Bearing removal / installation tools

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
I seem to be on a bit of a spending spree at the moment. Next purchase is a tool for replacing bearings.

Anyone have some reccomendations? After something which can remove and replace headset, wheel and suspension linkages. I've seen some kits on amazon for around £50, but some of the comments suggest they only press in not remove?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I seem to be on a bit of a spending spree at the moment. Next purchase is a tool for replacing bearings.

Anyone have some reccomendations? After something which can remove and replace headset, wheel and suspension linkages. I've seen some kits on amazon for around £50, but some of the comments suggest they only press in not remove?
Yah…I’m gonna try the next level also. Extracting those suspension bearings look tricky. Had those bearings replaced a few years ago but I think I’m due for another set.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
MayhewSteelProducts_67003_Image1-616951214.jpeg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Is this any good?

To anyone. Is there a better value for money set out there? (bearing in mind they cost £40 inc delivery).

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
Is this any good?

Ah, just had a better look at this. I see how it works now. I was getting confused by some of the press dies being stored on the threaded bar. Just ordered, so thanks Steve!

In fairness, I was doing my research whilst in a meeting at work...

millemille

Feb 21, 2020
Peak District

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
Ah, just had a better look at this. I see how it works now. I was getting confused by some of the press dies being stored on the threaded bar. Just ordered, so thanks Steve!

In fairness, I was doing my research whilst in a meeting at work...
Following with interest. Let us know how good it works

mcboab

Aug 2, 2022
NE UK
If any of the bearings are blind or don't have access to the bearings inner lip to enable drifting out you'll probably need a blind bearing puller. Though this is more likely to occur on Motorbikes /maybe the odd suspension linkage bearing? Here's one I bought earlier (for Motorbike bearings) .DHA 16pc Blind Hole Pilot Inner Internal Bearing Puller Extractor Removal Tool Kit with Slide Hammer : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive
PS they are a bit fiddly to use IME and (extra ?) small bearing inner ID or extra large ID may not be covered.

davidjmilli

Nov 20, 2020
Dudley
If your looking for a blind puller. These work pretty well. Just gave to wrap an amount of tape round to stop any scratches

even good for pulling wheel bearings as are a good range of sizes.

Then use a bearing press to put new ones back in. The Tenybike one is great as It’s just soft alloy and won’t wreck the new bearings on the way in.

davidjmilli

Nov 20, 2020
Dudley
Is this any good?

I bought a set of those when I got tired of buying individuals from RRP. Think I paid. £35 off amazon with Prime delivery.
Lots of sizes and work well with other brands threaded bars.

hainman

Apr 8, 2021
Glasgow
I stumped up the cash for an RRP tool and all the fittings for my bike
Would rather have the right stuff after years of bastardising steel rods and sockets
Press and extraction👌🏻
the pro bearing blind pullers are ok but not the best

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
I bought a set of those when I got tired of buying individuals from RRP. Think I paid. £35 off amazon with Prime delivery.
Lots of sizes and work well with other brands threaded bars.

Pressing in new bearings is easy though. Use the old bearings and some threaded rod, a couple washers, two nuts.

Bearing *removal* is where the magic happens.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
ZTTO set is a new product that I've not seen before.

Around 100 euros with postage to Europe.

ZTTO A33 Bearing Tool
1668852129198.png

Rapid Racer Products seemed to become a little too expensive with all adapter for two bikes.

I ended up buying 16 different tools (160eur) from:

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
I have one of those expanding bearing pullers & it's an excellent tool. Did pretty much every linkage bearing on my Lapierre Zesty with it.

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
Is this any good?

But this is only a press.
depends on a bearing, you can remove it in different ways
blind bearing puller
or
using, for example RRP cups RRP Bearing Press Tool | Westbrook Cycles

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
I'm slightly ashamed to say I still haven't tried them yet! The bearings still seem OK, so thought I'd wait until after winter before looking at changing them. That, coupled with being busy with work recently (nothing to do with the bad weather, hinest!) means I haven't been using the bike much recently either.

I

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
Funny that I just read this thread as currently I'm going through pivot bearing hell 😱. My Trek only has like 1,000 miles on it purchased 8 months ago. Pivots started creaking around 500 miles. Since parts have a two year warranty I took it to my LBS 3 miles away from me who is a Trek dealer, but it is not a corporate store. He replaced the upper and lower pivot bearings last week. Yesterday temps were back in the forties so I had a chance to ride it again. Now the creaking is 2-3 times as loud and appears to be coming from the upper pivot which he said was the easiest one for him to replace.

Last night I decided this AM I'm going to call the corporate Trek store located 25 miles north of me. I'm hoping they are better staffed with a tech or techs there. I figure since they have 15 electrics in stock on their website they might be more experienced with this type of issue. I'm sure they do a lot more work on EMTB's than my LBS as I only saw one electric in his show room.

I know what this is going to involve for me now . . . First I'll have to drive 25 mph north just for them to diagnois the issue and then tell me they have to order the correct bearings. Then drive home again. Then drive up there again when bearings come in. Then leave it there over night and drive back home again. Then drive back again to pick it up and pay them the labor charge as Trek's warranty says it only covers parts . . . I'm guessing $200 in labor. I think my LBS Trek store had the bill reversed as he charged me like $100 for the bearings and Trek's warranty states they don't pay for labor.

So I'll clock another 150 miles to get this done now a 2nd time.
And this corporate store might even give me a hard time telling me to take it back to where I bought it. I tried to order my model from them originally and they told me I wouldn't see it for a year! So Trek corporate located one for me 2.5 hours west of me (was 5 hrs round trip). I can see this turning into me having to drive another 5 hrs and also book an over night at a hotel there waiting for it to get done. I will make sure they have the bearings in stock or pre-ordered.

Bottom line is in the future I will change or re-grease the bearings myself (Does Trek use sealed bearings that ca't be re-greased?) I have a Park stand and I've watched the how to vids on Youtube. Coincidently, today I was going to order from somewhere a bearing remover/ press kit (and a crank puller to get at the bottom bearing) and this AM I see this thread resurrected on where to buy bearing tools. So far just looking at Park's combo set it is over $700 with tax and I don't need such a complete set more geared for someone doing professional bike shop repairs on various models.

My plan this AM is to make a vid of the sound and where it's coming from then send it to the corporate Trek store 25 miles north of me and see if they can diagnois it which would save me a trip back an forth.

Question . . . what might this LBS bike shop have done potentially wrong to have replaced all 4 bearings (one on each side) with both upper and lower pivots to cause the creaking now to be 2-3 times louder now than before he repaired it?
It was hard to replicate the creaking before he repaired it, If I sat on the bike and moved my body weight up and down I found I could replicate it before he changed the bearings. But now all I have to do is lean my body weight on the seat move up and down and I can hear the loud creakning while seeing the upper pivot flexing. I can even put my hand on the pivot and feel the creaking now!

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles