Tubeless PSI

Stan’s Dad

Jun 1, 2020
West Sussex
Just fitted a tubeless kit and wondering what PSI people are running. It’s been so dry (South UK) recently the trail surface is covered in stones and gravell marbles, but the rain is coming. I’d like to know how low or high you run your tyres. Thanks for your time in advance.

Last edited:

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
How long is a piece of string - this thread may give you some pointers or not... :unsure: :D

Maybe give us some details - your weight, tyres, riding style?

Stan’s Dad

Jun 1, 2020
West Sussex
I had a quick scan and ??. If I’m ok to put somewhere between 14 and 20 psi in them I’m good with that. I ride a mullet and the rear is wider than the front so I’ll gauge it as I go. Appreciate the pointer to the post, as you point out there’s lots of views out there. .

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I had a quick scan and ??. If I’m ok to put somewhere between 14 and 20 psi in them I’m good with that. I ride a mullet and the rear is wider than the front so I’ll gauge it as I go. Appreciate the pointer to the post, as you point out there’s lots of views out there. .
Look to jackware's post! I run 23 rear (27.5 x 2.6 dhrII exo) 16 front (29x2.5 assegai exo). I'm about 80kg, not a hard rider, very steep country, lots of sharp rock.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
This links to PinkBike's Tech Tuesday series of articles. This one is on finding your tyre pressure sweet spot. It was a revelation when I first came across it. Great viewpoints expressed.

Read the words, watch the video (take into account this was made before ebikes and mid fat tyres were a thing).

I have 29x2.5 Maxxis HRII tyres and I have 17 front and 20 rear. I weigh 92kg in my riding kit.

Last edited:

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
This links to PinkBike's Tech Tuesday series of articles. This one is on finding your tyre pressure sweet spot. It was a revelation when I first came across it. Great viewpoints expressed.

Read the words, watch the video (take into account this was made before ebikes and mid fat tyres were a thing).

Just don't go down the rabbit hole of reading the comments section :ROFLMAO:

Stan’s Dad

Jun 1, 2020
West Sussex
Just don't go down the rabbit hole of reading the comments section :ROFLMAO:
I glanced....what is seen cannot be unseen ! To be honest I got half way down the article and learnt what pressure is and imagined my self on a skate board ! I started thinking pump em up give a squeeze ........ I’m happy with a thereabouts mid teen early twenty choice and can play about from there. I never meant to become too technical, I’ve learnt so far that when I fall off it’s down to operator error plain and simple. I do appreciate the reply though.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania

I have 29x2.5 Maxxis HRII tyres and I have 17 front and 20 rear. I weigh 92kg in my riding kit.
Are you running double downs or dh? I have just exo, when I went to tubeless I had to add pressure. They didn't have the damping of the tubes anymore. I run 2.6 on the rear, and can't get them in dd, which is what I'd like. I almost went back to tubes, but I'm giving it more time.

Stan’s Dad

Jun 1, 2020
West Sussex
Are you running double downs or dh? I have just exo, when I went to tubeless I had to add pressure. They didn't have the damping of the tubes anymore. I run 2.6 on the rear, and can't get them in dd, which is what I'd like. I almost went back to tubes, but I'm giving it more time.
I’m unsure what your referring to but these are the tyres

702647C2-49A3-4C9A-B736-8F85F14B033A.jpeg

3C56CA32-2F47-4D8E-91E0-A6FA3ECDE784.jpeg

72E3AEE1-2C61-4AC5-BA60-30FAA160C74B.jpeg

2F61BEEF-0DDF-48B5-87EF-0BBCA647E558.jpeg

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I’ll get my coat ?
So, I see your tyres though. Your weight is an unknown. I have the same front and I'm running 16psi, but...I still have a tube in the front. After my experience with the rear tyre I might start out at 18psi for the front once I remove the tube and see how that goes. I'm surprised that 16 is enough. The last 800m return home is on very steep sealed road - a steep drop where I clock over 80km/h! There are a couple of near right angle turns; I always watch the front tyre where it contacts the road while I'm leaned over in the corner; I'm always expecting to see it fold. It holds it's shape!

Last edited:

Stan’s Dad

Jun 1, 2020
West Sussex
So, I see your tyres though. Your weight is an unknown. I have the same front and I'm running 16psi, but...I still have a tube in the front. After my experience with the rear tyre I might start out at 18psi for the front once I remove the tube and see how that goes. I'm surprised that 16 is enough. The last 800m return home is on very steep sealed road - a steep drop where I clock over 80km/h! There are a couple of near right angle turns; I always watch the front tyre where it contacts the road while I'm leaned over in the corner. It holds it's shape!
I’m a dropping 89 kilos. A couple of years ago I was racing Enduro and for most forest events most would have 11 to 14 psi in the rear. They were much heavier tyres but speeds and landings etc were greater to. But I agree with you it’s surprising how low these tyres can be run. I’m going at 20 in the rear and 16 in the front right now and it feels fine on the hard ground right now. You might spot me sitting in the verge on those bends near your place, spectator only though !

Nichneven

Mar 9, 2020
Scotland
It was really dry the other day and had a great time on my e-sommet running 26 front and 28 rear with dual assegai DD MG. Would not run those pressures in wet/very steep lines but as more all round in the hills I was surprised at the amount of grip the sommet has with them. Like seems to be my sweetspot with the assegai all-round.

We have an e-escarpe too with the assegai out front and DHR out back. If anymore than 26 psi in the DHR I am all over the place and no confidence if its loose. Maybe max terra a little hard.

95KG carcass

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
25 front, 28 rear, Mich Wild Enduro gum-X 29ers tubeless, Levo Expert

25 front, 27 rear, Schwalbe Magic Mary Front DH/Nobby Nic rear, Yeti SB6C

83kg rider, same pressures all year round, I ride Enduro + Downhill mostly

Slightly more, I find I'm loosing a load of grip both straight (gravel type situation) and non-bermed corners...
Slightly less, I find they squirm and tyre moves around too much for my liking...

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK

Nope, they are 29x2.5 Maxxis High Roller II 3C WT Maxx Terra EXO TR, weight 1016gm

I am not jumping onto jagged rocks or anything. They feel OK to me; I haven't felt any rim dings (17psiF, 20psiR), and no squirming on corners either. When I use a new type of tyre for the first time I set aside time to to establish a tyre pressure I'm comfortable with. I have had the instance where removal of the tube meant that I had to add pressure to get more support, but I have never used these tyres with tubes, just went straight to tubeless. I started 5 psi higher and went down from there. I tried lower but it didn't feel right.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia

Maybe you should consider inserts instead of tubes?

Gordon

p.s. I run a DHR 2.6 (23psi) rear and DHF 2.5 front 918 psi) with normal EXO. After experimenting this is my happy place. I'm 96kg geared up.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Mine depend where I’m riding.
In the lockdown days where I’m leaving from my house, I know I’m riding a lot more roads / paths / fire track type roads, so I put a bit more air in them. Maybe 21psi F and 25psi R.

If I’m straight to the trails, with more aggressive riding I’d probably go 18psi F and about 22 R.
I haven’t had my latest Wild Enduro’s straight to the trails, so still need to figure out how I like them... but I’ll probably start with the same as my previous DHF / DHRII pressures.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles