Trek Rail 7 vs Rail 9...and Rail 5

AmPer

Dec 21, 2020
Göteborg
Good points! I think I'm ending up to Rail 7 but actually...

Now when it seems that all aluminium Rails have same motor/battery/frame and the biggest (that I think) differences between the cheapest Rail 5 625Wh and Rail 7 is:

- Fork (rearshock is same)
- Wheels: Bontrager Line comp vs Alex MD35
- Groupset: Shimano SLX vs SRAM SX
- Brakes: Shimano MT520 vs Tektro HD-745
- Cranks: E*thirteen E*spec Plus, 15T vs. SRAM X1 1000, 36T vs

I'm starting to like the idea that I'll buy the cheapest, save yet another 1000 EUR and after first 1000km upgrade the parts to whatever I think I need to. The SRAM SX is clearly a bit plastic budget setup, but I think I'll manage with it the first kilometers. Rearhub seems to need changing if upgrading to GX later on.

This is just my thoughts around the subject and based on my "real" need. I thinks there's not free lunch available between the models.

Prices (mainly in Germany)
Rail 5 - 3660 EUR
+ 1020 EUR
Rail 7 - 4680 EUR
+850 EUR
Rail 9 - 5530 eur

Hi Hamina,

I am looking for the prices above could you please guide me in the correct direction (Germany store)?

BR AmPer

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
Hi Hamina,

I am looking for the prices above could you please guide me in the correct direction (Germany store)?

BR AmPer
These were the prices 6 months ago so not valid anymore. At the time the Rail 5 was for some reason -600EUR cheaper in one store (Ebikes4you).

I used idealo.de to search for best price.

Cedric

Jan 2, 2021
Aywaille
Good points! I think I'm ending up to Rail 7 but actually...

Now when it seems that all aluminium Rails have same motor/battery/frame and the biggest (that I think) differences between the cheapest Rail 5 625Wh and Rail 7 is:

- Fork (rearshock is same)
- Wheels: Bontrager Line comp vs Alex MD35
- Groupset: Shimano SLX vs SRAM SX
- Brakes: Shimano MT520 vs Tektro HD-745
- Cranks: E*thirteen E*spec Plus, 15T vs. SRAM X1 1000, 36T vs

I'm starting to like the idea that I'll buy the cheapest, save yet another 1000 EUR and after first 1000km upgrade the parts to whatever I think I need to. The SRAM SX is clearly a bit plastic budget setup, but I think I'll manage with it the first kilometers. Rearhub seems to need changing if upgrading to GX later on.

This is just my thoughts around the subject and based on my "real" need. I thinks there's not free lunch available between the models.

Prices (mainly in Germany)
Rail 5 - 3660 EUR
+ 1020 EUR
Rail 7 - 4680 EUR
+850 EUR
Rail 9 - 5530 eur
Can you tell me where I can find these prices? In Germany, in Belgium or on the web? All I have seen is more expensive. tx

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
Can you tell me where I can find these prices? In Germany, in Belgium or on the web? All I have seen is more expensive. tx
Please have a look at the previous post. The prices are not valid anymore as the world has changed.

Alex Ebiker

Mar 24, 2022
Wiltshire
I went for a Rail 5 625W mainly because I liked the colour, I got 15% off at the bike shop,I’ve got some secondhand line 30 wheels and swapped the groupset out for gx that included the gx cassette, renthal bars and stem, I even got an RCT 3 shock for £100 that came off a brand new bike, I managed to do this for around £500. If you scour eBay and pinkbike there’s lots of bargains out there. Brakes next.
Where did you get 15% off?.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles