the 16mph 'legal limit'?

LawmanMtb

Aug 15, 2018
Wigan
don't shoot me for asking BUT is the speed legality cover ALL Emtb's in the Uk or can you have more MPH on a closed course circuit?

LawmanMtb

Aug 15, 2018
Wigan
so can all the Uk bought Ebikes can be errrrm 'Boosted' to 20/25/30+mph? and where do i gen myself up on such practices? ;)

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
There's a section on here about de-restricting bikes, generally it's not discussed on the wider forum because some members have very strong (and reasonable) views against it.

In short, the specialized brose motor can be derestricted using an app on your phone, the bosch with a plug in dongle. No idea about the shimano.

Personally it's something I see both pros and cons with, I would like to be able to go faster on tarmac on the way to the trails, but I worry about haters using strava evidence to shut down trails that are already dubious legality. Life would get very dull if we could only ride the official trails.

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
I agree that the 25kph limit for ebikes is somewhat arbitrary and frustrating on the road, but deristricting is just going to give us all a bad name and could lose us access to trails for all rider types, not just pedal assist ebikes.

Last edited:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I’ve been commuting on my Powerfly this week (I was too tired after Sunday’s blast to ride my clockwork bike and carried on with it all week) and agree that the 15.5mph cutoff is a pain in the arse. I can hit that in a couple of pedal stokes and then I hit the wall and the acceleration tails off to normal levels. On roundabouts it can be unnerving as the car drivers may think you will continue to accelerate at the same rate and make their decisions based on that.

Reactions: Dax

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
I have de-restricted my bike [Brose motor], as has my partner [Shimano motor]. It's only really of benefit when doing transport sections to the riding areas, but this is reason enough I feel.

You can try it out and then reverse the de-restriction at your leisure. As mentioned above, pop into the relevant part of the forum for details.

LawmanMtb

Aug 15, 2018
Wigan
I agree that it's Ok for 'Normal' types of riding BUT I am finding it Very unnerving when cranking at any bigger sized gap jumps or senders and the dreaded drag kicks in :eek: I am also struggling to navigate this site at the moment so could one of you Lovely people PM me a thread link please ;)

Dawnrazor

Patreon
Jun 11, 2018
Somerset
My Cube 160 AT is standard and I find it fine for 90% off-road, sometimes a chore on the firetracks and road linking bits. I have a Speedbox 2 fitted to my Mondraker (Bosch) which I use for communting (b-roads and lanes) which can do up to 40mph assisted. It is I believe illegal, although you can turn it off on on with the walk button. At my skill level I would kill myself off-road with it, but its your choice! It's easy to fit...

Speedbox 2 for Bosch Gen2

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Just a word of caution .....if too many de restricted e bikes are caught we all risk legislation of all kinds including mandatory insurance (not a bad thing)....for me the 15 mph is fine. Just means you have to pedal harder after that.
Looking at some videos you can see the potential damage analogue bikes can do on some trails so I wonder how long our E bikes will,be tollerated?
If you want to go faster buy an e motorbike.! Take a test ,wear a m/c helmet road tax etc etc.and take up Motorcross.
BUT meantime have fun

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Still this misconception exists you can only go as fast as your gearing will allow, a very strong rider does not need motor assistance to reach the limit of their gearing, a weaker rider does but both will end up hitting the same max speed, one is breaking the law one isnt!!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles