towbar bike racks

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
HELLO and happy holidays

looking for solutions . My local bike stors recomended the Thule 3 bike carrier.
A bit confuse it about the total load capacity and if I can safely carry 3 e-bikes
Max number of bikes 3
Load capacity 60 kg
Max bike weight 30 kg
Tks in advanced for your advice

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
Do the maths ... do your three ebikes weigh less than 60kg or exceed 30kg per individual bike? If the answer is yes to either then you probably shouldn’t be carrying all three.

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
I´ve done the maths ... The seller don´t !!! :-o
Any regular full suspension e-mtb weights more than 20K
Any recomendation ? I need 3 e-bikes load capacity

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Depending on what type of car you have you might as well run into issues with maximum load on your tow bar. Many ordinary cars have a maximum load limit around 50 kg - It is typically indicated in the instruction manual for your car.

Karsten

ULEWZ

Nov 27, 2018
Northridge, Ca
Putting three heavy E-bikes on a trailer hitch is asking a lot. The outward most bike will be placing considerable load on the hitch as it is cantilevered pretty far multiplying the force. You are best to place two bikes on the rack and figure out some other way for the third bike. Maybe take the batteries off to lessen the weight? My giant Trance batteries weigh 4.54 kg, so for three bikes that would be saving 13.6 kg!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I have a thule 3 bike towbar rack.
I've carried 3 ordinary Enduro/trail bikes (less then 15kg each) on it or 2 heavier DH bikes (over 16-18kg each).
No way would I put 3 DH bikes on. Nevermind 3 (21kg) Ebikes

This will carry two Ebikes on your roof fine (front wheels inside the car)
Rockbros Sucker Roof-top Bicycle Rack Carrier Easy Install Roof Rack Bike Holder | eBay
and then you can use a simple towbar rack for last bike.
I also have a Thule Xpress 2 folding towbar rack. it'll hold a DH bike or Ebike or two regular bikes and takes 2 minutes to fit and secure so versatile it stays in the car at all times ready to use.
15 - Cycling - Xpress 970 Towbar Car Bike Rack - 2 Bikes
None of these options is any good if security (leaving bikes unattended on the car) is of importance to you.

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I use a”north shore rack” nsr4 with a 2” receiver. If you’re vehicle will handle the weight they also make a nsr6. Very convenient and handles thrashing up loggingroads full with dh bikes
North Shore Racks

Last edited:

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
I've been using this folding Thule rack for the last five years. It has been brilliant. Can't imagine an E-bike on a roof rack would work out well.

Only takes two bikes but there's plenty of room though I had to extend the tow ball by about 4" to avoid problems with the van rear window/handlebar.

Thule three bike racks seem to be too tight for three DH/E-bikes. And they don't fold!

I'll be using this rack for my genny too when boarding!!

Recommended!

20181211_104945.jpg

20181129_131521.jpg

20181129_131507.jpg

Sion

Dec 23, 2018
Mold
I use the Atera Stada 3 bike rack. I only carry one ebike on it, but I have had it fully loaded with heavy kids bikes with no issues. The website selling these shows how it can take the weight of a person. It is a very sturdy kit and still feels strong when fully extended with all the bikes on it. The landrover fixed tow bar is a very sturdy piece of kit though.

IMAG1736.jpg

Ross1137

Sep 8, 2018
Australia
I use the yakima 2 inch hitch mount rack, it can hold 2x30 kg bikes, I've only got the one platform on so I could fit the light board, its solid as with no worries whatsoever, I use a safety strap as well because I feel better knowing my $7000 levo is secure!!
20181205_180311.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles