Rail (625Wh) Trek Warranty

Dec 6, 2020
Queen Creek , Arizona
Hi guys. So I am having a hard time with warranty on my rail 7. I just noticed few weeks ago difference in gap on the knock block. After taking it to Trek dealer in Arkansas they took it apart and found the steer tube is bent. I never crashed the bike or dropped it. SRAM won’t cover the fork and Trek blaming SRAM.

I ended up buying a Fox 38 fork and there still is a gap difference. I advised the bike shop about the gap after buying a new fork obviously something is not rite with the frame. I was told I would get a response back after submitting new photos. It’s been 4 days with no calls or emails. To me Trek warranty is trash.here if the video on the defect.

IMG_1167.jpeg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I wonder if the pocket for the upper head bearing is now compromised, or maybe it was milled incorrectly?

It’s my understanding that Trek warranties their frames for life (unless there’s abuse). I think photos sent to Trek should help.

Dec 6, 2020
Queen Creek , Arizona
I wonder if the pocket for the upper head bearing is now compromised, or maybe it was milled incorrectly?

It’s my understanding that Trek warranties their frames for life (unless there’s abuse). I think photos sent to Trek should help.
I have no idea what’s going on but the bike has no exterior damage so Trek can’t say I abused the bike. Rite now I am really frustrated with Trek and them not doing what’s rite.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
almost certainly the upper headset bearing seat has either worn or was always not aligned. The question is one of chicken and egg.............was the fork steerer bent from the outset and it deformed the bearing seat? Or was the bearing seat not aligned and it eventually bent the fork steerer tube? I would go with the latter. Either way Trek should fork out ( sic) for a new fork and new frame.

Dec 6, 2020
Queen Creek , Arizona
almost certainly the upper headset bearing seat has either worn or was always not aligned. The question is one of chicken and egg.............was the fork steerer bent from the outset and it deformed the bearing seat? Or was the bearing seat not aligned and it eventually bent the fork steerer tube? I would go with the latter. Either way Trek should fork out ( sic) for a new fork and new frame.
I agree with you, especially after installing a brand new upper headset. Trek still hasn’t responded to the bike shop even after giving them more photos with new fork and headset. I don’t know about everyone else but Trek warranty is trash.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Maybe reserve judgement until your claim has had chance to be processed. The shop can do nothing until Trek authorise it and it is no doubt not the only claim the warranty team have on their workload.

Dec 6, 2020
Queen Creek , Arizona
Maybe reserve judgement until your claim has had chance to be processed. The shop can do nothing until Trek authorise it and it is no doubt not the only claim the warranty team have on their workload.
Well last week they denied the claim and blaimed SRAM, and after new pics were submitted they ignoring the bike shop about status etc. So actually I can judge Trek on how they treat customers.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
It looks like you can see the headset top bearing from the pictures
The bearing should sit flush you should not be able to see it
Have you removed the bearing and checked the seating and can you measure the seating with a Vernier to the top of the headset and see if the seating has been pressed in and bonded straight in the headset as from memory the headset bearing seats are bonded (maybe the bonding has started giving up)
Just throwing some ideas out there just looked at mine and its flush with the top you can not see the bearing .

Dec 6, 2020
Queen Creek , Arizona
It looks like you can see the headset top bearing from the pictures
The bearing should sit flush you should not be able to see it
Have you removed the bearing and checked the seating and can you measure the seating with a Vernier to the top of the headset and see if the seating has been pressed in and bonded straight in the headset as from memory the headset bearing seats are bonded (maybe the bonding has started giving up)
Just throwing some ideas out there just looked at mine and its flush with the top you can not see the bearing .
Thanks for the info! The new Trek store just opened 7 days ago here in Arkansas. I took it there and they giving me a new frame, they put a level on it and did some measurements.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Thanks for the info! The new Trek store just opened 7 days ago here in Arkansas. I took it there and they giving me a new frame, they put a level on it and did some measurements.
That’s good to hear.
Maybe not related but a while ago I replaced the upper/lower bearings on my headset. The spider nut seemed ok. After I aligned the forks and torqued the stem bolt to 4nm, I went for a ride.

Once I hit the trails I noticed that something was wrong. Back home I went.

It’s possible that I had not seated the forks correctly or the spider nut had slipped. I re-seated the fork and re-torqued the stem bolt.

Edit; Star nut I mean.

Dec 6, 2020
Queen Creek , Arizona
That’s good to hear.
Maybe not related but a while ago I replaced the upper/lower bearings on my headset. The spider nut seemed ok. After I aligned the forks and torqued the stem bolt to 4nm, I went for a ride.

Once I hit the trails I noticed that something was wrong. Back home I went.

It’s possible that I had not seated the forks correctly or the spider nut had slipped. I re-seated the fork and re-torqued the stem bolt.
I actually experienced the same issue with my Specialized Levo.

novaboy6

Jul 16, 2023
Scotland
There is a guy on YouTube with the same problem, turns out the headset was welded in wrong. He had to take it to a different trek dealer and got a warranty credit

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles