Tubeless

BBear

May 18, 2019
Bristol
I’ve run tubeless tyres for several years now but they’ve always been fitted by my LBS. I want to have a go at doing it myself and my only concern is getting them inflated quickly enough to seat the bead. Can I use a gas canister, or is there something in the gas which won’t allow the sealant to work?

Thanks

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
This has been discussed loads of times. In brief, you can use a CO2 canister but STAN'S advises letting all the CO2 out and replacing with air (less than 1% CO2, I believe). Hot tip is to seat the tyre using a tube, pop one side, replace tube with valve and carry on. STAN'S is latex by the way so other sealants may not be affected.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
You can often seat a tubeless tyre just with a decent track pump. Assuming the tape and tubeless valve are already in place put the tyre on the rim keeping both beads in the well (deepest part) of the rim. Now use a tyre lever to pull the bead on one side out onto the shelf (outer section) of the rim...go as far as you can and do the same on the other side of the tyre... A few manic pumps should then pop the remaining sections of bead. Add sealant through the valve stem.

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
The reason you need to replace the CO2 with "normal air" is that tyres are permiable for CO2. It's a bit like having a very slow puncture.

(I regularly use CO2 canisters to seat my tyres when my air can doesn't give enough oomph).

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Or try the coke bottle DIY inflator hack.

That reminds me of the olden days when riding in the desert. My "inflator" was an old Freon bottle. Refrigerant still comes in the same style bottles, and the bursting pressure is a little higher than a plastic soda bottle. But for doing work at home, I use a real compressor with a real tank. Even the Chinese ones are not too expensive. Or you can buy a good one and use it for the next forty years.

IMG_3341.jpeg

DJ57UMP

Mar 13, 2021
England
I’m a dopey so and so, just remembered I bought a track pump with an airstore couple of years ago and put it away and never used it as I like my normal track pump. I’ll use that.

Sorry for wasting everyone’s time…..

Outstanding lol

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
I’m a dopey so and so, just remembered I bought a track pump with an airstore couple of years ago and put it away and never used it as I like my normal track pump. I’ll use that.

Sorry for wasting everyone’s time…..
Don't think you have. Sometimes my Blast, same thing, isn't enough so I like to have a few more tools in the box. But there way, of you're using latex sealant, like STAN'S, STAN'S DART is great for fixing flats.

franciscoasismm

May 31, 2021
Badajoz
Monte unos Specialized Eliminator 29*2,6" en mi Canyon Neuron ON con esta bomba y sin cámara, llevo 6000 km sin pinchar.
Los 508 CC de bombeo te permiten asentar el neumático en la llanta.

La bomba Air Tool MTB de Specialized está diseñada para inflar neumáticos de alto volumen. Es una bomba muy precisa y fácil de utilizar, ideal para asegurar que sus neumáticos estén preparados para lo que puedas encontrar en el camino.

Caracteristicas
  • Manómetro con Ø 76 mm y rango de 0-40 PSI.
  • Cuerpo de aluminio.
  • Mango ergonómico 'Wing'.
  • Tecnología Switch Hitter II auto-seleccionable.
  • Incluye una junta de goma de repuesto para el cabezal.
  • Presión máxima: 75 PSI (5,2 bar).
  • Volumen de aire bombeado: 508 cc.

maker

Feb 13, 2020
North Wales
Last few times I simply removed valve core, sprayed tyre and rims with dilute detergent and pumped like mad with an ordinary foot pump. Tyre rims popped on then I remove pump so deflates, add gunk then valve core and reflate. Removing valve core on first inflation is key with detergent. Surprised myself how well this has worked.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Last few times I simply removed valve core, sprayed tyre and rims with dilute detergent and pumped like mad with an ordinary foot pump. Tyre rims popped on then I remove pump so deflates, add gunk then valve core and reflate. Removing valve core on first inflation is key with detergent. Surprised myself how well this has worked.

OK, having successful installed many tubeless tyres, I’ve just wasted an hour of my life trying to seat a tyre onto a rim

Instead of losing my temper and kicking something, I calmly searched this forum for ideas. Found Maker’s suggestion

Squirted some washing up liquid into the rim and swished all round the tyre and rim bead with my finger, removed the valve core, used my blaster set to 100 psi and heh presto seated instantly with the satisfying pops

Just writing this in case anyone else has a similar issue in the future and searches on here for answers

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
When I first went tubeless, I kept seeing advice to use soapy water to help the tyres on. I never read HOW it helped the tyre on, so I assumed it was to help block up the air gaps between the tyre and the rim. It never did that for me, so I stopped using it (messy). It was only many years later that I realised WHY it was used - to lubricate the tyre bead and to allow it to slide over the wheel and pop into place on the rim.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
When I first went tubeless, I kept seeing advice to use soapy water to help the tyres on. I never read HOW it helped the tyre on, so I assumed it was to help block up the air gaps between the tyre and the rim. It never did that for me, so I stopped using it (messy). It was only many years later that I realised WHY it was used - to lubricate the tyre bead and to allow it to slide over the wheel and pop into place on the rim.

Thought that was fairly obvious Steve 😀

It was indeed messy, I just used neat washing up liquid. Had some nice bubbles blowing around my garage once I popped the tyre onto the bead though 🫧🫧

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Thought that was fairly obvious Steve 😀
--------------------
Yep, I felt a bit silly when I realised, a proper "DOH!" moment. But it was one of those things where once I had decided what the reason was, I never questioned that decision again. The blinding realisation came when I was struggling with a tyre and I thought to myself that what I needed was some sort of lubricant to help the tyre bead move across the rim........:unsure:

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
I used to race 100cc go karts a long time ago. You needed washing up liquid and a pretty good technique to get these little beasties on:
1653391866361.png

I've never had problems with any bike tyre!
p.s. I've always been tall, even before I added a few kilos, and didn't have much talent, so I was uncompetitive, but it was still bloody good fun.

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
I wasted waaaay too much time worrying about this before doing my first tubeless setup. Nearly bought one of those airshot can things, or one of the track pumps with a canister on for £££'s

Try it first - I've now done Schwalbe Eddy Currents, Hans Dampfs and Maxxis DHR/Assegai all using just my track pump. They all popped onto the bead easily.
The only thing I do - like others have said - is just get a spray bottle and quickly spray with soapy water around the tyre walls before pumping up - helps them slip up into the bead. Like the lube they use on car tyres :)