Time to get used to the weight?

leix_toffee

Jan 15, 2021
Ireland
Hi All, I bought a Cube Stereo Hybrid 140 recently and I am finding it difficult to get used to the weight of the bike. I was just wondering if this was the same for anyone else? For background, this is my first eMTB, my other bike is a Scott Scale HT Carbon (very light), last full-sus was a Canyon Nerve XC from 2012. This also my first 29er which I am finding a little strange.

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
Had mine for nearly four months now and still find it very heavy, especially, for example wanting to lift the back end with my feet. I could almost do a turn using that on my Stumpy, but no chance on my Levo.

billwarwick

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 1, 2018
warwick
Same for me. I went from Haibike hardtail 27.5 to Stereo Hybrid full suss 29 and still haven't really fallen in love with it yet. Really feel the extra weight and tight turns still catch me out. Also had a couple of heavy falls ,which doesn't help. Just got to balance out the bad points against the brilliant fun to be had.

Marley

Jan 28, 2021
VA
I can really feel the weight when loading and unloading my Trek Rail 7 on the back of my truck, thing is a beast.

Very different story on the trail once I learned to use pedal assist to my advantage and in conjunction with brakes.
The extra weight makes the bike much more planted and confidence inspiring.

I'm clearing bigger logs and tighter switchbacks with the much heavier Ebike then I did with my ultralight Cannondale Scalpel due to momentum.
The heavy front end stays planted on steep inclines.

I too was questioning the weight and how that would translate out on the twisty single track that I ride......been absolutely delighted with the extra traction and performance of what I thought would be it's downfall.....it's weight.

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
You are dealing with a lot of significant changes in one hit:

Bike Weight
Geo Change
Travel Increase, especially from a HT ;)
Wheel Size

So it'll take a lot of riding to get used to that lot. Fact is, no amount of riding will make it feel like a race HT. So you'll need to reset your expectations. Enjoy the tank-like descending ability, learn to muscle it around a bit and manage the extra weight. FWIW early on I had a lot of crashes where it felt like the front would bite then the back would be trying to overtake the front. I've got an old arm injury which was exacerbating this, so bought an MX brace which stops my wrist collapsing. So the extra weight can definitely highlight imbalances.

leix_toffee

Jan 15, 2021
Ireland
You are dealing with a lot of significant changes in one hit:

Bike Weight
Geo Change
Travel Increase, especially from a HT ;)
Wheel Size

So it'll take a lot of riding to get used to that lot. Fact is, no amount of riding will make it feel like a race HT. So you'll need to reset your expectations. Enjoy the tank-like descending ability, learn to muscle it around a bit and manage the extra weight. FWIW early on I had a lot of crashes where it felt like the front would bite then the back would be trying to overtake the front. I've got an old arm injury which was exacerbating this, so bought an MX brace which stops my wrist collapsing. So the extra weight can definitely highlight imbalances.
I had a significant wrist injury (few surgeries) so maybe I am being overly cautious at the moment also

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
Yep, I snapped Radius in half and broke a load of other bones (n). Found one of these half price on Amazon : Mobius X8 Seems bloody expensive, but it's definitely made a massive difference. Under pressure, my wrist would just collapse and twist the bars in. Not had a repeat incident since.

leix_toffee

Jan 15, 2021
Ireland
Yep, I snapped Radius in half and broke a load of other bones (n). Found one of these half price on Amazon : Mobius X8 Seems bloody expensive, but it's definitely made a massive difference. Under pressure, my wrist would just collapse and twist the bars in. Not had a repeat incident since.
Thanks for the link, I think I will need a wrist support at some stage

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Coming from a light carbon hardtail it must be a big difference ,from one end of the other in one go I found the same when first riding full suss bikes years ago . I guess if you’ve been riding a heavy enduro bike then emtb isn’t such a difference . Personally I like the planted feel the ebike has , I feel more confident on it , would maybe be different if I was doing stunts jumps or trials .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles