Ticks falling from the sky !!! 😳

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
First thought was "ah interesting" as my wife gets bitten a lot. Then I saw the website and thought "uh-oh, sounds a bit alt-'med' to me", also not entirely unbiased.

Pubmed is a pretty good source for scientific medical research. The conclusion from a study there is that some people simply taste better than others to mossies, but consuming vitamin B doesn't make any difference. I would guess that's also the case for horse flies, but couldn't (quickly) find any scientific studies.

While taking excessive amounts of some forms of vitamin B can be harmful, there appears to be no current conclusive research to suggest B1 (thiamin) would do much to you other than cost money. See report from the NHS.
Definitely some people are with me do
n't get bitten , or the bites don't bother them. More midges I'm on about though. I get swollen lips eyebrows etc for a few hours. I don't always know what has bitten me unless it is midges.

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Pubmed is a pretty good source for scientific medical research. The conclusion from a study there is that some people simply taste better than others to mossies, but consuming vitamin B doesn't make any difference. I would guess that's also the case for horse flies, but couldn't (quickly) find any scientific studies.
I have to say I'm very sceptical about most vitamin based " fixes" but having got to the point of having to take antihistamines for every horse fly bite and the bites getting so itchy as to be swollen and painful for long periods of time, that I had to find an alternative. B1 seems to work for me, I'm quite happy to pay the 6p a day. Tell your wife to give it a go, she can't really loose much other than your scorn for trying something new.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I have to say I'm very sceptical about most vitamin based " fixes" but having got to the point of having to take antihistamines for every horse fly bite and the bites getting so itchy as to be swollen and painful for long periods of time, that I had to find an alternative. B1 seems to work for me, I'm quite happy to pay the 6p a day. Tell your wife to give it a go, she can't really loose much other than your scorn for trying something new.
I

Last edited:

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
Confession: I have a serious bugbear against So-Called Alternative Medicine as the non-scientific thinking can lead to dangerous, even fatal outcomes (anti-vaxxers being just one, people being persuaded to take homeopathic sugar pills to protect them against malaria being another). There's tonnes of the crap sold in Germany! I actually took part in a mass suicide attempt for the press by swallowing a whole bottle of "highest potency" homeopathic "sleeping pills" on one occasion to show they don't do anything.

So, being a sad individual, I contacted the shop :)

I got a very quick and polite response from them, admitting that whilst they couldn't provide any links to studies for ingested vitamin B, they provided a link to a pubmed study about it being applied directly to the skin. Not able to assess the results of it though. The guy said that they would try to update the site with references as they do not wish to mislead.

I have a mild skin condition, so I'm taking anti-histamines on prescription. Low level, no side affects. Might mean that I react less badly to bites too. Don't know.

Fortunately very little exposure to horse flies around here. Them's nasty little bastards. I wish you well with your fight!

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
Nah… its april 1st joke 🧐

Seriously, I’m just kidding.

In fact, I guess it depends on the formulation. But I would not give this to my dogs, this is cheap $20,00 ivermectin and the ones formulated for dogs cost $200,00.
This is sold without the need of prescription and is widely used on rural population:

Ivermectine is one of the most cheap medicines to make (no patent anymore). If you pay 200 dollar for special dogs ones I guess they are cheating you :rolleyes:. Unless of course you get 2000 pills for that....

p.s. quick search came up with that Ivermectine costs about $2 to make for a course .....

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles