Rail (750Wh) Trek Rail, rattle in pedals?

Saylin

May 18, 2023
Arkansas
Hello all,

While I've seen (and read) dozens of posts about "rattle" in the Bosch motor no one as ever mentioned being able to feel it in the pedals.
When riding it sounds pretty similar to the rattle I've seen in videos but I wasn't aware when purchasing that it also could be felt in the pedals. Is this normal in your experience?

Last edited:

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
You shouldn't be able to feel any rattle in the pedals .Check the spider nut thing is still tight.
it constantly coming loose is a known issue on rails.

You might want to check how tight the cranks are as well, with new bikes you should be checking them pretty much every ride to see if they are coming loose or not.
then after a few hundred miles if they are fine you can stop worrying about a crank falling off midride.

The only thing I feel in the pedals on my Bosch bike is when I rock both cranks backwords and forwards like a stuck hand on a clock.
it's a light clunk as the cranks engage/disengage, but I don't feel it when pedalling normally or when stopping pedalling.

maybe you rotate the cranks backwords slightly when you stop pedalling though?

You might want to check the torque on all the bolts that attach the motor to the frame too.
or if you don't have a torque wrench get your LBS to check the cranks and motor bolts. if the spider nut is loose you will be able to twist it by hand and the chainring will be wobbly if you try to move it.

Last edited:

Saylin

May 18, 2023
Arkansas
Thanks for the input everyone.

All bolts were torqued when I built the bike up.

Chainring is tight, as are pedals.

I’ll check torque on motor bolts. Wondering if it could be battery movement?

Saylin

May 18, 2023
Arkansas
I think I might have found it. The battery has a little side to side movement while mounted inside the bike. Battery movement could definitely be what I feel

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
I think I might have found it. The battery has a little side to side movement while mounted inside the bike. Battery movement could definitely be what I feel
Search on this forum there are a few threads regarding battery rattle on the 750 frames. The trek setup is quite precise. I was lucky in that my LBS sells heaps of Rails and the mechanics had it setup sweet. Never had a rattle or issues.

Saylin

May 18, 2023
Arkansas
Whelp, I found the source.

Broken frame. Mounting bolts at the top of the battery. Here’s to hoping the warranty process is smooth

Reactions: Ark

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Whelp, I found the source.

Broken frame. Mounting bolts at the top of the battery. Here’s to hoping the warranty process is smooth
Care to post a pic so others can check the area on their bikes?

Trek have lifetime frame warranty and some of the best service in the business, so you'll be sweet

Saylin

May 18, 2023
Arkansas
I’ll post pictures once I get a response from trek

It’s those 2 bolts that you can see on the downtube right behind the fork. I guess there is a bracket that is epoxied in place. Sometimes the glue fails

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles