To go full face or not that’s the question?

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
High Rock Ruti

look at Rob's crash and you need not ask, I only use full face and mostly the rampage carbon pro, heavy but breaths great. Put my first scratches in it doing a backwards summer salt three weeks ago. I rarely hit my head, not more than 5 or 10 times a year......I've face plated several times over the years.

Broke two ribs doing a superman onto my chest, was not until saw my face in the mirror than I realized I had a big bruise on my chin. No full face; the ribs and the chin would have been tied for first place.
What is not obvious is when you moving fast you can't go from 15 to 0 and be in control of your body. I've noticed that when I am rolling ass over tea kettle I have no control over my body, my head whips around unless something stops it....the ground for instance.

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
Why stop at the helmet. If you want protection from a compressive fall you need a leatt neck brace or equivalent. I had all the goodies when I used to ride my downhill bike at Northstar. Omg what a pile of stuff...might as well wear mail and learn to joust...

I've had numerous collisions including one unexpected face plant. The face plant is the reason for a full face. Years ago I bought an early giro precusor to "summer full face". Norcal in the summer ...impossible for me to endure rebreathig my hot breath. So i wear a mild helmet , troy lee hard elbows, troy lee knees , 661 chammy lycra bike shorts with foad padding on them for mid femur sacrum..definately safer with zoic baggies over.. nw midrise in summer and nw himalayas winter.

I've had one anterior cervical discectimy and fusion at c3-4 most likely from the a hole who was pointing out obsticles infront on the ground and didn't bother pointing out the log across the trail just above my visor...so the rest of my cervical vertebrae are totally degenerative ( I'm a physician btw) so the best way to be good to your neck is to wear on gnarly downhills a soft cervical collar loosely applied. Than slightly rest your chin on the collar and let it sink a bit into your sternum. Presto no more bobble head . I take if off in climbs etc.. just rode 13 miles at Sedona not on my eBike but my ripmo...but I do the same when I'm on my meta power . If you got neck pain try that and also ditch anything on your back like a hydration back. If it's not on my bike I don't need it.

Mavik

Jan 4, 2019
Malaysia
With hot temps here and high humidity levels (annual average of 80%) at the places I ride, having a full face might seem nuts but the safety aspects trumps it all. Had multiple crashes where I thank God that I had a FF helmet on. WIth an ebike it definitely doesn't feel so much as a burden. I learned from my friends who ride motorbikes that ATGATT is really key.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I had to look it up.
For those like me who don't ride motorbikes, definition pasted here to save you the time.
What is ATGATT?
A motorcycling acronym used in basic theory and practical motorcycling lessons to remind motorcyclists to wear All The Gear All The Time (ATGATT). This acronym is a commitment by bikers to the practice of wearing personal protective clothing at all times.

Last edited:

Endoguru

Aug 21, 2019
Usa
So I’ve spent a number of hours looking at helmets and reading forums.
Makes me wonder just how many on here use a full face for every day riding?

I don’t, but I have a really good open face mips helmet which gets used every ride.

I’ve never questioned using a full face in the past thinking they are for the young that go downhill very fast.

Now at 60 , retired and riding alot I've started the question this.
The driver really was the move to my Whyte 160, and I keep thinking I’m riding a lot faster, not really rough stuff, just the standard Peak District stuff, no bike parks.

I don’t have a habit of putting myself in silly situations, having a bad back and missing disc I try and keep myself safe.

But as winter comes in and I blast down lanes and roads at 30mph plus I keep questioning doing it in an open face with no chin or cheek protection.

I fully understand it’s a personal thing, but do wonder what risk I’m taking, what would the benefit be, what is the downside, would I get extra protection from the howling wind and rain.

What does the EMBT collective think about using full face for aggressive cross country?
I wonder what percent of the people on here use one, especially us over 60 youngsters?
I’m 65 and like fairly aggressive downhill trails. That’s why I love my Decoy, it lets me get to the top a lot more often. I bought a Troy Lee Stage full face a few months ago and have taken to wearing all the time. It is very comfortable, light and very well vented. It is not to hot even for our Texas summers which are 95-100 most days.

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
I’m 65 and like fairly aggressive downhill trails. That’s why I love my Decoy, it lets me get to the top a lot more often. I bought a Troy Lee Stage full face a few months ago and have taken to wearing all the time. It is very comfortable, light and very well vented. It is not to hot even for our Texas summers which are 95-100 most days.
Same situation except Levo & California!

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I am thinking I should wear a full face more than I do. I have one but contrary to the guys from the States I wear it mostly to keep warm in the winter!! It has virtually no vents so certainly not like the newer Enduro type helmets and as a result I am more reluctant to use it in the summer. Like a lot of others I have spent ages looking at reviews and have come to the conclusion that I need another full face that I am more prepared to wear in the summer. We rarely get the sort of temperatures the guys in the States talk about and the majority of my riding does not in any case consist of long climbs so I have come to the conclusion that I can do without the additional complexity of removeable chin guards and chose a reasonably well vented helmet that has full DH certification. My half face is an Endura MT500 with Koroyd and I am more inclined to go with a Koroyd or EPP helmet than one with EPS. That narrows the field quite a bit!!

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
After reading on another cycling forum of several JRA facial degloving accidents, I decided a FF seemed prudent. I've had a couple of crashes where I was happy to have facial protection. One quick front wheel wash out where I slapped down hard enough to smack the side of my head without having time to get my hands up and a couple where I was ejected through underbrush. I could hear branches bouncing off of the face guard on those, and impact marks on it from the washout crash. Would a half lid have fared as well? Maybe? Hard to say, I'd rather not test it.

Chrispy

Oct 19, 2020
Oakridge, OR
New to e-mtn biking but riding regular mountain bikes for over 30 years (64 now). I've never had a full face nor had any particular need for one. I don't wear pads either. I ride mostly singletrack, some pretty technical/difficult, but never felt the need for more than my usual riding gear (decent helmet, gloves, riding clothes), but I'm pretty comfortable in knowing where my limits are too....and am more of the wheels on the ground kinda guy. YMMV.

Smeer

Mar 2, 2020
Vancouver
After reading on another cycling forum of several JRA facial degloving accidents, I decided a FF seemed prudent. I've had a couple of crashes where I was happy to have facial protection. One quick front wheel wash out where I slapped down hard enough to smack the side of my head without having time to get my hands up and a couple where I was ejected through underbrush. I could hear branches bouncing off of the face guard on those, and impact marks on it from the washout crash. Would a half lid have fared as well? Maybe? Hard to say, I'd rather not test it.

I shouldn't have Googled 'facial degloving'.

I got a Fox proface, I never ride without it anymore. Had two incidents where I landed on my face (sideways) and I believe with one it saved me broken jaw or something else. Riding the Canadian trails, I think it is a must do.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
For anyone still deciding I just bought the Smith Mainline. Zimmer already did a pretty comprehensive review but here are my views.
Firstly straight out of the box the helmet shouts quality of design and finish. I am 57cm head and the medium is very comfortable fit using the thinnest cheek pads and neck roll provided in the set of pads. The medium pads also fit but apply just a little too much pressure on my jaw bone. I suspect they would compress a little with time and are probably the ones I end up using longer term. The helmet is true to its advertised weight with the thinner pads but more than that it is well balanced and a secure fit so I do not really notice a great deal more weight than my half face. As zimmer reported the venting is excellent and both goggles and glasses fit well. Vision is also unobstructed with neither the chin bar or the top/sides of the helmet getting into line of sight.
The following may be negatives if they are important for you. The visor is adjustable but does not go high enough to store goggles and the strap closure is the double link type. Neither bother me, in fact I prefer to wear large frame mtb glasses to goggles in most conditions and the d link is more reliable and easier to adjust than the alternatives.
I considered the usual range of favourite ff Enduro helmets but considered most of them too much of a compromise and some of them pretty fragile according to some feedback on yt. I think the Mainline perhaps together with the POC Coron are the closest to full DH helmet safety whilst minimising weight and giving enough venting to enable day long use in place of a half face.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
For anyone still deciding I just bought the Smith Mainline. Zimmer already did a pretty comprehensive review but here are my views.
Firstly straight out of the box the helmet shouts quality of design and finish. I am 57cm head and the medium is very comfortable fit using the thinnest cheek pads and neck roll provided in the set of pads. The medium pads also fit but apply just a little too much pressure on my jaw bone. I suspect they would compress a little with time and are probably the ones I end up using longer term. The helmet is true to its advertised weight with the thinner pads but more than that it is well balanced and a secure fit so I do not really notice a great deal more weight than my half face. As zimmer reported the venting is excellent and both goggles and glasses fit well. Vision is also unobstructed with neither the chin bar or the top/sides of the helmet getting into line of sight.
The following may be negatives if they are important for you. The visor is adjustable but does not go high enough to store goggles and the strap closure is the double link type. Neither bother me, in fact I prefer to wear large frame mtb glasses to goggles in most conditions and the d link is more reliable and easier to adjust than the alternatives.
I considered the usual range of favourite ff Enduro helmets but considered most of them too much of a compromise and some of them pretty fragile according to some feedback on yt. I think the Mainline perhaps together with the POC Coron are the closest to full DH helmet safety whilst minimising weight and giving enough venting to enable day long use in place of a half face.
Just to correct one thing I said above. Goggles CAN be stored under the visor depending on the specific goggle but do not completely clear the helmet brow. My 100% goggles will stay there provided the going is relatively smooth so fine for a climb back up on a fireroad etc. I have ordered the Smith Squad goggles to replace the 100% and they have a slightly smaller overall format so may store under the visor more securely.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
High Rock Ruti

I rode yesterday, and the day before. Now that I think about I'm riding nearly everyday. I come off the bike (mostly in a minor way) everytime I ride, how is it I'm never sidelined......?
20200610_102939.jpg

Oh now I remember, l look ridiculously over armored. See the flesh showing above the full shin/knee cap guards that's where the brake lever scooped out the flesh 5 weeks ago, high side, sideways, backwards summer salt down a steep slope, first scratches on the $500 FULL FACE helmet, and yes I rode the next day. I just revel in my armor every time I crash without injury, anybody else?
20201103_111651.jpg

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Just to correct one thing I said above. Goggles CAN be stored under the visor depending on the specific goggle but do not completely clear the helmet brow. My 100% goggles will stay there provided the going is relatively smooth so fine for a climb back up on a fireroad etc. I have ordered the Smith Squad goggles to replace the 100% and they have a slightly smaller overall format so may store under the visor more securely.
First ride with the Smith Mainline FF today. 2 hours of mostly downhill forest runs. Clear blue sky but cold at about 12 degrees. The helmet was great. I was probably a little overdressed because although ambient temperature was low, there was zero wind and it was sunny, so I was getting hot when pushing hard, but my head stayed cool and the helmet was very comfortable. I even managed to grab a drink occasionally just by loosening the strap a little and tilting the helmet down. The only very minor issue I had not considered, was that when using my Gopro on a chesty mount I could not see the camera because of the chin guard....... but I know the angle it needs to be and just use the "beeps" to let me know if it was recording or not, so no big deal.
To confirm what I said above, for returns to the heads of trails etc , the 100% goggles stored OK up under the visor.
Wearing goggles really does feel more secure especially on trails with shrubbery intruding onto trails, but the 100% Accuri goggles I used were not good to be honest! Firstly they blocked my nose to the extent I could only breath through my mouth.......probably because they are being pushed down by the helmet brow. Secondly they were hot and I was glad to lift them when I could to get some air!
I think this really only demonstrates how important it is to match your goggles to your helmet and I am expecting both issues to be resolved with Smith Quad MTB Goggles currently on order. Unlike the 100% the sides and top are an open lattice rather than foam and there are also air vents on the bottom of the frame..........and the goggles were designed specifically to fit Smith helmets. I will let you know!!

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
High Rock Ruti

I rode yesterday, and the day before. Now that I think about I'm riding nearly everyday. I come off the bike (mostly in a minor way) everytime I ride, how is it I'm never sidelined......?
Oh now I remember, l look ridiculously over armored. See the flesh showing above the full shin/knee cap guards that's where the brake lever scooped out the flesh 5 weeks ago, high side, sideways, backwards summer salt down a steep slope, first scratches on the $500 FULL FACE helmet, and yes I rode the next day. I just revel in my armor every time I crash without injury, anybody else?

No padded shorts??? :eek:

Jokes aside, I wear POC shorts with hip and sacrum pads on almost every ride under my baggies. After decades of crashing, I've figured out that when I come off I land on my hands first, then knees, then hips. Rarely elbows, so I don't bother with elbow pads.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK

Jokes aside, I wear POC shorts with hip and sacrum pads on almost every ride under my baggies. After decades of crashing, I've figured out that when I come off I land on my hands first, then knees, then hips. Rarely elbows, so I don't bother with elbow pads.
No elbow pads! :eek::eek:
As you suggest, the body armour we wear reflects our riding history, or should that be accident history? In other words we protect the bits that get damaged.
  • I am reminded of a British story from World War 2. The bombers were suffering severely from anti-aircraft flak and from fighter planes. One of the backroom boys thought to record all the places where the bombers had received damage and he had it recorded at all the bomber airfields. After a month he had detail drawings of the bomber in question that had distinct areas covered in black spots of varying sizes and shapes. He suggested that these places be armoured. Then someone said "but didn't these planes get back to the airfield?" :)
It seems to me that pretty much every time I come off the bike, it's hands then elbows, often just elbow then hip (always the same bloody side!) The elbow guards have saved me from severe grazes at worst, broken bones at best. The usual outcome is ligament damage to whatever is connected to the shoulder, but no broken bones, cuts, or grazes. In addition I have been known to bounce off walls, trees, gateposts and occasionally other riders. All of these I survive unscathed thanks to my elbow guards. Knee & shin are the next bits.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts

High Rock Ruti

I wear the POC shorts too, on my third pair in six years, keep tearing them on snags

High Rock Ruti

I always wear POC shorts, three pairs in six years, snags keep tearing them. I posted earlier about only getting injured where skin shows, today's OTB.
20201106_083121.jpg

No idea what I scraped against, but a great ride today.

Warm Regards

Ruti

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
So let's resurrect this...

Today I went out and hit a cold icy berm a bit too wide and next thing I know my face is coming into contact with the ground.

All is well but the helmet is a write off. Had I just had my normal one on I wouldn't like to think of the state my face would have been in.

Ordered a leatt dbx 4.0 enduro to replace it as you can't really cheap out on safety
IMG_20210212_154414.jpg

Theres a crack on the front that isn't easy to catch on the photo but the helmet did its job.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
So let's resurrect this...

Today I went out and hit a cold icy berm a bit too wide and next thing I know my face is coming into contact with the ground.

All is well but the helmet is a write off. Had I just had my normal one on I wouldn't like to think of the state my face would have been in.

Ordered a leatt dbx 4.0 enduro to replace it as you can't really cheap out on safety
View attachment 52770

Theres a crack on the front that isn't easy to catch on the photo but the helmet did its job.

High Rock Ruti

Full face Full time

1613150516056.png

Fox Rampage Pro Carbon $499 USD love this helmet incredibly well fitting lesser helmets can be pushed back to hit chin when face planting, had a bruised chin on an OTB superman landing flat on my chest and face. Didn't notice the bruise until later as the broken ribs had my full attention.

Warm Regards

Ruti

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
High Rock Ruti

I wear the POC shorts too, on my third pair in six years, keep tearing them on snags

High Rock Ruti

I always wear POC shorts, three pairs in six years, snags keep tearing them. I posted earlier about only getting injured where skin shows, today's OTB.
View attachment 43780
No idea what I scraped against, but a great ride today.

Warm Regards

Ruti
If you shave your legs you'll get an extra couple of Ks out of your battery ?

Forever Wild

May 21, 2020
Arizona
So I’ve spent a number of hours looking at helmets and reading forums.
Makes me wonder just how many on here use a full face for every day riding?

I don’t, but I have a really good open face mips helmet which gets used every ride.

I’ve never questioned using a full face in the past thinking they are for the young that go downhill very fast.

Now at 60 , retired and riding alot I've started the question this.
The driver really was the move to my Whyte 160, and I keep thinking I’m riding a lot faster, not really rough stuff, just the standard Peak District stuff, no bike parks.

I don’t have a habit of putting myself in silly situations, having a bad back and missing disc I try and keep myself safe.

But as winter comes in and I blast down lanes and roads at 30mph plus I keep questioning doing it in an open face with no chin or cheek protection.

I fully understand it’s a personal thing, but do wonder what risk I’m taking, what would the benefit be, what is the downside, would I get extra protection from the howling wind and rain.

What does the EMBT collective think about using full face for aggressive cross country?
I wonder what percent of the people on here use one, especially us over 60 youngsters?
I have increasingly been using my full face. It’s only a matter of time before I’ll regret not using it. I find myself riding faster all the time.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
High Rock Ruti

The only the place I get injuries in on my body, oh wait when I read that I realize.........?

I have a scar from 8 moths ago where the brake lever scooped out a quarter inch deep patch of of flesh, a couple of inches long, it was the patch of uncovered skin above my knee/shin guards and below my POC EPD armored shorts, I never seem to get anything more that superficial abrasions under my armor. Do not carry an open face helmet in the car "Full face Full time". I don't wear my upper body armor for lighter faire, but my back pack in it's place, I've rolled on that back pack dozens of times by the way. I get to ride daily I rarely see anyone so my embarrassment is not a concern of any kind. Being able to ride daily is the real priority, armor up or be prepared to take the day(s) off to recover.

At 66 I've precious little years left to do anything especially my favorite addiction (EMTB'ing)

Warm Regards

Ruti

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Nice...that lid was on my shortlist but ended up opting for the Smith Mainline. Let us know how you get on with it.
Re your Gopros....any way to leash them? I know its probably not posssible with the 8 if that is what you have on the chinbar but if that is the case I would be aralditing my own leash point onto the camera.
Re the 3 /4? why not have it pointing backwards. The forward view from the side of the helmet is not good..very weird to watch! A rear view would be good to splice into a clip especially if you have a following rider.
I have been thinking about a chin mount on my Smith. I virtually always use a chesty at the moment but since I started wearing a backpack, two lots of straps are beginning to get annoying!

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
regarding the cameras. the 2nd one is just a cheap one that will be sitting in a variety of places just for extra angles on stuff. so sometimes it'll be pointing forwards, sometimes backwards, sometimes sitting on a rock etc.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles