Tubeless ready E bike optimized

Plodder Bob

Apr 4, 2022
Cheshire UK
Hi very recently bought a 2021 Trance EX 2 pro model . Had a couple of rides out on light trails but thought it might be a good idea to go tubeless whilst everything is still relatively clean . Giant claim the bike is tubeless ready , indeed both the rims and the sidewall of the tyre state that is the case . The bike also came with 2 tubes of Giant sealant , 2 tyre levers , a valve removal tool . It does not appear to have tubeless valves or rim tape included ? I suspect the rims may already have a coating applied during manufacture it’s a light brown tape semi transparent and hard to the touch ? Can anyone confirm it it’s just the tubeless presta valves I’m missing or if there’s anything else I need ? This is going to be my first attempt at going tubeless and I hope to get it right first time . I have removed the wheels from the bike and taken the tyres and innertubes off the rims in eager anticipation of the muc off valves arriving on Thursday hopefully . I have a compressor with presta adapter and a syringe to inject the sealant in through the valve body . I have also ordered a plug kit but is there anything else I need or any top tips to consider ? Cheers for any info / advice

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Hi very recently bought a 2021 Trance EX 2 pro model . Had a couple of rides out on light trails but thought it might be a good idea to go tubeless whilst everything is still relatively clean . Giant claim the bike is tubeless ready , indeed both the rims and the sidewall of the tyre state that is the case . The bike also came with 2 tubes of Giant sealant , 2 tyre levers , a valve removal tool . It does not appear to have tubeless valves or rim tape included ? I suspect the rims may already have a coating applied during manufacture it’s a light brown tape semi transparent and hard to the touch ? Can anyone confirm it it’s just the tubeless presta valves I’m missing or if there’s anything else I need ? This is going to be my first attempt at going tubeless and I hope to get it right first time . I have removed the wheels from the bike and taken the tyres and innertubes off the rims in eager anticipation of the muc off valves arriving on Thursday hopefully . I have a compressor with presta adapter and a syringe to inject the sealant in through the valve body . I have also ordered a plug kit but is there anything else I need or any top tips to consider ? Cheers for any info / advice

You should consider that syringes are becoming useless with new sealants. New sealants like Stan's (bought in 2021) will clog any kind of syringe. So as much as I loved to fill the tires through the valves (without the valve core) it doesn't work anymore. At least not with all sealants. My Giant Reign e+ was just like yours tubeless ready. Just the valves where missing. Tape was there. 10 minutes work to make it tubeless.

Plodder Bob

Apr 4, 2022
Cheshire UK
I believe the Giant sealant is actually made by Stans and that Stans have 2 grade’s of sealant one of which is thicker than the other . I guess the thicker it is the more likely to seal any leaks ? Hopefully the syringe will work ok with the giant sealant . I bet it takes me longer than 10 mins but I’m in no rush I quite like a challenge !

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I believe the Giant sealant is actually made by Stans and that Stans have 2 grade’s of sealant one of which is thicker than the other .

Stan's does indeed make two different flavors of sealant. They make the original recipe, which flows through a syringe just as always. The new "race" sealant contains big particles that will clog a syringe and the valve body. The particles are hard and crunchy, reminding me of vermiculite. The original Stan's has always worked well for me, but I tried the "race" type out of curiosity. It was a pain the arse to use, and I was glad when it was gone.

Plodder Bob

Apr 4, 2022
Cheshire UK
Stan's does indeed make two different flavors of sealant. They make the original recipe, which flows through a syringe just as always. The new "race" sealant contains big particles that will clog a syringe and the valve body. The particles are hard and crunchy, reminding me of vermiculite. The original Stan's has always worked well for me, but I tried the "race" type out of curiosity. It was a pain the arse to use, and I was glad when it was gone.
Thanks for the info i knew id read about Stans having 2 types . The original Giant sealant looks quite fluid so hopefully syringe should work ok for me . Cheers !

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
My 2021 Stance came tubeless ready as well. I got the LBS to do the tubeless conversion. I believe they retaped the rim and replaced the valves.
I bought a box of Stan's 2oz bottles and use those for adding sealant.
Let the pressure out, remove core, put wheel valve at 5 or 7 o'clock, snip the tip of the bottle and apply as needed.

Plodder Bob

Apr 4, 2022
Cheshire UK
My understanding is the rims are ready no need for extra tape to be applied ?

5878AFF1-C0C3-498F-8795-BF01094AD19B.jpeg

1DF9DC21-8D2E-4FF2-BA96-DF10A744FDF6.jpeg

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
What's the hole like where the valve fits?

On my rims I used a 20mm square of inner tube rubber to push the presta valves through to increase the seal size.

Also after you've put the sealant in and pumped the tyres up again give them a good twist, like you're driving with the biggest steering wheel in the world, flip and repeat to ensure the sealant is spread all around the interior.

Last edited:

Plodder Bob

Apr 4, 2022
Cheshire UK
What's the hole like where the valve fits?

On my rims I used a 20mm square of inner tube rubber to push the presta valves through to increase the seal size.

Also after you've put the sealant in and pumped the tyres up again give them a good twist, like you're driving with the biggest steering wheel in the world, flip and repeat to ensure the sealant is spread all around the interior.
thanks for the reply , I’ve ordered the muc-off valves that appear to have a decent size seal on the bottom will see what they look like when fitted to rim but I do rather like the idea of a piece of inner tube or even maybe a large inner tube patch to help the seal around the presta valve . Cheers for the idea 👍

Plodder Bob

Apr 4, 2022
Cheshire UK
Job done no need for rim tape or patch under the valve . The muc off valves have a choice of 3 different base seals one of which fits the rim perfectly. Giant sealant went into the valve straight from the bottle no need to use syringe . Used the tips provided in this thread so thanks all . It was pretty straightforward only mistake I made was getting the tyre rotation wrong on both wheels luckily I spotted this before putting sealant in ! 😂

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
Job done no need for rim tape or patch under the valve . The muc off valves have a choice of 3 different base seals one of which fits the rim perfectly. Giant sealant went into the valve straight from the bottle no need to use syringe . Used the tips provided in this thread so thanks all . It was pretty straightforward only mistake I made was getting the tyre rotation wrong on both wheels luckily I spotted this before putting sealant in ! 😂

If you wash out the little bottles of sealant that came with the bike you can use them for top-ups, if you decant fluid from a big bottle into them their nozzles are just the right size to squirt the fluid into the valve stems.
Big bottles of Stans sealant are much cheaper than the small bottles, and the one I opened two years ago is still fluid and good to use.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles