The 2022 Giant Trance E+ rear stay length. It is an issue?

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
I'm waiting on my first eBike a Giant Trance X E+1 and can't wait tbh! I've out a substantial deposit so committed to the purchase. Thing is I'm watching a lot of reviews online and they all talk about the really long rear chain stays and how it makes the bike feel a bit lifeless.

Spending 9.5 K is a lot for a bike, and I swing from being excited about the new ride to worrying it will be dull on the trail. I'm only 5.5" too and 74KG so also mildly concerned about the wheels being 29". With no test bikes available here in New Zealand- I'm kind of buying blind.

Does the long chain stays and big wheels make this bike fun to ride or dull? Will converting it to a mullet with 160mm up front make it more fun? Keen to hear some thoughts.

Last edited:

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
Hi, I have the 2021 Trance E, this was my first emtb too, and I bought it blind !!!
After 1 year and 2000km of riding im still loving it. As a first bike you can't go wrong with it, yes there are more lively options but it all comes down to what kind of rider you aspire to be ?. The bike does everything well, but its not focused on one area, its a great allrounder. Im 5'11 and 85kg and have the size large (should have got a medium) which weighs in at 25kgs, this is my only issue with the bike, its heavy. I tested a canyon spectral on cf8 today on a mullet and wow, its a weapon compared to mine, however its carbon, 23kgs and around 12,500k in your money, so not really a fair comparison. Having said that, my brother was riding my trance and in the DH sections I was struggling to stay with him on the canyon. My best riding is trail/all mountain and the trance excels at this. On the 625 battery it just keeps going and going and when your faced with a monster hill you'll be glad you got a long chain stay. If you do bike parky/DH enduro stuff there are probably better options given your size and weight but tbh for a first emtb the Trance is a blast.

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
Hi, I have the 2021 Trance E, this was my first emtb too, and I bought it blind !!!
After 1 year and 2000km of riding im still loving it. As a first bike you can't go wrong with it, yes there are more lively options but it all comes down to what kind of rider you aspire to be ?. The bike does everything well, but its not focused on one area, its a great allrounder. Im 5'11 and 85kg and have the size large (should have got a medium) which weighs in at 25kgs, this is my only issue with the bike, its heavy. I tested a canyon spectral on cf8 today on a mullet and wow, its a weapon compared to mine, however its carbon, 23kgs and around 12,500k in your money, so not really a fair comparison. Having said that, my brother was riding my trance and in the DH sections I was struggling to stay with him on the canyon. My best riding is trail/all mountain and the trance excels at this. On the 625 battery it just keeps going and going and when your faced with a monster hill you'll be glad you got a long chain stay. If you do bike parky/DH enduro stuff there are probably better options given your size and weight but tbh for a first emtb the Trance is a blast.
Thanks man. Appreciate the feedback. Good to hear some real world thoughts vs Youtube videos that see to be pretty theoretical 🤣

For the riding I'm going to be doing I feel it will be perfect. Fireroads, Rooty, buffed and rocky single track and mountain scree. I'm going small based on some research, and previous trail bikes that just feel better having more room to get my ass over the rear. I hear many riders expressing they will go smaller on their next ride!

The bonus is that the Fox fork is a cheap and simple upgrade to hit 160mm (that I feel will be sweet on this Trance) and with the longer stays it will definitely keep it planted on the ups and downs I guess. I do like climbs and can't wait to have bionic legs 🤪

Do you like the bigger wheels? Was there a transition to riding them? Last trail bike I had was a 27.5 and last 29er was back in the early days (2010?) and your feet hit the front wheel when turning 😆

Last edited:

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
Just a note. Ive just been checking out the Norco range of 2022 bikes that are getting really great reviews. Their bikes (including downhill) have the same overall wheelbase of the Trance (a few mm difference) and their eBike specific trail/ enduro bikes have pretty much the same rear end too (1 cm difference).

Interestingly the reach and top tube length of the SMALL Trance is the same as the Norco medium. Happy I chose SMALL size now as the medium would have been to long.

Looks like longer, slack and low 29er ebikes are very much the go these days. I've found it interesting comparing bikes that have good reviews and they are offering some similar characteristics.

Will be good to get thing bike and get it dirty. Enough talk- need more ride 😅😂

Last edited:

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
Might be of interest to you, I’ve got a demo day on the Orbea rise booked this Saturday, I’ll report back on comparison to the trance if you like
Surething! Thanks man. By the way just noticed you are from Kent? That's where I grew up - Canterbury. Moved to Australia in 2000 and NZ in 2007. Man oh man Kent is a beautiful part of the world! I must go back once all this BS is over.

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
Wow, that’ll be a trip down memory lane for you. Yup, I live in Biggin hill, right on the north downs way, which I’m planning to complete this year. As your probably aware runs through your old town of Canterbury 👍. Must say I wouldn’t mind a run round your neck of the woods either, just looks like an amazing place to adventure ride

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
Wow, that’ll be a trip down memory lane for you. Yup, I live in Biggin hill, right on the north downs way, which I’m planning to complete this year. As your probably aware runs through your old town of Canterbury 👍. Must say I wouldn’t mind a run round your neck of the woods either, just looks like an amazing place to adventure ride
Awesome. I love Canterbury and did my first degree at the university too. Good memories. Yeah New Zealand is pretty awesome for the outdoors. Once I get out on my ride I'll share some photos and stories. I'm hoping to use the bike to get me into more remote places to camp and take photos. I live a few hours from the Southern Alps which is a great place to explore. Here is an image from a trail there.

cragi1.jpg

DogRanger

Nov 24, 2021
Orange County, CA
The long chain stays and resulting longer wheelbase can be an issue in tight switchbacks on single tracks. In this area those are common and most riders find them a lot of fun so I encounter that frequently in group rides. Simply put, a longer wheelbase means a greater turning radius and those of us less skilled find that a little challenging but rarely a deal-breaker. The 29-inch tires (something I adopted many years before electric assist) improve traction so for any minus there is an equal or greater plus.

That said, the longer chain stays help in climbs both for traction and keeping the front wheel down. They also make for a more supple ride so you can also go further with more comfort.

I absolutely love my Trance eMTB. My philosophy is there is and will be a better bike for any particular section of trail so no matter what you're on now you might prefer a different bike over the next ridge or around the corner. But once I'm on the bike that doesn't come to mind for a second. It's just fun to be out there riding the bike.

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
So, just reporting back after my demo on the Orbea rise today. It was the carbon version with the lighter battery and I have to say it was overall rather underwhelming. I was expecting great things from this bike being 5kgs lighter than my trance but for me it just didn’t do it, so I’ll be staying on the trance for the foreseeable future

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
So, just reporting back after my demo on the Orbea rise today. It was the carbon version with the lighter battery and I have to say it was overall rather underwhelming. I was expecting great things from this bike being 5kgs lighter than my trance but for me it just didn’t do it, so I’ll be staying on the trance for the foreseeable future
Awesome :D Thanks for the report 😎

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
The long chain stays and resulting longer wheelbase can be an issue in tight switchbacks on single tracks. In this area those are common and most riders find them a lot of fun so I encounter that frequently in group rides. Simply put, a longer wheelbase means a greater turning radius and those of us less skilled find that a little challenging but rarely a deal-breaker. The 29-inch tires (something I adopted many years before electric assist) improve traction so for any minus there is an equal or greater plus.

That said, the longer chain stays help in climbs both for traction and keeping the front wheel down. They also make for a more supple ride so you can also go further with more comfort.

I absolutely love my Trance eMTB. My philosophy is there is and will be a better bike for any particular section of trail so no matter what you're on now you might prefer a different bike over the next ridge or around the corner. But once I'm on the bike that doesn't come to mind for a second. It's just fun to be out there riding the bike.
Some great reviews ! I'm so excited to get mine. Waiting...... 😏😃

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
I'm waiting on my first eBike a Giant Trance X E+1 and can't wait tbh! I've out a substantial deposit so committed to the purchase. Thing is I'm watching a lot of reviews online and they all talk about the really long rear chain stays and how it makes the bike feel a bit lifeless.

Spending 9.5 K is a lot for a bike, and I swing from being excited about the new ride to worrying it will be dull on the trail. I'm only 5.5" too and 74KG so also mildly concerned about the wheels being 29". With no test bikes available here in New Zealand- I'm kind of buying bind.

Does the long chain stays and big wheels make this bike fun to ride or dull? Will converting it to a mullet with 160mm up front make it more fun? Keen to hear some thoughts.
You won't regret it. NZD9,500 is not a lot for the specs. They do have a longer chain stay, but that has its advantages. Giant are renowned for more bangs for your dollar. At least a thousand dollars cheaper than for the equivilant spec'd Specialized. I ride with geriatrics, and I am the only one riding Giant. ( 2019 Trance E +1 Pro) 11,000kms up now and apart from early issues with the Ride Control One, have had no major issues. Regular maintenance after every ride IMO is the key. They take a thrashing and will go though chains and the odd cassette. I'm on my 5th or 6th chain, and third cassette. A good LBS is also important. My 2022 Giant Trance X arrives early May, and I can't wait to get it out there on the West Coast/Tasman/Nelson/Marlborough MTB tracks. Get hold of me if you are down this part of the country and want to go out for a group ride..

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
You won't regret it. NZD9,500 is not a lot for the specs. They do have a longer chain stay, but that has its advantages. Giant are renowned for more bangs for your dollar. At least a thousand dollars cheaper than for the equivilant spec'd Specialized. I ride with geriatrics, and I am the only one riding Giant. ( 2019 Trance E +1 Pro) 11,000kms up now and apart from early issues with the Ride Control One, have had no major issues. Regular maintenance after every ride IMO is the key. They take a thrashing and will go though chains and the odd cassette. I'm on my 5th or 6th chain, and third cassette. A good LBS is also important. My 2022 Giant Trance X arrives early May, and I can't wait to get it out there on the West Coast/Tasman/Nelson/Marlborough MTB tracks. Get hold of me if you are down this part of the country and want to go out for a group ride..
Thanks! That's a great review- much appreciated. The local bike shop also mentioned that I should stock up on running gear and pads given the current shortages. I'm hopefully picking the Trance up next week and can't wait. I'd love to come along for a ride and keen to come visit in my camper for a weekend! Sounds like a great way to spend the weekend- new trial and new friends. Really appreciate the invite. I'm based in Christchurch.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I've been thinking on this awhile. I bought the original Trance e+ in 2019 knowing zero, zip, nada about ebikes or mountain bikes in general. I didn't know what a CS was🤓

But, I really liked the Trance, even as a 27.5 machine, I had plenty of fun on it. The emtb Trance basically replaced my motorbikes.

The 2021Trance X 29er was a big improvement on the original, I think, and then the Advanced comes along after that, and Giant continue to be invested in the longer CS design of maestro.

Giant has made a great e-trail bike. The X is a bit of a steam roller, but it does roll nice long CS or not, and I consider myself spoiled with these Xers.

Last edited:

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
Thanks! That's a great review- much appreciated. The local bike shop also mentioned that I should stock up on running gear and pads given the current shortages. I'm hopefully picking the Trance up next week and can't wait. I'd love to come along for a ride and keen to come visit in my camper for a weekend! Sounds like a great way to spend the weekend- new trial and new friends. Really appreciate the invite. I'm based in Christchurch.
Christchurch is a great place. Had a daughter and her family living there for a few years, and my wife and I used to visit every 6 weeks or so. All the family now live in Blenheim, so I am keen to ride the Christchurch Adventure Park MTB tracks some day before I get too old!!!!. Ski Lift means lots of thrilling downhill stuff, and not too tired for a red wine or two at the end of the day.!!!!
Flick me an email some time: [email protected]
Look forward to hearing from you.
Penzance #1.JPG

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
Christchurch is a great place. Had a daughter and her family living there for a few years, and my wife and I used to visit every 6 weeks or so. All the family now live in Blenheim, so I am keen to ride the Christchurch Adventure Park MTB tracks some day before I get too old!!!!. Ski Lift means lots of thrilling downhill stuff, and not too tired for a red wine or two at the end of the day.!!!!
Look forward to hearing from you. View attachment 86228
This was on the Penzance Bay to Elaine Bay walking/mtb track. Grade 3 & 4 track. A month ago I had a big 'OFF" at this point. Landed on my back about 15-20 metres down the steep slope. Saved from serious injury by my full face helmet and day pack filled with compressed bubblewrap etc. 2.5 km after the start of the ride!!!! My geriatric mates and I have decided no more Grade 4 for us. Takes too long to recover!!!!

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
Look forward to hearing from you. View attachment 86228
Just emailed you. Look forward to catching up. 😁

LielyF

Apr 13, 2022
Auckland, New Zealand
I just took my 2022 Trance X E+1 for it's maiden voyage at Woodhill, Auckland this weekend. Epic bike. My first e-MTB but I have a 2021 Trance X 29er so am familiar with the general geometry. Punched out 34km of trails (on varying modes) and still had 37% battery left. Felt right at home on the bike straight away and felt much more 'planted' than the analog bike. Power in the highest mode is amazing. Can't really beat the spec for the price (I searched high and low for anything close). I'm sure you will have a lot of fun on it, great all rounder as mentioned previously.
IMG-8321.jpg

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
I just took my 2022 Trance X E+1 for it's maiden voyage at Woodhill, Auckland this weekend. Epic bike. My first e-MTB but I have a 2021 Trance X 29er so am familiar with the general geometry. Punched out 34km of trails (on varying modes) and still had 37% battery left. Felt right at home on the bike straight away and felt much more 'planted' than the analog bike. Power in the highest mode is amazing. Can't really beat the spec for the price (I searched high and low for anything close). I'm sure you will have a lot of fun on it, great all rounder as mentioned previously. View attachment 86313
Awesome! That's really impressive battery life! What size is it? Checked in with the local bikeshop today and except delivery next week!

Will be great to hit the Porthillls! One thing I need to do is get a bike rack as that ain't going to fit on my van 😅

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
I just took my 2022 Trance X E+1 for it's maiden voyage at Woodhill, Auckland this weekend. Epic bike. My first e-MTB but I have a 2021 Trance X 29er so am familiar with the general geometry. Punched out 34km of trails (on varying modes) and still had 37% battery left. Felt right at home on the bike straight away and felt much more 'planted' than the analog bike. Power in the highest mode is amazing. Can't really beat the spec for the price (I searched high and low for anything close). I'm sure you will have a lot of fun on it, great all rounder as mentioned previously

welcome to the E club mate, your gonna have a blast 😁

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles