The State of eMTB in USA

jhumphries79

Jul 10, 2022
France
I am an American living in France who regularly visits the lower 48, and as of this past July I also own a lovely eMTB from Focus. After thoroughly (re)enjoying the thrills of MTB sports - after a 24y hiatus - here in southwest France, I finally returned to my home state of California for my usual summer sejour or work and pleasure. What I found on the trails of NorCal left feelings of frustration and condemnation.

Signs banning ALL USE of ANY eBIKES! They are everywhere, conspicuously posted a the trailheads of fantastic hills rides surrounding all the cities of the San Francisco Peninsula. eMTB are totally illegal on 98% of California trails, parks and recreational areas, in 2022!

I did see one eMTB, ridden by a German Google engineer who imported it (illegally) to USA. Beyond that, every other ebike was also massive, heavy, bulky and just no where near the level of advancement we enjoy in Europe. Why? 🤦‍♂️

So I visited my alma mater - UC Santa Cruz - and went to the original shop for Santa Cruz bikes on the west side of the town I lived 22 years ago. Passing Scotts Valley, where Fox Racing forks and Zero Motorcycles are built and HQ-ed, I thought "if any place in USA were to have eMTB, surely it would be Santa Cruz Bikes".

I asked about the electric Heckler, to the collective reaction of contempt and cajoling from the staff, echoes of "out-of-shape cheaters don't need apply". As for the eHeckler? Special order ONLY.

There was a single person I encountered who was thrilled about my query and my new Focus enduro bike. I can run a kilometer in 4 mins so the "cheater" accusation doesn't hold water with me, and seeing I am in better shape than most of the staff half my age, the peanut gallery ceased their silly commentary.

I left the shop of Sant Cruz bikes bemused and bereft. How had this become such a divisive issue? Why are Californians (and Americans) so far behind the global trend on eBikes and eMTBs? Why are eMTBs illegal??

/end rant

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Divisveness is the new norm here in the U.S. and although the Bay Area seems to be having a hard time accepting the trend of eBikes, heck they still haven't gotten over MTB's as far as I can see, it is not representative of the whole of the country.

Sudastone

Aug 14, 2022
San Jose, Ca
Hello. Yep I live in San Jose and there are only about five County parks in my area I can ride Rocky Mountain. Calero, Santa Teresa, Almaden Quicksilver and Henry Coe and maybe a couple of others. Mid Pen "owns" all the good stuff from San Jose up the peninsula towards Pacifica. All the fun single/double track I liked to ride on my Yeti like John Nicholas or Saratoga Gap are off limits and come with a $300 fine if caught. You can ride up in Pacifica or Wilders Ranch in Santa Cruz though.

I'm kinda glad I was able to get my ebike pretty cheap. I had paid 6k or 9k for it and could only do the fire roads around here I'd have some serious buyers remorse.

And it's not just California I've read on Reddit and some FB groups about other states that limit ebikes too.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
I am an American living in France who regularly visits the lower 48, and as of this past July I also own a lovely eMTB from Focus. After thoroughly (re)enjoying the thrills of MTB sports - after a 24y hiatus - here in southwest France, I finally returned to my home state of California for my usual summer sejour or work and pleasure. What I found on the trails of NorCal left feelings of frustration and condemnation.

Signs banning ALL USE of ANY eBIKES! They are everywhere, conspicuously posted a the trailheads of fantastic hills rides surrounding all the cities of the San Francisco Peninsula. eMTB are totally illegal on 98% of California trails, parks and recreational areas, in 2022!

I did see one eMTB, ridden by a German Google engineer who imported it (illegally) to USA. Beyond that, every other ebike was also massive, heavy, bulky and just no where near the level of advancement we enjoy in Europe. Why? 🤦‍♂️

So I visited my alma mater - UC Santa Cruz - and went to the original shop for Santa Cruz bikes on the west side of the town I lived 22 years ago. Passing Scotts Valley, where Fox Racing forks and Zero Motorcycles are built and HQ-ed, I thought "if any place in USA were to have eMTB, surely it would be Santa Cruz Bikes".

I asked about the electric Heckler, to the collective reaction of contempt and cajoling from the staff, echoes of "out-of-shape cheaters don't need apply". As for the eHeckler? Special order ONLY.

There was a single person I encountered who was thrilled about my query and my new Focus enduro bike. I can run a kilometer in 4 mins so the "cheater" accusation doesn't hold water with me, and seeing I am in better shape than most of the staff half my age, the peanut gallery ceased their silly commentary.

I left the shop of Sant Cruz bikes bemused and bereft. How had this become such a divisive issue? Why are Californians (and Americans) so far behind the global trend on eBikes and eMTBs? Why are eMTBs illegal??

/end rant

Note: California is NOT representative of the USA.

In Pennsylvania, we have no such issues. And we have a far more diverse and interesting set of places to ride. And there are 48 more states to explore beyond that.

jerry

Dec 22, 2018
Belgium
In EU5, I'd say 90% of EMTBs sold fall under the EU-regulated definition (max power output, max speed). In US, for lack of such widely applied standards, too many ebikes should in fact be seen as electric motorcycles (that happen to have pedals). These machines are so damaging to trails, that it would make sense to bar them outright, there's no means to filter them out.

rod9301

Oct 10, 2020
US
I live in Tahoe, not sure if it's legal or not, but I've been riding my mtn r bike for 4 years without any problems.

Even if it's illegal, nobody has time to enforce it

Quinterly

Apr 22, 2020
Vancouver
Fortunately we don't have the same attitude by land managers in BC. Just about everything is open to Class 1 ebikes on the same footing as acoustics. The only exception I know of is the Whistler high alpine (not the bike park, the local trails) but that's really ecologically sensitive and hard to access so I suspect it's to keep traffic down as opposed to anything else.

It's unfortunate that when you think of the origins of modern mountain biking, it's Marin County and then the North Shore and yet the attitudes seem so different.

Ushtang

Sep 14, 2020
USA
...Beyond that, every other ebike was also massive, heavy, bulky and just no where near the level of advancement we enjoy in Europe. Why? 🤦‍♂️

The bulky, heavy, usually hub driven, Amazon ebikes are most accessible due to their cost and probably why you see so many of them.

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Here's the dealio.....As mountain bikers in the USA, we did it to ourselves. We shot ourselves in the foot. When eBikes first came to the United States, there were a serious amount of haters. Many felt that riding an eBike was cheating. If you rode an eBike you were cutting to the front of the line. This sentiment was based on a complete ignorance of how eBikes operate.

At the outset, there was no support for eBikes from local riding clubs and regional mountain biking associations. Hiking groups in America such as the Sierra Club, hate all forms of mountain biking. These groups are very vocal, organized and have huge financial and political backing. They are constantly lobbying politicians in an effort to remove mountain bikes from trails. They saw an easy opportunity to take out a new form of mountain biking called the eBike. Nobody spoke up....

Local and national politicians were influenced by hiking groups and also traditionalist mountain bikers who made false claims at public hearings about eBikes operate, i.e. they'll catch fire and burn the forest down, they'll destroy trails, people will be seriously hurt when the high speed eBike runs someone over over. This was all bullshit, but it doesn't matter, the damage was done. Laws and local ordinances were passed, restrictions made and enforced. Nobody spoke up....

Fortunately, the situation is changing for the good. eBikes are becoming much more accepted on trails. Unfortunately, many jurisdictions passed no eBike on trail ordinances and it will take time to undo the damage that has been done.

Kevjob51

May 22, 2022
Colorado
I live in Colorado in Jefferson County which allows emtb on all same trails that mtb are allowed on. The land managers did a pilot test program to study if emtb had a bigger effect on destroying trails than mtb do. They also talked to trail users, hikers, horse people, mtb and had a public forum for debate. The mtb riders were the most vocal about denying access to embt riders ironically.

There are alot of ignorant know it all douche types in America and in mtb community. Most of the ones against embt have never ridden one but have the loudest opinions against them. Some of the "purists" are against them cause they get passed by some fat guy and they hate that probably cause they are strava queens who brag about riding a bicycle uphill faster than some, LOL:p

Sudastone

Aug 14, 2022
San Jose, Ca
At the outset, there was no support for eBikes from local riding clubs and regional mountain biking associations. Hiking groups in America such as the Sierra Club, hate all forms of mountain biking. These groups are very vocal, organized and have huge financial and political backing. They are constantly lobbying politicians in an effort to remove mountain bikes from trails. They saw an easy opportunity to take out a new form of mountain biking called the eBike. Nobody spoke up....

Don't forget about the equestrians. They are also very vocal in opposition to any form of mountain bikes.

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I left the shop of Sant Cruz bikes bemused and bereft. How had this become such a divisive issue? Why are Californians (and Americans) so far behind the global trend on eBikes and eMTBs?
/end rant

Bemused AND bereft? That's harsh. I hope you've since recovered.
Maybe the guys at Santa Cruz shut you down because they thought you were a foreigner coming to poach our trails and women.

Next time, email me before you come. I'll grant you permission to ride wherever you want. If anyone questions you, tell them that Rob said it was ok. I can also teach you to grab your crotch and display the proper fingers toward anyone who hassles you.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand

Your mistake was returning to California. I left 45 years ago and every time I go back to visit family I become even more thankful I left.

shakeystart

Jun 23, 2020
1617daY
Here's the dealio.....As mountain bikers in the USA, we did it to ourselves. We shot ourselves in the foot. When eBikes first came to the United States, there were a serious amount of haters. Many felt that riding an eBike was cheating. If you rode an eBike you were cutting to the front of the line. This sentiment was based on a complete ignorance of how eBikes operate.

Local and national politicians were influenced by hiking groups and also traditionalist mountain bikers who made false claims at public hearings about eBikes operate, i.e. they'll catch fire and burn the forest down, they'll destroy trails, people will be seriously hurt when the high speed eBike runs someone over over. This was all bullshit, but it doesn't matter, the damage was done. Laws and local ordinances were passed, restrictions made and enforced. Nobody spoke up....

Fortunately, the situation is changing for the good. eBikes are becoming much more accepted on trails. Unfortunately, many jurisdictions passed no eBike on trail ordinances and it will take time to undo the damage that has been done.
Good background! Since the USFS recently passed rules change allowing class 1 on most USFS land, that will help. The locals have final discretion on their trails, so we're not home yet. The unrestricted Ebikes (E motorcycles essentially) that we are seeing a lot more of in towns, are not helping our cause. I am in a small mountain town, and the number of those bikes has tripled in the last year. I see 10 yr. olds going double the posted speed limit all the time and to most people they don't see a difference. arrgh!

RobG

Apr 27, 2022
Fulltime RV
Normally I'd never make a reply that will be as politically charged as this, but it's extremely relevant here, so here goes.

The US is heavily politically-oriented. It is very much a Left vs Right thing. The Left (the democrats) have been pushing for 50+ years to force themselves into power so they can control everything and everyone. The complacent majority has allowed it and now it's about to happen. One of the weapons of the Left has been to sew discord between groups of people. They claim to be the ones who are all accepting, not racist, or anything else, yet they're the ones participating in Identity Politics and any time somebody who isn't white has a problem it's blamed on racism. Again, the goal is to keep people upset and blaming others... in this case, the Left dictates that it must be the fault of all White Males, of Republicans, or anybody who doesn't carry their party line and think like them. If you're poor, it's because anyone with more got that way by stepping on you. That sort of thing.

And because of all these years of "training" (brainwashing is more like it), people will automatically dislike anything different. All it took were a few people to start trumpeting the "cheating" aspect of ebikes and it stuck. Couple that with another Leftist facet of trying to shut down all public land to anything other than hikers and horses, and it's a perfect storm. The Eco-Left hates technology. They believe we should return to the stone ages because they feel that humans are a virus destroying the earth. So we're stuck with this ridiculous Wilderness Act of 1964 that locks up public land in many areas... no bikes, no wheelbarrows (yes, its says that in the law), no aircraft over it under 3000' (it maybe more), etc, etc. Yet you'll see liberal hikers in their synthetic clothing and gear and GPS units hiking through it. But they want to turn ALL public land into Wilderness to keep people out of it.

In a way, this is a good thing -- it's waking people up. In the past, mountain bikers tended to side with the hikers against OHV. Now they're seeing out that ebikes are being classified the same as any other motorized vehicle (which is ridiculous). It's time that mountain bikers -- ALL mountain bikers -- got on the right side before they find themselves locked out of their favorite riding areas along with the rest of the OHV community. We can't afford to "hate" OHVs... we're on the same side. Yeah there are bad apples, but there are bad apples in every group.

So in recap, the attitude towards ebikes here is because of political conditioning over the years designed to pit groups against one another. And it's to get them to vote politicians into office that "promise" to "fix" the problem (they can't). It's ultimately all about political power and politicians and activists are using the people to get what they want.

shakeystart

Jun 23, 2020
1617daY
Normally I'd never make a reply that will be as politically charged as this, but it's extremely relevant here, so here goes.

The US is heavily politically-oriented. It is very much a Left vs Right thing. The Left (the democrats) have been pushing for 50+ years to force themselves into power so they can control everything and everyone. The complacent majority has allowed it and now it's about to happen. One of the weapons of the Left has been to sew discord between groups of people. They claim to be the ones who are all accepting, not racist, or anything else, yet they're the ones participating in Identity Politics and any time somebody who isn't white has a problem it's blamed on racism. Again, the goal is to keep people upset and blaming others... in this case, the Left dictates that it must be the fault of all White Males, of Republicans, or anybody who doesn't carry their party line and think like them. If you're poor, it's because anyone with more got that way by stepping on you. That sort of thing.

And because of all these years of "training" (brainwashing is more like it), people will automatically dislike anything different. All it took were a few people to start trumpeting the "cheating" aspect of ebikes and it stuck. Couple that with another Leftist facet of trying to shut down all public land to anything other than hikers and horses, and it's a perfect storm. The Eco-Left hates technology. They believe we should return to the stone ages because they feel that humans are a virus destroying the earth. So we're stuck with this ridiculous Wilderness Act of 1964 that locks up public land in many areas... no bikes, no wheelbarrows (yes, its says that in the law), no aircraft over it under 3000' (it maybe more), etc, etc. Yet you'll see liberal hikers in their synthetic clothing and gear and GPS units hiking through it. But they want to turn ALL public land into Wilderness to keep people out of it.

In a way, this is a good thing -- it's waking people up. In the past, mountain bikers tended to side with the hikers against OHV. Now they're seeing out that ebikes are being classified the same as any other motorized vehicle (which is ridiculous). It's time that mountain bikers -- ALL mountain bikers -- got on the right side before they find themselves locked out of their favorite riding areas along with the rest of the OHV community. We can't afford to "hate" OHVs... we're on the same side. Yeah there are bad apples, but there are bad apples in every group.

So in recap, the attitude towards ebikes here is because of political conditioning over the years designed to pit groups against one another. And it's to get them to vote politicians into office that "promise" to "fix" the problem (they can't). It's ultimately all about political power and politicians and activists are using the people to get what they want.
You are my people! There is an interesting thread over on MTBR: https://www.mtbr.com/threads/city-o...for-bike-e-bike-traffic-safety.1208280/page-8

papab

Jun 10, 2018
colorado
@RobG
You're right about the far left, but you're post is mostly wrong.
Jefferson County, Colo, where ebikes are allowed on county open space is left of center.
Colorado state parks are open to ebikes, the state government is controlled by Democrats.
The big push against ebikes is coming from a segment of mtn bikers (in addition to the hard core anti everything folks).
Both sides push division, but the right has resorted to bigger blatant lies, and attempted a coup and is attempting to thwart democracy at every level.
I'm not going to engage in a long political discussion here, if I don't respond to your response it's not because you've said something brilliant that I can't refute, it's more likely you've said something stupid & I don't want to waste my time.

@jhumphries79
We ride (illegally) on BLM and USFS land here (central colorado). No compaints from other riders. USFS & BLM don't have the resources to write tickets.
I do think the hard core mtbers are relaxing about this. I've met a few who said they've changed there minds. The bike shops here carry quality ebikes.

Write to the USFS, BLM , your congress & senate reps. Mtb's used to be illegal too.

MTBR poisoned the United States ebike well early on; creating a specific forum for ebikes and then allowing the anti-ebike haters full reign in controlling the narrative; which not surprising, was anti-ebike. Even the moderators were in on it. It got so bad that the mtbr site creator came aboard the ebike threads to help clean things up and bring the focus back on ebikes as well as bringing on a pro-ebike moderator to police the forums. The anti-ebike sentiment on that site originated mainly from the same type of Californian trolls who very likely were the ones advocating & lobbying land managers from allowing ebike access to "their" trails. These folks put forth ridiculous scenarios where ebikers were ripping uphill, at near PAS cut off speed limits, while they labored and struggled up hill; almost being physically nudged aside on the trail by the boorish ebiker. And no moderator ever challenged them. Seen alot of early e-mountain bikers basically give up and leave that forum for good. I've got not much use for the mtbr ebike forums anymore.

What it boils down to is that you have a very selfish, vocal and politically active group of mtb folks who do not want anyone riding, hiking, walking, daydreaming or what have you, on "their" trails. These folks and their attitude are an off-shoot of the hard core, spandex wearing road bike crowd; though they will never admit to it.

It is all about the political divide. Take note, the great majority of the regions and states with the most virulent anti-ebikers and trails denied to ebikers are mainly leftist dominated in the state and county offices.

It's almost ironically funny that California, the state that has about mandated the extinction of the ICE powered automobile (or any other ICE powered device for that matter) is also the one with the most divisive, anti-ebike trail use rules in the country.....

Traveler99

Apr 30, 2020
Sammamish, WA
Luckily things are starting to change. Here in the Pacific Northwest we have amazing trails and big mountains. Most are closed to eMTB’s. There are some test areas open and some (few) single track trails open. Recently I have participated in meetings with local land managers who are addressing eMTB rules and evaluating opening more areas to eMTB’s. The most vocal groups against this are the equestrians and the hikers. Mostly their fear of the unknown and lumping pedal assist eMTB’s together with e motorcycles. Change happens slowly here but it will happen. In the meantime most everyone just rides where they want no matter what the signs say and there is very little push back if any. I’ve been riding my Levo for 2 ½ years everywhere with no problems. I’m very nice and courteous to analogue riders and they really don’t seem to care that I’m on a eMTB.

yomoe

Jun 9, 2020
So Cal
I live in So Cal. Don't think I've ever seen a no ebike sign around here. We ride every trail on ebikes around here with no problems. The only ones not allowed on the trail are the ones with a throttle and no pedal assist

deserthi

Apr 6, 2021

You are nothing but just another right wing crazy Q! I have reported you and hopefully they will remove this post and you!

jimslade

Jun 14, 2019
south lake tahoe, ca
I live in Tahoe, not sure if it's legal or not, but I've been riding my mtn r bike for 4 years without any problems.

Even if it's illegal, nobody has time to enforce it

My second home is outside of SLT, and I do the same. I typically ride early in the morning so I don’t see anyone and it’s cooler, but also means I don’t have to deal with any anti-emtbers either.
I see more and more ebikes on the trails each year so I think it’s only a matter of time (another year or three?) before restrictions are relaxed. I’m obviously not waiting for that though…

Ron Castner

Sep 9, 2020
California
I ride my trusty Turbo Levo in So California usually three times a week. I have been stopped 3 times by park rangers in Chino State Park with various outcomes however none of them resulting in a fine. I believe the biggest problem is the Rangers don't know a Class 1 bike from a Class anything else. Human nature being what it is the Rangers want one rule to apply to anything with a battery in it. Makes their job easier and no need to educate yourself about ebike classes. Now having said that I do get the feeling enforcement is slowly changing and is now starting to be biased more on how you're riding and not what you're riding. So same as with a regular bike share the trails in a safe manor and don't be an asshat. IMHO that's how we move forward.

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
If y'all can't play nicely I'll take your ARs away.

Keep the politics out of it please.

TikTok is where the real action is these days, can't be searched.....wouldn't ya know that a post about something in "Merica would be the one to draw out the six guns. I think in my last post I mentioned something about divisiveness here in the land of the free?

johnf0246

Jan 22, 2021
Sedona, Arizona
Luckily things are starting to change. Here in the Pacific Northwest we have amazing trails and big mountains. Most are closed to eMTB’s. There are some test areas open and some (few) single track trails open. Recently I have participated in meetings with local land managers who are addressing eMTB rules and evaluating opening more areas to eMTB’s. The most vocal groups against this are the equestrians and the hikers. Mostly their fear of the unknown and lumping pedal assist eMTB’s together with e motorcycles. Change happens slowly here but it will happen. In the meantime most everyone just rides where they want no matter what the signs say and there is very little push back if any. I’ve been riding my Levo for 2 ½ years everywhere with no problems. I’m very nice and courteous to analogue riders and they really don’t seem to care that I’m on a eMTB.
Traveler 99 who is the Landmanager?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles