The loser of the test: Trek Rail 9.9.

Zorg

May 5, 2021
I
Anyone seen this ? The loser of the test: Trek Rail 9.9 . Seems the worst test review I ever seen on the Rail.

The final conclusion , In our 2022 eMTB group test, the Trek Rail 9.9 XX1 AXS wasn’t able to assert itself against the competition in any situation.

I was thinking on upgrading to 2022 but now I might go with the Rise.

Last edited:

BrentD

Jun 25, 2020
New Zealand
If they changed the (pretty ordinary) Bontrager tyres for something better, one imagines it would have scored much better. A pretty simple and relatively inexpensive fix for prospective owners. What was more or less the same bike won the same test last year.

Zorg

May 5, 2021
I
If they changed the (pretty ordinary) Bontrager tyres for something better, one imagines it would have scored much better. A pretty simple and relatively inexpensive fix for prospective owners. What was more or less the same bike won the same test last year.

There was an issue with the battery which was much more problematic.

So why this very low grade ? Supposed to be almost the same bike as the 2021. The other bikes got better ?

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
There was an issue with the battery which was much more problematic.

So why this very low grade ? Supposed to be almost the same bike as the 2021. The other bikes got better ?

I wouldn't even worry about it. The same bike won the test last year. I'd take their 2022 opinion with a grain of salt.

Rob's post on page 5 here shows how laughable their review is

Zorg

May 5, 2021
I
I wouldn't even worry about it. The same bike won the test last year. I'd take their 2022 opinion with a grain of salt.

Seems you are right.

So, what review do you believe besides Rob's ? As Rob does not test all the bikes there is. And I can't take all the bikes to a test ride.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Seems you are right.

So, what review do you believe besides Rob's ? As Rob does not test all the bikes there is. And I can't take all the bikes to a test ride.

Same bike won the 2020 and 2021 loamwolf best Emtb.

I chose the 22 rail 9.8XT for 3 reasons 1. It’s the Spec I want with shimano gears and brakes. 2. The suspension was adequate for the bike and my riding 3. It was available within 5 months of ordering.

gbarfoot

Sep 1, 2020
Colorado usa
I rode a 21 and was not impressed, did not provide much confidence in the front end for me. Always wondered where all the hype came from....just thought it was me and my preferences. Anyway point is try to ride them if you can what others like you may not.

Ebike3rr

Apr 1, 2022
USA
I rode a 21 and was not impressed, did not provide much confidence in the front end for me. Always wondered where all the hype came from....just thought it was me and my preferences. Anyway point is try to ride them if you can what others like you may not.

Here is a new review by Guy.

Def hard to reconcile the two reviews.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Interesting... Was that with the crappy bontager tyres or real tyres? What is your preference, what bike do you own now & how do you find it different?

gbarfoot

Sep 1, 2020
Colorado usa
Interesting... Was that with the crappy bontager tyres or real tyres? What is your preference, what bike do you own now & how do you find it different?
I'm not sure what tires it had honestly....but compared to a giant trance E and a levo SL it didn't impress me or my buddy who rented it.

Zorg

May 5, 2021
I
So the consensus is that the se’s are bad. So why do trek continue to ship the bikes with those ? Also why didn’t they check the bike sent to the test and fix the rattling?
This aligns with my experience , change tiers on the spot in the store and do not relay on trek support. The bike itself is great.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
that seemed a pretty minor quibble to them; I don't think better tyres would have saved it in this review. However, at that price point, I really wouldn't want to have to change anything.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah yeah he could probably do the same on a raleigh 20.
The flipside of that is that a slow mediocre rider like many here will never actually put the most advanced gripiest DH tyres to anywhere close to their limits.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Also why didn’t they check the bike sent to the test and fix the rattling?
Often a demo/test bike is shipped from place to place without ever going back to HQ so any issues the last tester had and didn't address might be present on arrival.

Oupy

Feb 22, 2022
Australia
It's clear they have based the whole review on the wobbling battery which is why its so contradictory to their previous rail review. It's a shame really as it seems like it would have been easy to remedy.

The rail is renowned for its capability and stability downhill and they have rated it for slow flow trails only here due to the battery wobbling.

It's like doing a car review with a loose wheel and rating the car crap due to it being unstable at speed...

Tartam

Mar 30, 2022
Norway
Trek Rail can be used from commuting, recreation....to extreme enduro/downhill, it is up to everyone what they need, or use the bike for. I use mine for all of these 😊👍 For me the Rail it's all about the very good frame/geometry and Bosch motor and how the bike feels and I know that I can make it exactly how I like, which I did. It could be of course in a " perfect bike shopping world" optional to custom build small parts, before ordering like fex. suspension, brakes, drive, wheels, tires,etc...but unfortunately its not like that 😔. Every bike out there have good and bad things and we choose them based on our taste/fit/purpose etc....its not about money anyway, because all of them are expensive and it's only one way when we own one of these bikes "more money 🤣" . It's a hobby after all and it's about happiness and having a good time/enjoy every time we ride and if I will be so unsatisfied with all the good expensive bikes out there, then I will sell everything and buy the cheapest bike out there in shops 😊👍. Rail is a very good bike for me and others but not for everyone.

Last edited:

Bremsbacke

Nov 24, 2021
Germany
E-Mountainbike has tested the Rail a few weeks before in a single test with nearly the same result. The question for me is: Why did Trek have sent them a bike with same battery issue again?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
E-Mountainbike has tested the Rail a few weeks before in a single test with nearly the same result. The question for me is: Why did Trek have sent them a bike with same battery issue again?
Probably the same bike.

The rattle battery issue is such an easy fix... I also had it on my demo bike that I received from Trek in October last year, it took me 5 minutes to fix. Theres a way of adjusting the bottom battery mount. I guess theres was a 1-2mm of play, leading to some movement.

I guess that the that the first batch of early bikes were not correctly set up (or not even set up at all, sometimes they come direct from production lines without a proper PDI / inspection, if press embargo deadlines are tight).

It's always a tough one with these reviews/tests, because they shouldn't arrive like that. But sometimes, shit happens, and its not like every bike will arrive to a customer like it, and it would have made sense to fix it before reviewing it.

For what its worth, me and my mate both have the new Rails, and there isn't any battery rattle at all. In fact, its pretty quiet. Bosch seem to have also made some running changes to the motors, they're not as rattly as before (its still there, but more damped).

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
I care about many riders feedback not the shit called reviews wich is advertising.
What i read is Rails do not deliver.
My bike shop sells Trek and Giant.
Giant is more affordable and more reliable.
Guess, i ride a 2021 Giant/Yamaha.
I pre ordered a . . . . . 2022 Giant/Yamaha.
For the last 3 years i ride, smile and recharge.
I change chains and tires, no problem with my systems.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
I care about many riders feedback not the shit called reviews wich is advertising.
What i read is Rails do not deliver.
My bike shop sells Trek and Giant.
Giant is more affordable and more reliable.
Guess, i ride a 2021 Giant/Yamaha.
I pre ordered a . . . . . 2022 Giant/Yamaha.
For the last 3 years i ride, smile and recharge.
I change chains and tires, no problem with my systems.

Lucky you, in the last three years my mate has had three new Yam motors in his Giant. It's now at the back of his garage as he has lost confidence in it and he rides a Bosch powered Forme Black Rocks.

I do agree with your views on magazine reviews though, be they bikes or cars.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Lucky you, in the last three years my mate has had three new Yam motors in his Giant. It's now at the back of his garage as he has lost confidence in it and he rides a Bosch powered Forme Black Rocks.

I do agree with your views on magazine reviews though, be they bikes or cars.
I guess he is a washer. It is the first time i read about triple failures with Yamaha.
I read a rider had lots of problems like he bought a lemon the shop gave him his money back.
I wish all riders got a good bike or their money back.

Ebike3rr

Apr 1, 2022
USA
Probably the same bike.

The rattle battery issue is such an easy fix... I also had it on my demo bike that I received from Trek in October last year, it took me 5 minutes to fix. Theres a way of adjusting the bottom battery mount. I guess theres was a 1-2mm of play, leading to some movement.

I guess that the that the first batch of early bikes were not correctly set up (or not even set up at all, sometimes they come direct from production lines without a proper PDI / inspection, if press embargo deadlines are tight).

It's always a tough one with these reviews/tests, because they shouldn't arrive like that. But sometimes, shit happens, and its not like every bike will arrive to a customer like it, and it would have made sense to fix it before reviewing it.

For what its worth, me and my mate both have the new Rails, and there isn't any battery rattle at all. In fact, its pretty quiet. Bosch seem to have also made some running changes to the motors, they're not as rattly as before (its still there, but more damped).

Rob, how do you adjust the battery on the rail? You have mentioned that it is very easy. Is it the two screws at the bottom of the battery compartment closest to the motor? Would be great if you detailed that. Much appreciated.

Alex Ebiker

Mar 24, 2022
Wiltshire

It didn’t win it last year in this category. That was won by the Merida eone sixty 10k. The trek rail 7 won last year in best under €5500 category.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles