The Womens EMTB Thread - come on in ladies!

sparked

Jun 6, 2020
Melbourne
Bikes are taking off globally with more women getting into MTB riding, now EMTBs are more populare than ever amongst women.

I thought its time we tried to get some more ladies in here with me.. I'm sure there's plenty watching along side the few ladies that are also posting.

We can also provide information on bikes with lower standover heights and share geo type information that is more likely to be appropriate for women than men!

So come on in, introduce yourself.. ask questions, share your rides and lets have fun!

I'll start - I'm in Melbourne Australia and started off on a Levo Hardtail and now have a Liv Embolden E+2 that I just picked up yesterday. I'm very much a newbie and just looking to have fun on my new bike, make some new friends and see where this sport takes me. I used to be a horse rider and have found many of teh factors that made riding horses fun, translates to MTBs too!

Maybe Rob could make this a sticky so its easy to see and might encourage more female participation?

Last edited:

cemoz

Jul 12, 2020
Australia
Hi, I’m in Perth. Slowly getting back into riding had some heart problems so had to take a break, which sucked. Raced BMX when I was younger. Instead of buying a complete Eeb, i’ve been building one up to keep me busy. Bought a frame from overseas and are currently paint stripping it as I wasn’t keen on the original colour. Wouldn’t recommend going this route though unless you like hunting for parts from all over the world. It’s helped though as well for my design course, I’m interested in bike fabrication and will be making a Eeb frame soon for it, which I’m really looking forward to.

Might still be a bit hard for the Eastern States woman to attend due to our border restriction as it’s not far away but if there are other West Aussie woman lurking around and they don’t know about it. The WA Gravity Girls are holding a woman’s only event on 24/25 October weekend at Linga Longa Bike Park. Eeb‘s are fine to use and they have travel options if you don’t want to drive there.

Full details for it are here Trail Bliss – Women's Only MTB Festival sounds like it will be fun. Not sure if I will be able to go yet as I have to get the ok from my cardiologist first, hopefully it does well and will become an annual thing.

Thank you for starting the thread sparked, I haven’t come across any other woman yet riding EMTB’s where I am and it would be nice to be able to chat about them.

sparked

Jun 6, 2020
Melbourne
Hi, I’m in Perth. Slowly getting back into riding had some heart problems so had to take a break, which sucked. Raced BMX when I was younger. Instead of buying a complete Eeb, i’ve been building one up to keep me busy. Bought a frame from overseas and are currently paint stripping it as I wasn’t keen on the original colour. Wouldn’t recommend going this route though unless you like hunting for parts from all over the world. It’s helped though as well for my design course, I’m interested in bike fabrication and will be making a Eeb frame soon for it, which I’m really looking forward to.

Might still be a bit hard for the Eastern States woman to attend due to our border restriction as it’s not far away but if there are other West Aussie woman lurking around and they don’t know about it. The WA Gravity Girls are holding a woman’s only event on 24/25 October weekend at Linga Longa Bike Park. Eeb‘s are fine to use and they have travel options if you don’t want to drive there.

Full details for it are here Trail Bliss – Women's Only MTB Festival sounds like it will be fun. Not sure if I will be able to go yet as I have to get the ok from my cardiologist first, hopefully it does well and will become an annual thing.

Thank you for starting the thread sparked, I haven’t come across any other woman yet riding EMTB’s where I am and it would be nice to be able to chat about them.

Hi cemoz!

Yeh that would totally suck.. but so awesome that EMTBS are a thing now as I imagine that'd be a perfect thing to have yuo safely riding again.

Your build sounds very cool and you must be quite patient too. Even waiting for covid delayed deliveries is a ordeal in itself (well over here in lockdown land anyways)

The event sounds brilliant!

Let us know how you get on with your build too - I'm sure many would be very interested if you documented it as you went :)

IndigoUnicorn

E*POWAH Master
Sep 17, 2020
Las Cruces, NM
Hell YES!

I’m in Las Cruces, NM, USA and drove 4 hours to pick up my Trek Powerfly 5 this morning. Test riding through the parking lot of the bike store was a BLAST. Much more assist than I was expecting, holy WOW.

I’m ready to shred singletrack right now but, going to take the time to helicopter tape all the paint-chip-prone spots, convert the tires to tubeless, and install a PNW Ridgeline dropper post.

I’m glad there is a spot for we ladies to discuss our trials, tribulations, and victories.
001FC642-CED5-4FBF-9FC3-754F68206211.jpeg F23D6A41-8615-4748-8846-E6E70A0C67CF.jpeg

sparked

Jun 6, 2020
Melbourne
Hell YES!

I’m in Las Cruces, NM, USA and drove 4 hours to pick up my Trek Powerfly 5 this morning. Test riding through the parking lot of the bike store was a BLAST. Much more assist than I was expecting, holy WOW.

I’m ready to shred singletrack right now but, going to take the time to helicopter tape all the paint-chip-prone spots, convert the tires to tubeless, and install a PNW Ridgeline dropper post.

I’m glad there is a spot for we ladies to discuss our trials, tribulations, and victories.
View attachment 40646 View attachment 40647

Love ya new wheels! Awesome bike - congratulations and welcome into our space :)

PNW - I will have to look them up. I have strict measurements for a dropper due to my bike and my height!

sparked

Jun 6, 2020
Melbourne
Took the new stead for a ride today.
Love the extra squish. Yamaha motor way different to the Levo Brose. After putting it in full power for a hill climb. I forgot when I went to get back on. I applied slight pressure on pedals as I climb on and nearly threw myself off it, even the slightest weight on pedals the motor engages The levo feels more natural. So will remember to back off power levels in future.

The Levo Hardtail really is an awesome bike. My partner was most happy on it today! Damn you Specialized - make a smaller Levo please!

The Liv - might be a small frame but still a big bike. I’ll keep an open mind for now. But will check out the new Powerfly FS 4 when it hits the stores next month.
The saddle is at max height for me in this photo.
E42A5208-4A19-4FEB-800B-28D727799FE7.jpeg

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
That - is seriously very interesting and no doubt even more impressive! Can we see pics & some details? Motor, battery, controller, drivetrain, suspension, brakes, wheel, tires and especially the paintwork! Not asking too much am I? :D

Bike fabrication.
(that last sentence stands on its own - no other words necessary) QQ

Is it alloy? Bare naked metal & clear coat is what I wanted to do on my (just rechecked & actually only 10 years old ) Stealth Bomber. Problem 1 nick or chunk out rust bucket here we come and so maybe not.

Carol2208

Sep 8, 2020
Spain
Cool thread!!

I´m riding a Liv Intrigue E+1, and loving it. I´m a big fan of Liv and my acustic mtb is also a Liv Intrigue. But the name is as far as they go in terms of similarities, imho. The E+ is a truck, just plows through anything going down and is really confidence boosting, I really need to remember to adjust my riding when back on my acustic bike.

I live in Spain. I don´t do anything extreme, but love a nice flowy singletrack ... I gained some weight in the past few years when we were living abroad, and haven´t been able to get back into shape... bought the e-bike to be able to ride in group again, and as a motivation as well to get better. Right now I use the eMTB to go on group rides, or ride with my husband, and the acustic bike to train by myself. I´m really loving it that I´m priviledged to experience both! completely different rides, and both very fun!

sparked

Jun 6, 2020
Melbourne
Cool thread!!

I´m riding a Liv Intrigue E+1, and loving it. I´m a big fan of Liv and my acustic mtb is also a Liv Intrigue. But the name is as far as they go in terms of similarities, imho. The E+ is a truck, just plows through anything going down and is really confidence boosting, I really need to remember to adjust my riding when back on my acustic bike.

I live in Spain. I don´t do anything extreme, but love a nice flowy singletrack ... I gained some weight in the past few years when we were living abroad, and haven´t been able to get back into shape... bought the e-bike to be able to ride in group again, and as a motivation as well to get better. Right now I use the eMTB to go on group rides, or ride with my husband, and the acustic bike to train by myself. I´m really loving it that I´m priviledged to experience both! completely different rides, and both very fun!

The Es certainly do plow through anything from my experience.. big tree root, just bam over the top! The Levo HT was teh same but with the rear suspension its even more of a plow :)

Nice to meet you Carol and hope to see some photos/stories of your adventures :)

sparked

Jun 6, 2020
Melbourne
Sparked, just looking at the picture of your bike?. Did you buy it from a hobbit? ?

well funny you should ask this. I’m actually returning it. The LBS have been amazing and I expressed concern that it’s too big for me. So they are happily providinG a full refund.

my other concern was I don’t think I could get a dropper to fit it.

Back to the drawing board!

Carol2208

Sep 8, 2020
Spain
well funny you should ask this. I’m actually returning it. The LBS have been amazing and I expressed concern that it’s too big for me. So they are happily providinG a full refund.

my other concern was I don’t think I could get a dropper to fit it.

Back to the drawing board!

How tall are you? I´m 1.58cm and have a XS, the Intrigue came with a dropper post. Not a lot of drop allowed by the frame, but more than enough for what I do... And the frame is on the smaller side, in comparison to my also XS acustic, sometimes I wonder if I should have gone for size small instead of XS. But it still is a pretty big bike, like most e-bikes I guess

IMG_3739.jpg

sparked

Jun 6, 2020
Melbourne
How tall are you? I´m 1.58cm and have a XS, the Intrigue came with a dropper post. Not a lot of drop allowed by the frame, but more than enough for what I do... And the frame is on the smaller side, in comparison to my also XS acustic, sometimes I wonder if I should have gone for size small instead of XS. But it still is a pretty big bike, like most e-bikes I guess

View attachment 40894

Im 164cm and have a 74cm inseam.

I would think if you are comfortable on your XS then it’s the right size for you?

Even though the styling is kinda quirky I’m keen to try out the 2021 Trek Powerfly FS. The Small has a standover of 69cm

I was also studying geo charts yesterday and realized the standover seems to be calculated differently by manufacturers. On the Liv I think I am standing over the bike much further toward than the geo measurement

this just means I need to try more bikes out!

Last edited:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
hey ladies ....where do you source your mtb gear?? Im looking for armoured shorts for my wife. She has recently had a hip replacement. She does not normally wear any armour because she is fairly new to mtb and still learning on the rough stuff so nothing radical yet. Even so I think some hip protection is sensible as a start and I cannot find ANY women specific armoured shorts!! All my stuff is Leatt so I can recommend that but the Leatt factory must be on closedown because no one seems to have a range of sizes in stock...or no stock. What do you recommend??

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
My opinion, small sizes like XS an S thend to have very short reach/front end. A problem for lot´s off lady´s like my wife (my opinion). E-bkes also have in general big stacks, nevertless I recomend to go as big as you fell confortable.

sparked

Jun 6, 2020
Melbourne
hey ladies ....where do you source your mtb gear?? Im looking for armoured shorts for my wife. She has recently had a hip replacement. She does not normally wear any armour because she is fairly new to mtb and still learning on the rough stuff so nothing radical yet. Even so I think some hip protection is sensible as a start and I cannot find ANY women specific armoured shorts!! All my stuff is Leatt so I can recommend that but the Leatt factory must be on closedown because no one seems to have a range of sizes in stock...or no stock. What do you recommend??

There’s a worldwide Mountain Biking Ladies group on Facebook that has thousands of members - I’m sure somewhere there could provide some recommendations. I’ll have a quick look and see what I can find for you.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
There’s a worldwide Mountain Biking Ladies group on Facebook that has thousands of members - I’m sure somewhere there could provide some recommendations. I’ll have a quick look and see what I can find for you.
Thanks....meanwhile she has decided to go with the Fox Titan. I recommended Leatt but they fit quite low waisted and she prefers something that fits on the waist rather than hips.

Talking of hips ......what we all usually refer to as our hips is in fact our pelvis. The hip joint is lower down....important to note when specifically looking for hip protection.

sparked

Jun 6, 2020
Melbourne
Thanks....meanwhile she has decided to go with the Fox Titan. I recommended Leatt but they fit quite low waisted and she prefers something that fits on the waist rather than hips.

Talking of hips ......what we all usually refer to as our hips is in fact our pelvis. The hip joint is lower down....important to note when specifically looking for hip protection.

Ok cool. Hope they work out. When I searched the group I mostly found the same brands you mentioned.

Sledder

Aug 7, 2020
WA
My wife is picking up her first EMTB. She already shopped for a helmet and bought a Specialized Tactic 3 w/MIPS. After a quick walk around neighborhood with helmet on, her hair stuck to interior of helmet in what looks like the MIPS frame tabs. Is there a helmet you can recommend that will not rip her hair out each time she pulls it off. She is not keen on the idea of wearing a skull cap. Ideas appreciated.

sparked

Jun 6, 2020
Melbourne
My wife is picking up her first EMTB. She already shopped for a helmet and bought a Specialized Tactic 3 w/MIPS. After a quick walk around neighborhood with helmet on, her hair stuck to interior of helmet in what looks like the MIPS frame tabs. Is there a helmet you can recommend that will not rip her hair out each time she pulls it off. She is not keen on the idea of wearing a skull cap. Ideas appreciated.

ouch! I’ve got shoulder length hair and have a POC Axion I think it’s called and a Lazer helmet as well. Neither of these have ever ripped at my hair. I can adjust them in my head and have no issues at all

I wonder if the one your wife has is faulty?!

Sledder

Aug 7, 2020
WA
Thanks for the response. We went to bike shop today and found the helmet she had was an earlier release of the Specialized Tactic. The updated version has some fabric over the area that was catching her hair. We were able to swap for the updated helmet version and leave with her freshly assembled turbo levo now just studying bike owners manual.
Maybe this weekend she will actually turn a pedal.
Thanks again, great site and helpful folks like you.

t_j_oliver

Oct 8, 2020
Canberra, Australia
Hi, I'm Tracy from Canberra, Australia. I bought my Merida e160 8000 earlier this year as a way of getting in more downhill runs (climbing didn't seem to be getting any easier). I'm 160cm tall and ended up with the XS after finding the seat post on the S too high. The reach is a bit short; I'm trying to source a longer stem but everything seems to be out of stock! I'm competing in my first enduro event this Sunday :)

IMG_20200919_105201137_HDR~2.jpg

sparked

Jun 6, 2020
Melbourne
Hi, I'm Tracy from Canberra, Australia. I bought my Merida e160 8000 earlier this year as a way of getting in more downhill runs (climbing didn't seem to be getting any easier). I'm 160cm tall and ended up with the XS after finding the seat post on the S too high. The reach is a bit short; I'm trying to source a longer stem but everything seems to be out of stock! I'm competing in my first enduro event this Sunday :)

View attachment 41665

Hi Tracey! Awesome bike and have an awesome race on Sunday. Let us know how you go!

Carol2208

Sep 8, 2020
Spain

View attachment 41665
Very impressive ! Good luck on your Enduro race!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles