Torn meniscus, did yours recover?

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
So tore my meniscus in my knee. Right at the beginning of the season, consultant says …tut tut tut, need surgery to remove it. Others say you can fix that with physio. So any advise? How did you recover yours?

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
Depends on how torn it is. It could be best to leave it, have it repaired or have it taken out. I tore mine (skiing) over forty years ago and it developed a cyst. My surgeon said if I had an office job (I am a mountain guide) he would have taken it our but because of my job he repaired it and I got about thirty years use out of it. Eventually it wore out/arthritis and I had a full knee replacement three years ago. My wife recently tore her ACL and meniscus and the surgeon who did my knee replacement said it was best to leave it and she now can run, walk and ski without problems. Each case is different. Armed with your MRI you need to have several opinions - preferably from a surgeon who specializes sports medicine

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
Depends on how torn it is. It could be best to leave it, have it repaired or have it taken out. I tore mine (skiing) over forty years ago and it developed a cyst. My surgeon said if I had an office job (I am a mountain guide) he would have taken it our but because of my job he repaired it and I got about thirty years use out of it. Eventually it wore out/arthritis and I had a full knee replacement three years ago. My wife recently tore her ACL and meniscus and the surgeon who did my knee replacement said it was best to leave it and she now can run, walk and ski without problems. Each case is different. Armed with your MRI you need to have several opinions - preferably from a surgeon who specializes sports medicine
Great advise, thank you. I’ll discuss with the surgeon and the physio and come up with a plan. If I can avoid having it removed I will. He did say it’s likely he can’t repair it as I’m to old … ahem 52. So he’ll remove it which will lead to arthritis.

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
I had surgery on my left knee due to meniscus tear. The surgeon decided to repair it once he got inside vs removing. I was 39 when this happened. I'll be honest with you- it has never been the same since and took years to even get to a stage that it felt 'ok'. I had terrible pre and post operation care and advice- so I highly recommend you get a good sports doctor and physio as it will make a huge difference to your recovery.

Some 8 years on I still have to be careful as falls, sudden twists and impacts have a tendency to aggravate my knees. Getting old can suck!

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I was told I had to have surgery about 18 years ago? I chose to be ignorant with myself because I'm allergic to medical interventions unless it's really something I can't avoid, like a badly smashed foot (I still haven't seen the xrays of that; nurses and doctors get enthusiastic and tell me I should see it. "It's a surgical masterpiece of flesh and titanium" 😂) . My knee used to lock out (loud thwok) and I'd be limping for weeks unable to fully straighten or fully bend it. Eventually I figured out how to avoid the lock out (hold foot behind my bum and then draw an outward circle with it until straight again - it would go nicely back to where it was meant to be). I used to exercise by lowering myself down then up on one foot. Lots of hills up and down. I still come down steep hills lowering my weight for each step (no slamming) - it's subconscious now.

I was also told that I'd have to get some vertebrae fused - ruptured discs. I started holding myself straight whenever I sat - years later and xrays show that everything looks normal. That actually really surprised me. It became an inbuilt habit (rock solid posture), so much so that my lower back muscles became really tight and I'd start getting tears when riding etc. Now I stretch but still maintain core.

For me it pays to be a bit ignorant. I avoid reading anything about it - I don't won't to hear or know that it probably isn't realistic. If I did read lots of negative prognosis I'd probably start believing it.

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
I did my left one about 9yrs ago. I Just let it do its thing and managed it by pushing off on my right leg, it healed OK, never was 100% but never gave me grief. I was never into running but I played a bit cricket so short stints of running and for the most part it was sweet.

Last year I did my right and it was agony for a few months, surgeon said if we trim/remove it you are going to get arthritis anyway and by removing it you'll just speed up the process. Manage it as best you can. Which I've done and for the most part its sweet. It aches from time to time, mainly after I've had one too many the night before but I'm pretty much pain free. Both will never be what they were but now I'm getting on in age that pretty much goes for every other joint in my body.

Snrbrtsn

Apr 7, 2021
Uk - Scotland
I’ve torn both mine
What’s important, is listening to the surgeon, ideally on the strength of MRI, I could post pictures, taken almost exactly 5 years apart, however you have to appreciate we are all different and tears happen in different ways.
More so, physically we feel the pain, we ignore the mental impairment and rush to get back to doing what we enjoy, rushing the recovery and thinking we can push through slight pain, only to be crippled the day after and worsen the injury.
Whilst on both occasions, I tore mine on treadmills pushing too hard, on both occasions, the induced stress and anxiety of being laid up was unreal & unappreciated!
Whilst I’m not in any shape or form a mental health professional or woke mutha fu…., I’m now consciously aware!

First tear was probably worst @ 41, surgeon advised 50/50 physio versus surgery, however with consideration to age advised non-surgical, many months of physio, massage and floor excercises latterly acupuncture sessions, though still can be troublesome in cold weather or first thing in morning.
I still recall the stress & frustration of being off work, unable to walk, ascend/descend stairs etc
Second tear was foolish, made worse after initial injury, twisting and turning at top of stairwell causing an almighty pop and shot of pain, though knowing what I’d done and what to expect, second MRI showed very similar tear, in same area, different leg!
On both counts, recovery was circa 8 weeks+ to regain manageable pain free walking, though much strengthening leg exercise's needed & continues, though one does get forgetful when male bravado kicks in, though body quickly reminds.

For my recovery, cycling helped, though stationery bike and latterly road cycling
The injury was part of the reason I switched to EMTb, though initially gravel biking, to date, I do not have confidence for technical trails or jumps moreso just glad to get out and wake the next day pain free.
Not to say my rides are boring, more aware the enjoyment is merited both on the trail and the day after!

Physio shall advise icing and floor exercises which seems stupid, working towards leg presses and resistance training, realistically, they appear ridiculous, though very effective, whilst squatting off a step looks foolish and breaking the pain barrier seems wrong, done correctly and managed, (where you try to stay clear from pain barrier) is very effective!
On both occasions, once relatively pain free, I taped my knees with kinesio, correctly done, provides great pain management

Dependent on severity of tear, you’ll be back walking or on bike in relatively short time, though today it shall appear an eternity, you’ll likely swap the knee pads for compression braces, which serve to slow you down

Good luck with recovery, either option, let the professionals advise!
Regardless, you’ll need physio, patience and resilience

To answer your first question, Did yours recover ?
Yes, though takes time and strengthening, sadly can not be rushed, whilst not 100%, can be influenced by actions!

Reactions: iXi

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
I’ve torn both mine
What’s important, is listening to the surgeon, ideally on the strength of MRI, I could post pictures, taken almost exactly 5 years apart, however you have to appreciate we are all different and tears happen in different ways.
More so, physically we feel the pain, we ignore the mental impairment and rush to get back to doing what we enjoy, rushing the recovery and thinking we can push through slight pain, only to be crippled the day after and worsen the injury.
Whilst on both occasions, I tore mine on treadmills pushing too hard, on both occasions, the induced stress and anxiety of being laid up was unreal & unappreciated!
Whilst I’m not in any shape or form a mental health professional or woke mutha fu…., I’m now consciously aware!

First tear was probably worst @ 41, surgeon advised 50/50 physio versus surgery, however with consideration to age advised non-surgical, many months of physio, massage and floor excercises latterly acupuncture sessions, though still can be troublesome in cold weather or first thing in morning.
I still recall the stress & frustration of being off work, unable to walk, ascend/descend stairs etc
Second tear was foolish, made worse after initial injury, twisting and turning at top of stairwell causing an almighty pop and shot of pain, though knowing what I’d done and what to expect, second MRI showed very similar tear, in same area, different leg!
On both counts, recovery was circa 8 weeks+ to regain manageable pain free walking, though much strengthening leg exercise's needed & continues, though one does get forgetful when male bravado kicks in, though body quickly reminds.

For my recovery, cycling helped, though stationery bike and latterly road cycling
The injury was part of the reason I switched to EMTb, though initially gravel biking, to date, I do not have confidence for technical trails or jumps moreso just glad to get out and wake the next day pain free.
Not to say my rides are boring, more aware the enjoyment is merited both on the trail and the day after!

Physio shall advise icing and floor exercises which seems stupid, working towards leg presses and resistance training, realistically, they appear ridiculous, though very effective, whilst squatting off a step looks foolish and breaking the pain barrier seems wrong, done correctly and managed, (where you try to stay clear from pain barrier) is very effective!
On both occasions, once relatively pain free, I taped my knees with kinesio, correctly done, provides great pain management

Dependent on severity of tear, you’ll be back walking or on bike in relatively short time, though today it shall appear an eternity, you’ll likely swap the knee pads for compression braces, which serve to slow you down

Yes, though takes time and strengthening, sadly can not be rushed, whilst not 100%, can be influenced by actions!
Great advise, I’ll need to put my ego away for a month or two

hogicid

Jun 2, 2023
United States
I’ve torn both mine

The injury was part of the reason I switched to EMTb, though initially gravel biking, to date, I do not have confidence for technical trails or jumps moreso just glad to get out and wake the next day pain free check the guide https://doctor.global/blog/meniscus-tear-understanding-symptoms-treatment-and-recovery/.

Had the devastating news this morning from the Doctor that I have torn my meniscus, how badly is yet unknown but for a few weeks ive been in terrible pain with my knee, firstly I went through a bit of anger/denial and kept on running through the pain but now ive accepted that im unable to run, which is absolutely devastating to me as running is my life and I go every day for long fast runs which ive worked hard for to get to the level im at.

I just wondered If anybody on here has torn they meniscus aswell and if so what the healing times etc are? ive been googling it and have read a few different answers,

I am itching to get running again and quite frankly feel down and depressed about the whole thing,

any advice etc would be appreciated.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
My left ACL (kitesurfing) damage means my left knee is bad but not bad enough to have a knee replacement. Can still kitesurf with a Donjoy Fourcepoint brace but can't do the stuff I used to do. Same with skiing, going to try a Ski-Mojo in December and if that works then great, but if not then no more skiing for me. But no probs with eMTB pedals ...

Bottom line is, Life changes and you have to change with it.

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
I had a torn meniscus, it resulted in a flap of cartilage wedging into my joint causing considerable pain. The short story is the doctor did the usual, ice, heat, ibuprofen, blah blah. I then became a pest to them, they eventually sent me for an MRI. The NHS refused to do surgery as it wasn’t severe enough. (The knee has to be locked permanently for them to consider it). So I had to pay for it, which I did. Surgeon said no more running, I’ll deffo get arthritis in future years. But cycling is advised. I’m not fully recovered. I can’t twist my knee at all without pain. But I can walk, run short distance, and cycle. So I’m all good. Foot note - surgeon said he can’t repair it on any person over 40 as we lose the ability to heal the meniscus, very poor blood supply.

good luck on jour journey, it took 10 months to recover properly.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Meniscus and MCL in 2016 (so I was 46 after reading the above) at bikepark Wales. Usual GP fob off until I mentioned I had private medical insurance then they referred me and it was operated on within 2 weeks.
Agree the flappy bit was incredibly painful when it got jammed.
I purchased a pod kneebrace which stopped it overextending and provided some lateral support. It also helped with the mental game and I was still able to goto morzine 3 months later.
I've never been a believer in physio to be honest. Its always felt like a delaying tactic to ultimately needing to have surgery and just wastes more time.
It's still fragile to this day though. I have to be careful with twisting motions.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles