Trails around Somerset?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Am possibly in Somerset end of May. Is there anything decent around this area that you’d recommend?

Could possibly drive up to Forest Of Dean which is about 1hr 50, but if there’s anything more local that’d be good too ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Somerset is amazing for riding Rob.
You absofrickinlutely must go to the Quantocks. it's one of the best areas in the country for it's size for number of great trails and variety of riding on offer.
I'll tell you more about the area when I'm home (at Work now)

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
There’s some stuff round Bristol, but from what I can gather the trip to the FoD is worth the extra miles.
There’s bound to be a route round Cheddar Gorge.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
No. Cheddar isn't actually great for mtb. a lot of the best trails there are on private land. There are good spots nearby though.
Bristol does have soem good riding but it's not in Somerset.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
@Rob. It might be helpful (before I type loads of irrelevant info) if you said where in somerset you'll be based. it's quite a large county. ;)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Ah. I lived 8 or 9 miles from there for 4 years and spent a lot of time in Crewkerne just a mile or two away. I'll get back to you later tonight with ideas

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Personally I'd ignore that MBR route. it's an hours drive away and honestly not all that good. (some sections are) but overall pretty much just a standard XC loop. there are way better trails closer. unless of course you wanted to visit Cheddar anyway. Wooky hole is def worth a look.
Ok. If you're staying in Merriot you actually have some decent riding from the door. Ham Hill is a great little playground full of short single track descents/climbs, chutes and natural kickers. it's probably less than 4 miles north(ish) from Merriot and situated above Stoke Sub Hamdon and some of the lanes to get there are lovely this time of year (quiet too)
to the South is Crewkerne. There's a natural loop I used to do there that is fairly easy to navigate/follow and is probably not too far off the sort of riding in a lot of that cheddar loop above. There's also some great history in the area if you're into that. Two of the oldest trees innthe country. druid/pagan stuff all sorts.
You're also really close to some amazing well established dirt jump spots. I won't disclose their locations here but if you're interested PM me. One place in particular not far from Yeovil is worth going to even just to watch some of the locals if it's a decent day. Yeovil itself isn't all that nice. well. not in comparisson to a lot of other Somerset towns anyway.
As for travelling to places slightly further afield i'll list in order what i'd recommend
* Quantocks - N/W of taunton. As said an amazing network of both natural and DH trails in and out of coombes (Valleys) and some longer natural open rolling terrain with great views of the bristol channel and wales (on a good day). hook up with locals and you definitely won't be disappointed as to what's on offer in the qs. it's just the other side of Taunton and should take you around 40mins drive to get to somewhere central to start from. You'll pass through Taunton which is a lovely town and has some decent riding in it too.
* Coombe Sydenham - Other side of the Quantocks ther used to be two or three DH tracks in the area but they're all accessible by riding up and maining them all into one big loop.
* Tiverton Woods - there used to be quite a bit of unofficial building went on there and some fairly lairy tracks.
* Puddletown woods - similar set up to above.
* Dartmoor/Exmoor - big natural XC
*minehead (can't remember the name of the woods) but it's just outside Minehead on the other side of the main road. nice single track oldskool DH tracks (think Enduro nowadays)
* Chute woods- Axminster - hand built fun trials with a slant on DH/jumps
there are a good few secret DH trails in the area I helped dig but i've no idea if they will still be rideable. some were very very illegal.

Much further south you have exeter and then Plymouth. Both have a pretty good trailbuilding/mtb scene and there's alays been a full days worth of decent riding to be had nr both cities.

Bristol has a great mtb scene too. if you ever end up there check out Leigh woods.

This is just a quick list off the top of my head. there are plenty other spots worth looking at too but I'm in a bit of a rush just now.

Let me know what sort of riding you like best and i'll have a think as to what'd suit you best.

Last edited:

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
Personally I'd ignore that MBR route. it's an hours drive away and honestly not all that good. (some sections are) but overall pretty much just a standard XC loop. there are way better trails closer. unless of course you wanted to visit Cheddar anyway. Wooky hole is def worth a look.
Ok. If you're staying in Merriot you actually have some decent riding from the door. Ham Hill is a great little playground full of short single track descents/climbs, chutes and natural kickers. it's probably less than 4 miles north(ish) from Merriot and situated above Stoke Sub Hamdon and some of the lanes to get there are lovely this time of year (quiet too)
to the South is Crewkerne. There's a natural loop I used to do there that is fairly easy to navigate/follow and is probably not too far off the sort of riding in a lot of that cheddar loop above. There's also some great history in the area if you're into that. Two of the oldest trees innthe country. druid/pagan stuff all sorts.
You're also really close to some amazing well established dirt jump spots. I won't disclose their locations here but if you're interested PM me. One place in particular not far from Yeovil is worth going to even just to watch some of the locals if it's a decent day. Yeovil itself isn't all that nice. well. not in comparisson to a lot of other Somerset towns anyway.
As for travelling to places slightly further afield i'll list in order what i'd recommend
* Quantocks - N/W of taunton. As said an amazing network of both natural and DH trails in and out of coombes (Valleys) and some longer natural open rolling terrain with great views of the bristol channel and wales (on a good day). hook up with locals and you definitely won't be disappointed as to what's on offer in the qs. it's just the other side of Taunton and should take you around 40mins drive to get to somewhere central to start from. You'll pass through Taunton which is a lovely town and has some decent riding in it too.
* Coombe Sydenham - Other side of the Quantocks ther used to be two or three DH tracks in the area but they're all accessible by riding up and maining them all into one big loop.
* Tiverton Woods - there used to be quite a bit of unofficial building went on there and some fairly lairy tracks.
* Puddletown woods - similar set up to above.
* Dartmoor/Exmoor - big natural XC
*minehead (can't remember the name of the woods) but it's just outside Minehead on the other side of the main road. nice single track oldskool DH tracks (think Enduro nowadays)
* Chute woods- Axminster - hand built fun trials with a slant on DH/jumps
there are a good few secret DH trails in the area I helped dig but i've no idea if they will still be rideable. some were very very illegal.

Much further south you have exeter and then Plymouth. Both have a pretty good trailbuilding/mtb scene and there's alays been a full days worth of decent riding to be had nr both cities.

Bristol has a great mtb scene too. if you ever end up there check out Leigh woods.

This is just a quick list off the top of my head. there are plenty other spots worth looking at too but I'm in a bit of a rush just now.

Let me know what sort of riding you like best and i'll have a think as to what'd suit you best.

Gary do you have any recommended routes in the Quantocks please? The MBR is one I’ve ridden in the days before GPS trackers but I’d like to try some new stuff.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Thanks @Gary that's a great list. I'm looking for some nice DH and technical with some nice scenic routes. You've listed loads, thank you.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
you'll find everything from DH to epic all day XC rides from Triscombe car park in the Quantocks

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
@galaga187 I haven't lived in the area in years . Head into Ralph Coleman Cycles and ask for advice there. Those guys are really helpful. If it's anything like it was back when I was new around those parts you'll often hook up with a local or local group ride.

I know my way round the Qs well but many trails will have changed considerably by now.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles