Trail Pants Recommendation

RM.SGO

Apr 25, 2020
Danville, CA
With the colder weather I’ve flipped over to wearing trail pants. Biggest frustration is that it makes it really hard to reset knee pads when they slide around a bit. Anyone come across a good pair that may have zipper access to the knees?

RM.SGO

Apr 25, 2020
Danville, CA
Looked at those... bummed that it was only the uber-expensive waterproof version (which probably don't breath that well) of the MT500 that had the open zippers. The less expensive ones were just gussets which wouldn't be quite as helpful.

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
For some reason it doesn't really show or state it but the endura humvee cycling trouser II has a zip on each leg that runs from ankle to knee. If I've got to drive to the trails I'll be wearing them and just unzip that bit to allow me to put knee pads on rather than taking the trousers off.

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
I have the Fox flexairs, they have no Zip but are very baggy above the knees, very easy to unbutton pull down the pants and reset kneepads, the pants will stay tight around the ankles.

If you want to get something on the cheap, get the decathlon hiking mh500 pants for ~€30, mine have survived 2 years so far and are my most worn riding pants. Ankle is a bit looser than the mtb specific ones and only thin knee pads will fit however. Much more breathable than the mtb specific pants from decathlon (which I also own and don't really recommend outside of wet weather pants) and even the fox flexairs (but clearly not as tough, I'd expect the fox's to survive a good number for crashes for e.g.)

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Looked at those... bummed that it was only the uber-expensive waterproof version (which probably don't breath that well) of the MT500 that had the open zippers. The less expensive ones were just gussets which wouldn't be quite as helpful.
I avoid using my Endura Waterproof trousers because I sweat to death in them. So I get wet from either the inside or from the outside. Now just carry a pair of ultra cheap thin waterproof overtrousers for when it gets very wet, look silly but when it's that wet who cares?

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
I have these Hummvee zip-off trousers, as @Bummers says, they have ankle zips and convert to shorts. They're great for getting pads on/off and converting if you get hot/cold.

The vid on the page shows the zips:

Just the normal humvee have a vertical zip to open the trouser leg rather than fully detaching.

RM.SGO

Apr 25, 2020
Danville, CA
I have these Hummvee zip-off trousers, as @Bummers says, they have ankle zips and convert to shorts. They're great for getting pads on/off and converting if you get hot/cold.

The vid on the page shows the zips:

Going to give a pair of these a shot. Thanks!

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK

IXS Flow Evo+Knee Guards from Wiggle are good. They zip and have a velcro strap as well. They don’t slip down (on me!)​

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK

Bad-Latitude

Aug 21, 2022
Simi Valley
sounds ridiculous but I bought some wrangler brand pants at Target. They look and feel like the same material as normal riding pants. They are slim cut but still fit my knee pads underneath and they are super durable. Highly recommend.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
nukeproof blackline are the comfiest ive had, not waterproof and they are thin but if its cold I can get the skinz on underneath, knee pads fit under too.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles