Tire Gauge Reliability

CarolinaCrawler

Jan 30, 2023
North Carolina
I'm struggling with getting a low pressure presta gauge to last. They always seem to get clogged up with sealant. I started with a nice brass one and it lasted a few months before it stopped working. I picked up a new cheaper one and it lasted maybe 2 weeks and now it will check pressure but not release any air.

What are you guys using for checking air pressure? I check mine pretty much every ride (2-3 times a week). I've eat dirt due to being 5psi down and rolling a tire so I check every time.

Last edited:

dschae1

Jul 20, 2021
Texas
I use this attached to a pancake compressor. for nearly 3 years now, no issues with sealant.
https: // www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FDCHGML

I wonder if you are using too much sealant? Also, I place the valve at the 10 or 2 position when checking/inflating pressure, that might be less likely to get any sealant dripping down and coming thru the valve stem? If you wait a minute or two, the sealant should flow to the bottom of the tire anyway, right?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I found that the sealant can build up at one end of the valve. This buildup can act as a “flap” which may prevent tire inflation or give incorrect psi readings.

I now use Filmore valves.

CarolinaCrawler

Jan 30, 2023
North Carolina
I wonder if you are using too much sealant? Also, I place the valve at the 10 or 2 position when checking/inflating pressure, that might be less likely to get any sealant dripping down and coming thru the valve stem? If you wait a minute or two, the sealant should flow to the bottom of the tire anyway, right?
I always put the valve toward the top of the tire just so I don't have to bend over so far. lol My wife has cuchcore and hers always spits a little sealant out.

I use 4oz of sealant on new tires and 2oz on top off's around every 6 months. The current tires are only a 3 months old and still have the original 4oz in them.

I took apart the valve in the gauges I use and clean them, but there's a fitting that is VERY tight. I feel this is where the clog is. I can drive them apart but then they don't go back together as well and wont hold pressure afterword. I tried soaking the part in solvent and it did no good. I'll see if I can get a good pic of the part later.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I don’t use regular valves anymore.
image.jpg
image.jpg
This tire also has a CushCore

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Topeak Smart Gauge D2.............used for years with no problems. Probably like most folk I do need to either clean or replace the wheel Presta valve inserts occasionally because they can get gummed up with sealant.

One tip is to press the presta valve in momentarilly to release some air and any sealant in it before attaching a pump or the gauge. The Topeak has a pressure release function so my normal routine is to overinflate with the pump (which is not very accurate)...check with the gauge and release air down using the gauge to my preferred setting.

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
Interesting on those Fillmore valves...had never heard of them. I run tubeless and sealant on my MTB's and my dirt motorcycles. I find that you should administer a blast of air either from an air tank or even just your floor pump to clear the valve. Have the valve at about the 7-9 o'clock position and shoot a quick blast or pump of air into the valve. I've never lost a gauge of any kind doing it this way, and I lost a couple before figuring out to just clear the valve first...presta or schrader.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Topeak Smart Gauge D2.............used for years with no problems. Probably like most folk I do need to either clean or replace the wheel Presta valve inserts occasionally because they can get gummed up with sealant.

One tip is to press the presta valve in momentarilly to release some air and any sealant in it before attaching a pump or the gauge. The Topeak has a pressure release function so my normal routine is to overinflate with the pump (which is not very accurate)...check with the gauge and release air down using the gauge to my preferred setting.
100% agree with every single thing that @Mikerb said. :)(y)

Additionally, I would recommend that the bike be stored with the tyre valves at the 5 or 7 o'clock position. This allows the sealant to slide out into the bottom of the tyre.

But even doing all of this, I do need to replace the Presta valves now and again, maybe annually.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Our bikes in the garage are left with the rear wheel valves at 8 o'clock and front wheel valves at 4 o'clock (viewed from the right).

Prevents sealant dripping into the valves and makes pressure checking easy (before every ride).

Change tyres twice a year and clean and replace valves if necessary. Valves are cheap, not rocket science.

Last edited:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Regarding the Filmore tubeless valve; they’re expensive. They use a different internal valve and the hole (inside the tire) is larger and less prone to sealant clogs.
IMG_7546.jpeg

If you zoom in on the Filmore valves, you can see that one is open and one is closed. I haven’t had any clogging issues with these.

My psi gauge and Park tool inflator are collecting dust.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
I'm struggling with getting a low pressure presta gauge to last. They always seem to get clogged up with sealant. I started with a nice brass one and it lasted a few months before it stopped working. I picked up a new cheaper one and it lasted maybe 2 weeks and now it will check pressure but not release any air.

What are you guys using for checking air pressure? I check mine pretty much every ride (2-3 times a week). I've eat dirt due to being 5psi down and rolling a tire so I check every time.
High Rock Ruti

I use the built in guage $20 Schwinn tire pump, but squeezing the tire is really the way I measure the pressure, been squeezing for a decade the mechanical feel tells me more than the reading on the dial.

Warm Regards Ruti

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
I’ve never had one fail. I have this on my compressor:

I have the Jaco above in the first reply. And I keep the digital Topeak on the bike.

WTF, I can't get an amazon link to post. The forum converts it to a media link and destroys it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles