• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Thule 923 - too small for my bike?

gilbertdave

Aug 5, 2020
Chelmsford
Having received my new ebike yesterday (Trek Rail) I picked up a bike carrier from Thule today as my roof rails aren’t approved for heavy bikes.
Fitted the new rack (nice and easy), but the wheel straps don’t open wide enough to strap my bike down? Am I being mental?

I’m aware that the Plastic parts to support the wheel slide outwards, but the strap mounts appear to be fixed... the plastic straps are simply not long enough to go through the wheel and have enough spare to engage on the ratchets.

Having just spent a tonne of money, I really don’t want it to not work properly.

Any thoughts appreciated

Dave

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I could not find the 923 on the Thule website, there was a 925 though. I found a video for the 923, but the first few frames said it was a 920!

Anyway, on the Thule website they have all sorts of racks for 2, 3, 4 bikes and with different types of hanging, but they only appear to have one type of rack meant for ebikes and fat bikes. Apart from taking a bike up to 30kg, the key difference is the width of the wheel channels and the length of the straps to secure the wheels.

I bought one of these. Thule VeloSpace XT 938 2-bike rack

All the details of the spec are here...

And I bought it from here.. for a lot less. (Tip: opt for "click and collect" at your nearest Halford and save 10%)

Aug 7, 2020
West Midland, UK
You can order XXL wheel straps, if you look on amazon there out of stock but someone has put in the comments that they fit the 923. Something which may also work is spin the front wheel round 180 so it’s pointing inwards to shorten length so your straps fit.

gilbertdave

Aug 5, 2020
Chelmsford
Thanks for the feedback all... I will try the XXL straps, I did initially look for something like that but didn't find anything (most likely blinded by fury and rage, as always ;)).

Will let you know if these solve the issue.

gilbertdave

Aug 5, 2020
Chelmsford
598E9E4F-F8AC-494C-B55A-75F27B8A1435.jpeg

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
The wheel-beds don't look like they have been slid out to their maximum.
I also found on mine that it fits best if the crank is in front of the upright. (I put some foam tube insulation over the uprights as well, too stop any hard rubbing.

gilbertdave

Aug 5, 2020
Chelmsford
@gilbertdave Wow that rack looks light! What does it weigh?
My Thule VeloSpace XT 938 2-bike rack weighs 18kg! :(
But it is designed for two 30kg bikes or with a 3rd bike extension added, three bikes not exceeding 60kg total.
The info that comes with it says it’s 16.4Kg.

Max weight per bike 24Kgs, u[to 51Kgs in total.

used it last night and I’m pleased with it.

gilbertdave

Aug 5, 2020
Chelmsford
The wheel-beds don't look like they have been slid out to their maximum.
I also found on mine that it fits best if the crank is in front of the upright. (I put some foam tube insulation over the uprights as well, too stop any hard rubbing.
I just went and double checked. They’re deffo fully out. The problem I had was that the anchor points for the straps are fixed, so when the wheel beds are right out, the straps no longer secure at the bottom of the wheel (as the do on my roof mounted system) but they engage the wheel at 7 o clock (if it were a clock face). Longer straps solved it

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
I have found Thule racks to be overpriced tat over the years and now use Atera racks, mine fits my Levo Sl easily and also my Large Hello Dave which has a wheelbase of 1350mm with 2.4 tyres, and itll still go in the boot when not in use.

Dod Colony

Sep 28, 2020
Scotland
I could not find the 923 on the Thule website, there was a 925 though. I found a video for the 923, but the first few frames said it was a 920!

Anyway, on the Thule website they have all sorts of racks for 2, 3, 4 bikes and with different types of hanging, but they only appear to have one type of rack meant for ebikes and fat bikes. Apart from taking a bike up to 30kg, the key difference is the width of the wheel channels and the length of the straps to secure the wheels.

I bought one of these. Thule VeloSpace XT 938 2-bike rack

All the details of the spec are here...

And I bought it from here.. for a lot less. (Tip: opt for "click and collect" at your nearest Halford and save 10%)

Hi mate, how did you get the 10% code to work, I've opted for click/collect and can't see how to apply it.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Hi mate, how did you get the 10% code to work, I've opted for click/collect and can't see how to apply it.
I can't help you because I didn't even know that a discount applied until I came to pay. I opted for click and collect because the local Halfords is convenient and I could control the collection time. When I was buying, there was nothing to suggest that click and collect was cheaper, it just happened!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles