Trek cheapy hub ball bearings

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
So I'm back on my pals Powerfly. The bike has a noisy front wheel. I've stripped it & found a cup & cone front hub where the locknuts have worked loose & water has got in & knackered the ball bearings.

I'll try to get away with new ball bearings, as the cups & cones look ok. Long shot but anyone know the ball bearing diameter on these hubs??
GjygBRev.jpg
-p3ZnB9t.jpg

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Scrub that lads, I'll be changing the whole thing for new. In passing, I would say a bottom of the range Powerfly is a false economy. Thing is made out of cheese.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Bit more on this. This is a one year old bike with about 1000 miles under its belt. I spoke to Trek today & found out the hub fitted at the factory isn't carried in stock & has no delivery date I.e. never coming back. Trek suggested buying a whole new wheel or a different hub with the associated wheel rebuild cost. Might be me but I would expect a current model to be supported with spares, especially on a wear part. You can see the pitting damage to the cup & cone in this picture. For now, I'll rebuild it with new ball bearings but I expect it will fail again within a year because of the damage to the cup & cone.

AsLzoA5v.jpg

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
I am not sure there is much sealing with cup and cone. Not sure they are suitable at all for MTB with dust/water flying everywhere.

I'd suggest looks for a set of wheels that have sealed cartridge bearings, perhaps a higher spec model. People upgrade the wheels to downhill rims, and sell the old ones off.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles