealant stops bubbling out then just add a bit of air that you have lost.
If the puncture is severe and won't seal just put in an inner tube after checking for forgein objects still in the tyre, then pump up as usual with pump of co2.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Relax, I very much doubt that you will get a flat. :)

I have been tubeless for years. The key is to have some sealant in your tyres even if the tyre and rim combo does not require sealant to hold pressure. The sealant will seal pretty much any puncture. But just in case, I carry a spare tube and the means to install it and then fix the tube if that subsequently punctures: self adhesive patches, tyre levers, mini-pump, and also a tyre wall patch just in case I get a split in the tyre carcass. I know that some members on here also carry some rubber strings with weird names that they can insert into the tyre with a special tool (someone will supply the correct name).

In the 8-9 years I have been tubeless, I have had very few problems, so few that I can recall them.
  • When I was testing how low I could go on tyre pressure I burped the sealant. It wasn't really a problem because the tyre stayed on and I just used the mini pump to top up the pressure.
  • I don't stop getting punctures, I just don't get flats, but they add up! Each time, I lose a small amount of sealant and eventually the sealant runs out and the tyre will start to lose pressure more quickly than usual. When I use latex sealants, they will dry out eventually with the same result. Because I check my tyre pressure with a digital gauge before every ride I am aware of pressure loss and can top up or replace the sealant.
  • Continental had a batch problem with their 27.5 x 2.2" Trail Kings with the black chilli compound. This resulted in the tyre wall splitting at the bead in the same angular position relative to the logo. This was a split big enough to get your hand through and was unrecoverable. That happened to me on one tyre and then its replacement, but not since.
And that's it!

To be completely open, that experience is based upon clockwork bikes not emtbs, which I have only had since Jan. Yes, I know the emtb is 7kg heavier, but as along as I continue to maintain sensible tyre pressures, I should continue to be OK.

To answer the specific questions. Yes, check the tyre wall before using a tube. Check that the sealant you want to use is compatible with CO2 canisters.
Tip: Take some paper kitchen towels in your back pack, fitting a tube into a tyre containing sealant can be a messy business (and it dries sticky).

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Weldtite Tubeless Tyre Repair Kit | Merlin Cycles

Unless its an extremely large whole or a sidewall rip then the sealant stops all the air coming out so you can usually fix it with some pressure left in the tyre without taking the wheel off the bike and so it takes less air to get it back up to the proper pressure.

My experience with tubless put me off for life. Fitting of them with sealant etc the lad took two hours to get seal on one of the wheels which was the same tyre as the other wheel and using a compressor he had done this many times before without any problems. I went up Anoch Mor on gondola decided I would like a bit more puff in tyres. Unknown to me pump was fucked so tyre would not pump up so decided to put tube in . I could not get tyre to break off rim the sealant had turned to glue had to get help to get tyre off .long story short got gondola back.down with bike. Manage fine with tubes.

ebike_junkie

Mar 30, 2019
San Clemente, California
I carried a spare tube for ages when I went to tubeless but have since stopped. The tubeless system has been so reliable, the only hiccups I've experienced is the tire burping from either cornering too hard with not enough air pressure or casing a jump. Easy fix though, just pump the tire up :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles