Took a while, now let's see....

Johnny Reggie

Mar 14, 2024
London
Hello
I've been fancying an eMTB for some time now and having narrowed down my search to Trek Rail or Spec Levo. Got a deal on Trek Rail 9.8 and I'm now waiting for delivery. Can't wait.
I'm an old(er) guy riding motorcycle Trials and want to improve my fitness. Most of my riding mates have both motorbikes and "full fat" eMTBs (which, incidentally, is where they pick up most of their injuries :oops:), but if you can't beat 'em and all that...

All help on essential good riding gear and tips to avoid common rookie mistakes greatly appreciated.
Cheers

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
Hello
I've been fancying an eMTB for some time now and having narrowed down my search to Trek Rail or Spec Levo. Got a deal on Trek Rail 9.8 and I'm now waiting for delivery. Can't wait.
I'm an old(er) guy riding motorcycle Trials and want to improve my fitness. Most of my riding mates have both motorbikes and "full fat" eMTBs (which, incidentally, is where they pick up most of their injuries :oops:), but if you can't beat 'em and all that...

All help on essential good riding gear and tips to avoid common rookie mistakes greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Helmet = Full-face lightweight. If you're pretty like me, you'll want to stay that way.
Pedal/Shoe combo = Don't be using plimsolls or walking boots, the right equipment makes all the difference on contact points. 5:10's and a set of pedals with decent-sized pins.
Suspension set up - Set sag, play with the other bits, and watch YouTube set-up videos for your shock/fork.
Tyre Pressures - Sounds silly, but beginners usually go too hard initially, so depending on weight/terrain/tyre etc will affect it.
Tyres - There is no right tyre. See who is using what at your local spot, and then argue about it.

Johnny Reggie

Mar 14, 2024
London
Helmet = Full-face lightweight. If you're pretty like me, you'll want to stay that way.
Pedal/Shoe combo = Don't be using plimsolls or walking boots, the right equipment makes all the difference on contact points. 5:10's and a set of pedals with decent-sized pins.
Suspension set up - Set sag, play with the other bits, and watch YouTube set-up videos for your shock/fork.
Tyre Pressures - Sounds silly, but beginners usually go too hard initially, so depending on weight/terrain/tyre etc will affect it.
Tyres - There is no right tyre. See who is using what at your local spot, and then argue about it.
Thanks for the advice. I’m ordering up decent gear as we speak. Are new bikes typically supplied with suspension setting for a particular rider weight? I’m happy to set up myself but would be good to know how they are delivered. Good point on tyres, it’s a bit boggy right now 👍🏼 What’s your thought, run with the tubes, switch straight to tubeless or tubes with slime? Cheers, Reggie

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Get minimum knee and elbow pads and ideally body armour and full face helmet. I learnt the hard way, have Dainese Linea helmet, POC VPD knee and elbow pads, and Leatt Airflex Stealth Tee. Not too hot in summer.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
Thanks for the advice. I’m ordering up decent gear as we speak. Are new bikes typically supplied with suspension setting for a particular rider weight? I’m happy to set up myself but would be good to know how they are delivered. Good point on tyres, it’s a bit boggy right now 👍🏼 What’s your thought, run with the tubes, switch straight to tubeless or tubes with slime? Cheers, Reggie
Watch a few videos on how to set up suspension and tyre pressures for your terrain.
They will come either flat/no pressure or massive pressure.
Personally, I only run tubeless and have done so for 15+ years, so many advantages. Tubes are OK for road bikes, slime tubes are ok for kids going to school.

Johnny Reggie

Mar 14, 2024
London
Watch a few videos on how to set up suspension and tyre pressures for your terrain.
They will come either flat/no pressure or massive pressure.
Personally, I only run tubeless and have done so for 15+ years, so many advantages. Tubes are OK for road bikes, slime tubes are ok for kids going to school.
As it happens the manual is quite informative, so all good on the setting up. Tubeless then, cheers 👍🏼

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
OP, I'm from a similar background as you coming from the dirt motor category but enduro competition instead of trials. I still ride dirt motor, just don't compete/race anymore. Three years ago I tested the waters with my old 2003 Santa Cruz Bullit with a home built Bafang BBSHD mid-drive motor setup. It was actually good enough to satisfy for three years.

However, like you I decided to go with a more modern rig...29'er wheels, etc...and chose a Trek Rail 7...somewhat similar to what you'll end up with to some degree. Unlike you, however, I come from many years of riding full suspension MTB's which helped my decision process.

You didn't go wrong with choosing a Bosch motor rig. I'm not poo-pooing other brands, but the Bosch is a solid, reliable choice I doubt you'll regret. The previous suggestions about good protective gear are 100% spot on. I've used a Specialized Deviant full coverage helmet that I don't believe they even make anymore, and I bought three of them at the time since I loved it so much. Regardless of which brand and model you choose, you will be amazed at how well vented and how much decent airflow the good ones allow so you don't overheat.

The other stuff like knee/shin guards and elbow/forearm guards are well, well worth it too. I even use lightweight, full, vented, body armor front/back shell design with shoulder cups when riding some of the more gnarly trails like Moab and our club's off road ranch here in Texas. One good fall in rocky terrain will make you a believer. Still, people are different about using highly protective gear like that, and many just prefer open faced helmets, jersey, and bike shorts. I like my teeth, and I know I've helped my shoulders and rib cage in many get-offs during the years, but choices are personal in that regard. Oh, good padded gloves are a must too, along with always wearing your glasses or aftermarket eye protection in some form but not necessarily goggles.

I wasn't sure what your "full fat" description entailed on your friends' MTB's, but if it was the 4" tired, fat bike, style, then I'd say to avoid that for any serious off road. Those bikes can be a lot of fun on easy bike paths and such, but most of them will not handle and perform like the Trek Rail you're getting. But again...personal choices. Not everyone...including me...is going to hit it like Wade Simmons and Richie Schley...yeah, showing my age, LOL!...but it pays to take advantage of the higher tech bikes of the day and the protective gear available to get the most out of riding...and be able to keep riding instead of laying up in the recliner at home with injuries.

I think you're going to have a hoot with your new emtb and hopefully quite shocked at how good emtb's have gotten.

Johnny Reggie

Mar 14, 2024
London
Hi
That’s really good to hear. I mention “full fat” as an expression, meaning full power as opposed to lightweight eMTB. I’ve yet to meet a rider that doesn’t say “should have gone electric years ago” 😂😂. The likelihood is that I’ll be riding trails, perhaps more aggressive trails, and probably not full on downhill, at least to start. If I’m honest I’m not a fan of body armour but a good helmet and I’ll have a good look at elbow and shin/knee protection. I’ve bought myself a MIPS open face helmet by POC but have a Bell MIPS unit to try. I will keep an open mind though and I take on board the comments that you and others have made. First thing is to get familiar with the bike and the terrain. I’ll be riding in the Home Counties, south east and south west of London and also around France. There’s a lot of terrain to explore. I’ve also started to equip myself with tools and stuff like bike stands, it’s a proper Aladdin’s cave! I reckon I’ve done a grand already I’m I’m still waiting for delivery of the bike 🙂
Thank you for the pointers and advice. Happy days!

Johnny Reggie

Mar 14, 2024
London
Cheers I may well take you up on that. I’m currently in the process of moving down to Kent, in 4 weeks time, so it’s chaos right now. I have some mates that ride the MOD land in Hampshire/Surrey and I believe Surrey Hills. I’ve had a quick scan and it seems there are plenty of trails around Kent too. 👍🏼

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
Cheers I may well take you up on that. I’m currently in the process of moving down to Kent, in 4 weeks time, so it’s chaos right now. I have some mates that ride the MOD land in Hampshire/Surrey and I believe Surrey Hills. I’ve had a quick scan and it seems there are plenty of trails around Kent too. 👍🏼
Surrey is the Mecca, Kent has a few places too.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles