Fuel EXe TREK's new lightweight trail ebike

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I can't see that happening, if users have the ability to swap the motor settings between 27.5 and 29 wheels its going to be extremely easy for people to set the bike to 27 and gain extra assist speed from using a 29 wheel. granted it will only be a small gain but its still above the legal limit and will undoubtedly result in law suits and claims againt trek, especially over in the land of the free.

I guess it'd be a bike shop software change rather than a user one for wheel size and circumference.

Gordon

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Apparently dealers will be able to change the wheel size in the software in the future if you mullet the bike, just not available yet on the software

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
I can't see that happening, if users have the ability to swap the motor settings between 27.5 and 29 wheels its going to be extremely easy for people to set the bike to 27 and gain extra assist speed from using a 29 wheel. granted it will only be a small gain but its still above the legal limit and will undoubtedly result in law suits and claims againt trek, especially over in the land of the free.

this happened for years with Spez Levos, from launch in 2017 till recently. the gain is tiny.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Slightly off topic but still following the recent converstion. I have mulleted my bike & thought the displayed speed was incorrect however when another bike was alongside, their displayed speed was within the same km/h.
According to my (bad) google fu there is a difference of 100mm in circumference 2281mm vs 2181mm which is a 4.6 % difference between actual speed & displayed speed.
That sound right?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
You need to factor in tire sizes and pressures - the rolling diameter of a 27.5 and 29 can be very close spending on tire choices

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
I can't see that happening, if users have the ability to swap the motor settings between 27.5 and 29 wheels its going to be extremely easy for people to set the bike to 27 and gain extra assist speed from using a 29 wheel.

FWIW on the Kiox 300 (smart system) I believe the user can change tyre circumference and size themselves

GolfMaster52

Oct 19, 2020
Bentonville, Arkansas
Any info with regards the two bikes, I'm tempted by the orbea but wont to hold out for the new trek , i guess your busy trying to swap out the drive train ;)
Sorry, I haven't had a chance to ride it except about a mile to the LBS. All I can really determine is that it is as quiet as everyone says it is. I was hoping they would have it finished by the time I got back home, but the AXS dropper is 31.6 and the EXe needs a 34.9, so they had to order a shim. I am on the list to get one of the first allocated to the store. So, I definitely want to hit the trails on hers before it gets here. I love how I have my Rise set up, so it's going to have to be pretty spectacular for me to end up buying it. What has me really interested in the EXe is it's geometry and according to Rob's @Rob Rides EMTB video possibly better suited for enduro riding. Maybe Rob could do a drop, jump and timed runs video comparing them, if he still has both bikes. But.... He's probably busy testing the Orbea Rise 2nd gen. 😁

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
What has me really interested in the EXe is it's geometry and according to Rob's @Rob Rides EMTB video possibly better suited for enduro riding.

140 /150 travel sounds very trail focused to me, but yeah, I'm also interested in @Rob Rides EMTB thoughts on how 'enduro' this bike feels. The front travel can be upped to 160 on the front, but 140 at the rear sounds a little low compared to an average 'Enduro' bike.

Trek EXe is 140/150(160) and 65(65.5) ht angle

Other 'trail' ebike geo's are.......

The Levo FSR is 150/160 and 64.5 deg ht angle

Levo SL is 150/150 and 66 deg ht angle

The Orbea Rise is 140/140 and 66 ht angle

I've ridden the Levo FSR and Levo SL and the FSR is much more 'enduro' than the SL

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
140 /150 travel sounds very trail focused to me, but yeah, I'm also interested in @Rob Rides EMTB thoughts on how 'enduro' this bike feels. The front travel can be upped to 160 on the front, but 140 at the rear sounds a little low compared to an average 'Enduro' bike.

Trek EXe is 140/150(160) and 65(65.5) ht angle

Other 'trail' ebike geo's are.......

The Levo FSR is 150/160 and 64.5 deg ht angle

Levo SL is 150/150 and 66 deg ht angle

The Orbea Rise is 140/140 and 66 ht angle

I've ridden the Levo FSR and Levo SL and the FSR is much more 'enduro' than the SL

SL is pure trail bike, nothing enduro about it. even though it has 150 travel at the back. I have a SL and a SB140, even though the SB140 only has 140mm at the back vs the SL 150mm, its waaaay more capable, on DH only trails, i can consistently beat the SL on my Yeti

Honestly the geo on the SL is terrible, which is why i have a deposit on the EXE, which has almost mirror image geo to my SB140, HTA,Reach, ETT etc

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I agree. I listed geo's for Trail bikes to compare to the EXe, which I consider a trail bike from it's spec.
So interested to hear Rob's thoughts, he rides so many bikes, his opinion is probably the most experience based........

b45her

Dec 1, 2019
wales
Uhh...that's very interesting.
Allready a 2. generation....really.

Carbon and the new alloy version are not compatible....so it must be a 3. version :)
more along the lines of standardising the chargers/range extenders, lets just say the goalposts are going to be moving a bit in a few months.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Sorry, I haven't had a chance to ride it except about a mile to the LBS. All I can really determine is that it is as quiet as everyone says it is. I was hoping they would have it finished by the time I got back home, but the AXS dropper is 31.6 and the EXe needs a 34.9, so they had to order a shim. I am on the list to get one of the first allocated to the store. So, I definitely want to hit the trails on hers before it gets here. I love how I have my Rise set up, so it's going to have to be pretty spectacular for me to end up buying it. What has me really interested in the EXe is it's geometry and according to Rob's @Rob Rides EMTB video possibly better suited for enduro riding. Maybe Rob could do a drop, jump and timed runs video comparing them, if he still has both bikes. But.... He's probably busy testing the Orbea Rise 2nd gen. 😁
More suited than the SL, but its still a (very decent) trail bike, with a 35mm Fork, 150/140 out of the box..

That said with a 160 air shaft in the fork on its getting close to a 64 degree head angle (mine measured slacker than published figures out of the box on both my angle measurement devices).. And a longer stroke rear shock, you'l have a 160/150 64 degree 18.5KG full 29er ebike, which should run pretty capable...

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
More suited than the SL, but its still a (very decent) trail bike, with a 35mm Fork, 150/140 out of the box..

That said with a 160 air shaft in the fork on its getting close to a 64 degree head angle (mine measured slacker than published figures out of the box on both my angle measurement devices).. And a longer stroke rear shock, you'l have a 160/150 64 degree 18.5KG full 29er ebike, which should run pretty capable...

Does it take longer stroke easily? Will Trek Warranty a longer stroke?
I would want to Mullet the Trek.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
is there really a premium on the Baja Yellow for the 9.8XT? the specs are identical

2022-08-01_13-35-35.jpg

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Can't mate sorry, still under embargo and the guys at orbea frequent these pages.
So why say anything? This isn't the first time you've teased the membership with vague comments about new bikes and then refused to enlighten them. It smacks of the big I am to be honest.

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
Can't mate sorry, still under embargo and the guys at orbea frequent these pages.

Bugger, I've decided on the rise m10 but looking around on the web a lot have been discounted to just below 7k, most have now sold out so there could be a new model on the way hence discounts.
That being said there's still a few in stock at the full 7.5k but who wonts an out of date bike at full price ;)

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
Bugger, I've decided on the rise m10 but looking around on the web a lot have been discounted to just below 7k, most have now sold out so there could be a new model on the way hence discounts.
That being said there's still a few in stock at the full 7.5k but who wonts an out of date bike at full price ;)
The current Rise will not be considered outdated just because a more enduro type of Orbea is coming out. Let's say 170/160. Two different bikes for different types of riding.

b45her

Dec 1, 2019
wales
what size M10 are you looking for?

b45her

Dec 1, 2019
wales
you arent going to be seeing any new models for quite a while. at least not out in the real world.

Last edited:

Trail Blazer

Jun 13, 2021
Sweden
Even if this of topic Rise discussion. Yes it would make sense for a e-Rallon because it's would be a mid-fat one. Ibis is just releasing a Bosch version of either Ripley or Ripmo very soon too....

Im riding Levo Gen 3 but want a more nimble one for All-mountain. I also ride a M10 for XC trail and are considering a Fuel Exe...

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
FLOW MTB give a good review of the EXe. Range looks very impressive.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles