Trance×~ rear hub fail? Now a mullet.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
The rear hub on my 2021 Trance x e+ pro 1 failed yesterday, in a similar fashion to how my 2019 Trance E+ pro1 failed. The freehub interface stripped the threads out of the hub body. The ratchet and paws are perfect though lol.

975 miles and less than a year of ownership. Let's see what the warranty department says. The wheel is back with the LBS. I wont freak out on them, if they deny me, I'll simply change brands.

When I sold the 2019, I kept all the spares, which means I have parts to fix the X~ but only if it becomes as a mullet.

Abra-ka-pocus. 15 minutes and 10 speeds a mullet.

I wont say it's a good look.

It took some time to adjust, but by the end of one ride, I was in the same groove as per normal- which is like the lowest frequency groove possible.

Oddly enough, the only adjustment I made to get comfy, was to speed up the shock rebound 5 clicks, it felt like it was staying tucked in too long, and needed to free up a little.

I only had about 35 minutes testing but I've seen enough to say the ×~ is OK as a mullet.

Edit. Forgot to mention, the 27.5.rear clearly lowered the assist speed a few mph. Not a big deal to me. I've asked the dealer if they can change it, in the setup, but I'm pretty sure they won't ... we will see.

20210928_111852.jpg
20210928_111737.jpg

Last edited:

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
No. These fails were 6 months to a year apart, and the first was on a MY 2019, after at least 3K miles of Billy-goat stuff. I was totally cool with the way Gaint handled it, and I thought the hub did solidly considering the abuse.

This last one failing (today) on a MY 2021 after less than 1000 miles is concerning though, and I might need to look at a tougher bit of kit.

I have ordered a Kindernay 7, so I might leave this a mullet for some time and use up all my 10 and 11 speed HG stuff (spare wheels, cassettes, chains) while waiting for the K VII (still no ETA on the K).

Last edited:

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I Pick up the warranty hub today. Giant replaced the Hub under warranty, but the shop had to re-lace the old hoop.

I had already borrowed a 29er from another bike, becuase the TranceXmullet didn't suit me. The mullet change to the bikes geometry might have been fine, with some adjustments, but the reduced speed kills the deal for me. Im not interested in de-restricting so I'm happier on the X as a 29er.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles